The timer in Control Centre seems like a waste

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Matt T, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

Just an observation - I think having access to the timer from control centre seems like a bit of a waste. Since control centre's role is partly a quick settings panel, replacing the timer with the settings app makes more sense to me - especially since using Siri to start/check the timer is more convenient and faster IMO.

2. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I like it, it gives me quick access to my alarms and world clock.

3. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

For me, it would be more useful to have this as either the Settings app or as a mute/unmute button for sound effects (only on the iPod touch though, seeing as other devices have their own mute switch on the side).

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I love it. I set silent alarms all the time when I'm on the train, so I don't miss my stop - Siri is out of the question because it's too noisy/conspicuous; having quick access to my alarms is great!

5. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I really hope Apple doesn't make us wait until iOS 8 to be able to change the icons that appear in Control Centre.
    We should be able to do that in iOS 7.1 at the latest :p

6. BlankStar macrumors regular

I don't understand why the camera is on the Control Center... It's already on the lockscreen if you quickly need it :-s

Hope there will be an option to change what's there as "app"

7. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

When you use control center when not on the lockscreen, it provides easy access to the camera app. And when you are on the lockscreen, if you pulled up control center by accident, it's in the same place as the pull up for camera app.

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

You're in an app, something is happening that you need a picture of *right now*, swipe up > camera > done.

I do agree though that I would rather have the control settings icon than the timer app in control center.

9. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

It's not just for the timer - it goes into the Clock App.

It is VERY useful for me since I"m setting alarms and stuff pretty frequently, it's easy access to the Alarm function.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Since they have calculator there, why not have notes or something like that then? Seems like we all have some preferences that would work better for us at least for some of those items.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree. I hardly ever use the calculator, and I would love it if I could replace that with a quick link to some other app. The clock, I use sometimes, but there are other apps that I use more frequently that would be handy to be able to access from control center.

12. willryan42 macrumors regular

I'm almost certain that once an iOS 7 jailbreak is released that we'll be able to customize control center to our own liking.

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Almost makes you wish it would be user-configurable...but that'll never happen. :p

14. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I set alarms and timers fairly often. I used to use Siri to set timers, but its so much easier to just flick up the control center. I do agree the settings app would be a nice addition.

15. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I think the flashlight should be with the wifi, do not disturb, etc toggles and we should be able to select our four apps down there...

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I like it. I use it every hour (PT stretches). Its so much easier to get to quickly than sliding to unlock and finding the app etc.

17. spencers, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

I've grown to love it.

I can easily set DND and switch on my alarm before going to bed.

Having another button for Settings would be helpful, especially from an IT standpoint. I'd rather not dig through the icons just to find the Settings app.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple should just let us tap and hold an icon to change what launches even in the toggles section.

What I would if that was the case:

-Replace the orientation lock toggle with the Hot spot toggle.
    -Replace do not disturb toggle with a mute toggle.

-Replace the clock app with settings app
    -Replace the calculator app with contacts app.

19. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I frequently use it for stopwatch functionality.