Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Justify it however you like. 6 people possibly missed out on getting it on launch because you decided you wanted to charge them a premium to get it on launch day, something they could have done themselves if scum scalpers such as yourself didn’t buy them all up to sell for profit. I was saying you may get scammed, I was saying that I hope you do
Yeah that’s rather spiteful.

If the OP was able to repeatedly order one after the other then the demand in that time frame was low. Wishing for somebody who has legitimately bought something to get ‘scammed’ is pretty low. Scammers are the true scum of the earth and condoning what they do to people through internet transactions is appalling.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
You've been able to swipe from the left on the lock screen to access the camera for years. Also, a camera shortcut in the control center...

Swipe left for camera has cost me at least 7 AMAZING photographs. I’m so hopeful that there might be a better solution.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
What really sold me was that Face-ID often doesn't work in the outdoors and the other times it just works!

If you read only one review, this is the case. Nilay Patel (The Verge) insisted on using the phone at full arms length straight down basically at pocket level, face looking straight down at it.

Of course it's going to not work as well when you force it to use the absolute maximum distance in high-noon sun. Don't worry about it, unless you're smug and broadcast to millions that it's iffy based on odd, unexpected behavior.
[doublepost=1509482219][/doublepost]
You are both right. You can still swipe up, but only after you enable the "edit" mode by holding down on one. When the "-" button shows you can then swipe up as before, or tap the minus.

It's to discourage mass app closing which is of no benefit to the user.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Chacocliff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2014
One of the main things that I was concerned with is the Reachability function, since the phone is taller than the plus models.

IllusionEntity

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2013
Kent, UK
Yeah that’s rather spiteful.

If the OP was able to repeatedly order one after the other then the demand in that time frame was low. Wishing for somebody who has legitimately bought something to get ‘scammed’ is pretty low. Scammers are the true scum of the earth and condoning what they do to people through internet transactions is appalling.

I’m not interested in your judgement of what I am saying, but thanks anyway

He took away the opportunity of 6 very excited people getting their iPhone X on launch day. Just so he could sell it to them for profit. That is what is appalling. Apple should limit the sale to two per customer. I hope they do because then this will kill the scalpers. At the very least make it much more difficult to be able to buy 6 iPhones for launch day delivery.

Reactions: Aydy

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
One of the main things that I was concerned with is the Reachability function, since the phone is taller than the plus models.

I think I read somewhere today that it's still available. Buried somewhere in Accessibility. From what I recall reading, it's a small tug down on the bar there at the bottom. Don't have mine yet to verify, but I did run across that somewhere today.
[doublepost=1509483222][/doublepost]

To be fair, I'm totally not interested in your judgement of what he's saying.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

He took away the opportunity of 6 very excited people getting their iPhone X on launch day. Just so he could sell it to them for profit. That is what is appalling. Apple should limit the sale to two per customer. I hope they do because then this will kill the scalpers. At the very least make it much more difficult to be able to buy 6 iPhones for launch day delivery.
You were obviously interested enough to take the time to respond and further justify your opinion.

I have no problem with buying and selling for profit on consumer products. Until Apple or other retailers put measures in place, it’s perfectly legal and morally so. You openly admitted to hoping he gets scammed while selling it, therefore you support criminal activity. I can’t agree with you at all..... ‘But thanks’.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
So...not to make anyone mad but i've got 5 Xs on delivery this Friday, will be selling them and pay for the 6th one that is coming in a couple of weeks later.
Why would you even post this? It's completely irrelevant to your thread topic. You've posted it solely to "brag" about being a scalper, 100% knowing that it would incite arguments. Now this thread has turned into a complete ****-show just because of it.

Reactions: Hal~9000 and Aydy

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
No one deserves it more than the next person. Still doesn’t justify what you are doing.

ROTFL, tomorrow morning I’ll try pass at the Ferrari store in town, maybe I’ll convince them that as I’m more excited and “fan” than the guy next to me they should sell me the new car for less...hey, I’ve desired that California way before that moron with the money and I am way more excited! I deserve it more than him mamma!
[doublepost=1509484160][/doublepost]
Why would you even post this? It's completely irrelevant to your thread topic. You've posted it solely to "brag" about being a scalper, 100% knowing that it would incite arguments. Now this thread has turned into a complete ****-show just because of it.

1- yes, I did want to also make a point that there is nothin ethically wrong with scalping an iPhone (yes, because since I am scalping this iPhone I can’t stand anymore to read what I believe are senseless idiocies about the topic).

2- this thread is not the Divine Comedy, we will all be fine.

Reactions: Regime2008

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I still don't understand how OP was able to order 6. In the U.S. (I have 1 line for phone and 1 line for hotspot) it is impossible for me to order another phone on my (iPhone) line since I pre-ordered one already. Apple gave me an error and so does Verizon stating that there's already an order open for my line. Even if I wanted to sell mine, it would still be tied to my Verizon account unless I open the 10 and remove the SIM prior to selling it.

Any way you look at it scalpers are scum of the earth. You're either A) depriving people of something they want for your own secondary gain (people who got locked out of pre-orders), or B) marking up a product so that suckers with money will pay more than they have to for said product, again for your secondary gain. You are harming / taking advantage of another person, for your own gain, no matter how you define 'scalping'. Which is despicable.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I feel so incredibly lucky not being so incredibly dumb.

You are so hopeless you don’t even understand that every single time you have ever bought every single pathetic product or service you have ever owned you have taken advantage of some other person because you are a “sucker” who is willing to pay more than the other guy, thus increasing prices and making it more difficult for people with less money than you -sucker- to get the thing. And guess what, you don’t do it only on an indispensable shiny iPhone, no, you sucker with money maybe pay insurances, pension plans, maybe even visits at a doctor just for your own gain when maybe someone with less money than you sucker needed that doctor more than you!

Wow. Thanks for the laugh. Enjoy your 6 phones.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
So Apple remove the home button and replace it with a swipe gesture, but then remove the camera swipe gesture and replace with a 'button' (force press)? Why do that - the swipe from the lock screen was fine. Again breaking consistency with iPads and earlier iPhones for no clear reason

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I was already convinced by the X's dimensions and gesture controls. I've said it many times before that the best combo for me would be LG V30 AND iPhone X. I need both Android and iOS, and I need both wide-angle and Telephoto.

Now this video below convinced me NOT to use Face ID on Halloween next year, isn't right for Middle-Eastern Muslims and Indian women needing to cover up, or trying to go skiing or snowboarding.

Sorry Rey, Kylo Ren, Darth Vader, Iron Man, Batman, and most Halloween fans and Comic-Con cosplay.

7ca8483b7e666570c9fe5ebcf5328c05--star-wars--books-for-kids.jpg

Reactions: vannibombonato

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Face ID probably won't recognize anyone wearing Groucho Marx glasses. No wonder Apple is releasing it three days after today. Smart.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I watched iJustine close a series of apps rapidly by swiping up. This was from the multitask view.
[doublepost=1509475197][/doublepost]

TouchID didn't reliably work either. When your hands were inadvertently oily or wet, forget about it.

Looking forward to Just unlocking the phone this winter

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure FaceID didn't work outdoors for The Verge was because he might've scanned/set up FaceID in a dark condition.

He also mentioned at one point in the article that he contacted Apple and was told he was holding it too far away. It needs to be about 10"-20" from the face. Which means for whatever reason, this guy seems to hold his phone at arms length while using it. For the most part, I never see people holding a phone that far away. I certainly don't hold mine 2 feet from my face.

Combine that with the fact that no one else is having the same issues and I think we have an outlier, not a true representation of FaceID. Plus there was the guy who used it all day at Disneyland. He certainly didn't complain about it being too bright outside.

Reactions: vannibombonato

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
TouchID didn't reliably work either. When your hands were inadvertently oily or wet, forget about it.
Amen to that. TouchID was really frustrating in the first go-round; now I consider it nearly flawless. I expect incremental updates to FaceID over time as well.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not expecting to win a popularity contest on this one and the argument has been beaten to death, but still IMHO on the whole scalping thing:

1- Who decides how many phones it is "right" to sell? 1 and you're a good guy? 2 is ok? 3 you're greedy? It's just personal preferences, it's insignificant.

2- I'm not scalping a drug or a ticket for a concert that won't be held again and that someone might miss (i.e. the poor kid that bla bla bla). I am scalping a completely unnecessary luxury item bought by high-income-individuals that will be available by the millions in a few weeks time and that was available for everybody at the very same conditions it has been available to me.

3- I actually feel GOOD about ensuring that people that are ready to pay 25% more for the thing sure as hell do so, and i feel GOOD at being the one doing it because it is not luck: i had to be someone passionate about tech, reading the forums, the tricks, i had to prepare, to advance the money, to now take the risk, to then sell them, and bla bla. It's called "work" (albeit honestly very easy and quick for me), and chances are i am going to be paid for it.

4- For the same logic i don't think a patron in a restaurant should be feeling bad at taking my money when i'm dumb enough to ask him for another bottle of his overpriced "last" bottle of Champagne because i've decided to indulge with my friends. He is rightfully parting the idiot (me in that case) with his money. He is doing right for society.

Nobody "deserves" an iPhone, it's a luxury item that is on sale on the free market, end of the story. There is nothing ethical about an iPhone. What you don't realise is that you all whining for iPhone scalpers are morally equivalent to, say, a Paris Hilton the day she starts whining because someone else bought a limited edition diamond before her the she soooooo desperately wanted right now.

Regarding being scammed, it's pretty simple in reality. What is likely to happen is:

1- Either i'll be selling them at a profit with no scam, as it's going to be only cash, in person, inside a bank city center (where i live and as i always do).
2- Either i will be robbed.
3- Either i won't be able to sell them and have to return them, and decide whether i want to pay full price or not.

And guess what, as a tech fan i'm sure i would love to open one of the boxes come this Friday, but i won't, and it will be a sacrifice that someone else does not want to do and will be thus willing to pay for that.

I struggle to see what can possibly be ethically wrong with this.
[doublepost=1509479221][/doublepost]

Right there, along with flashlight.
It's either going to be single tap if the phone is already awake, or an easy double tap: tap to wake, tap to camera. (something any other phone has had forever and that i've always missed..).

Fiddling with swipes does not cut it when you're out at sea scrambling for a photo.

https://techcrunch.com/gallery/12-neat-hidden-features-in-iphone-x/slide/5/

That would be the lock screen not home screen. And I think that button is redundant since swiping left like it’s always been is just as fast

serialiphoneuser

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
You know if you saved up a few months you’d be able to afford an X. You don’t have to take it out on us.

I wouldn't purchase it even if it were given away for a $. I expect products I purchase to make things simpler and take less effort.. not tougher and requiring additional effort to do things. iPhone X is no-go due so much swiping and Face-hoisting required.

Kingmarz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
I wouldn't purchase it even if it were given away for a $. I expect products I purchase to make things simpler and take less effort.. not tougher and requiring additional effort to do things. iPhone X is no-go due so much swiping and Face-hoisting required.
You sound bitter dude, it’s so obvious

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.