The time bug bit me too

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowDX, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Anyone know if this bug is resolved in 4.2? Both my iPhone and my iPad have the time an hour behind now. We don't have DST where I live but my time switched today as if we did.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is not a bug. Check the iDevices' time zone. You might have it set incorrectly.

3. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

WHy don't you guys set the time to ON automatic?

[​IMG]

I've never had to set the time on any smartphone. It's set by the network provider.

4. SnowDX thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd say it's a bug. My time is set to automatic, and it changed my time from what it was, to something it shouldn't be. If this would have been a work day, I'd have been an hour late.

Just now I did turn off the automatic and the time zone displayed was correct and both devices then automatically updated my time back to the correct time. Then I switched it back to automatic and the time stayed correct. We'll see if it sticks.

I just hope this doesn't happen every DST switch as I normally don't keep track since we don't observe it here. I've just been aware it was today due to others posting about their alarm issues.

5. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

I was just going to say to toggle it.

My Blackberry did that once and I live in Bangkok!

It got back an hour for some reason. I toggled the setting (in BB is called Network Determined") and it got back on time again.

It's a network thing.

and it's only ONCE a year. ;)

6. SnowDX, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010

SnowDX thread starter macrumors 6502

I was cross posting with you. Both my iPad and iPhone were set to automatic. My kid's touch doesn't have that option and it was fine.

And what network provider would my iPad be using? I am not signed up with a 3G plan and cellular data is turned off.

ETA: and the other 2 numbers on my account with non-iPhones had the time not changed by the network, so this doesn't seem to be a network issue

But what network would my iPad with no data plan be using?

I don't claim to know much about DST, but isn't it twice a year? They have to set the time up an hour again else they'd be moving back an hour every year and not making it up. Regardless though, I normally have no idea when it happens and I think its even different depending on country. So should I be putting each possible DST change in my calendar to remind me to see if my devices changed time when they shouldn't have? And if they were going to erroneously switch, which time zone would they do it so I know when to watch our for it? ;)

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I got hit with the bug as well. I looked at where my iPhone was getting its time from, and sure enough it was a city in a different time zone. Set it manually and I've had no problems since.

8. SnowDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine was the *correct* city. I also set mine back to automatic and the time is still correct this morning on both my iPhone and my iPad. But automatic shouldn't involve "toggle automatic setting 2x per year at daylight savings time that your location doesn't observe". :D

9. cipher29 macrumors regular

Mine is set to AUTOMATICALLY.. My time changed fine, but, my alarm which was set for 7AM this morning went off at 8AM... Turns out I was up anyways at 4 (had to take the wifey to the hospital), but, definitely got the bug..