The thing which worries me the most about the iMac....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cowman007, Apr 27, 2007.

1. cowman007 macrumors regular

I was in the market the other day looking at the iMacs. I'm hooked to their design and OSX. Im waiting till October for Leopard and Santa Rosa. The thing which worries me the most however is the fact that Apple used Laptop parts to build this desktop machine. NOw im a complete idiot when it comes to hardware but aren't laptops less reliable then dekstops. Essentialy by including laptop parts doesn't the iMac seem more prone to breaking down. Someone help me out please!!!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd say the only part of a laptop thats more prone to breaking down is the hard drive. which is a non-issue in the iMac for two reasons. one, it won't be moved aggressively like a laptop, and they use a 3.5 not a 2.5 inch hard drive in there. other than that, there is nothing that is 'prone to breaking' in the iMac anymore than a desktop. notebook processors aren't going to 'break' basically.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

No,
    The reasons laptops break more is because they are beaten around, lugged everywhere, dropped :eek: *that poor MBP didn't know what it was getting into...* the hardware is just as stable and reliable, it just gets beat up.

If you think about it, the iMac is really a laptop minus battery and a bigger screen and a bit more space to work around in.

Now personally if im getting a non mobile pc i get a big tower like my G5 *soon to be Mac Pro :)*, if i want to move it around I'd get a laptop like the MBP.

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd say you've got nothing to worry about in terms of reliability of the iMac compared to any other Mac. Like Rokem said, the reason laptops are typically less reliable is that they are carried around and often mistreated in the process. If reliability is the only thing you're worried about, I'd say go ahead and get the iMac.