Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2021 was a whirlwind of a year when it came to Apple rumors. Many of the rumors this year turned out to be accurate, like the MacBook Pro getting a notch, but some failed to materialize, like the flat-edged Apple Watch Series 7.

What-Else-Apple-2021-2.jpg

With the year now drawing to a close, we thought it would be fun to look back at six of the biggest Apple rumors of 2021.
1. MacBook Pro With a Notch

macbook-pro-notch-weibo.jpeg

Out of all of the rumors that circulated throughout the year, the last-minute rumor suggesting the redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros would feature a notch stands out prominently. The rumor surfaced just a few days before Apple's highly-anticipated fall event focused on the Mac and it was met with quite a lot of skepticism.

To much surprise, the rumor ultimately came true, with Apple adding a notch to the new MacBook Pros as a means of reducing the bezels around the 14-inch and 16-inch displays.

2. Siri Leaking an Apple Event

siir-apple-event-april-20.jpg

In early April, Siri leaked that Apple would be holding an event on April 20, a few hours before Apple officially announced the event. When asked when the next Apple event is, Siri responded with "the special event is on Tuesday, April 20, at Apple Park in Cupertino, CA" and said more details were available on Apple.com. While not a "rumor" by definition, it was still a high-profile leak that confirmed Apple's first event of 2021.

As a refresher, Apple's "Spring Loaded" event in April 2021 was packed with new product announcements, including the AirTag, a redesigned 24-inch iMac, a new Apple TV and redesigned Siri Remote, and revamped 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models. In 2022, it is likely that Apple will hold another event in the similar March-April timeframe.

3. Flat-Edged Apple Watch Series 7

prosser-apple-watch-series-7.jpg

In May, Apple leaker Jon Prosser reported that a future Apple Watch, presumed at the time to be the upcoming Apple Watch Series 7, would feature flat edges. The flat-edged design would have been a departure from the curved design of previous models and the first significant redesign to the Apple Watch since its introduction. The rumor quickly became the most talked about feature of the Series 7, when little else was known about what to expect.

To much dismay and mystery, the rumor did not prove to be true. In fact, quite the opposite happened, with Apple emphasizing the Series 7's more rounded corners. While we might never know for sure why the flat-edged Apple Watch Series 7 rumor failed to materialize, there are a few possible explanations.

4. MacBook Pro Gets Its Ports Back

2021-macbook-pro-ports.jpg

In January of 2021, respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo dropped a bombshell of a report outlining for the first time what the world could expect from Apple's next-generation MacBook Pros later in the year.

Kuo, some 10 months before the new MacBook Pros officially launched, revealed that they would include an entirely new design with 14-inch and 16-inch sizes, additional ports like HDMI, the removal of the Touch Bar, and the return of MagSafe. Kuo's report was largely corroborated by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who revealed that one of the connectivity options returning would be an SD card slot.

These rumors in early January were the first time we had learned new details about the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros, which Apple announced in October of the year.

5. Redesigned iPad mini

iPad-mini-pro-feature-2.jpg

In the summer of 2021, credible display analyst Ross Young shared that the upcoming iPad mini would feature an 8.3-inch display with narrower bezels and the removal of the Home Button. Young's report added to information shared by Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who both claimed the iPad mini would be significantly redesigned.

One of the largest points of contention was whether Apple would include Face ID in the bezel or embed Touch ID into the Side Button, similar to the iPad Air. The later proved to be accurate, with Apple announcing the sixth-generation iPad mini with a new design, USB-C port, Touch ID built into the Side Button, 5G support, and the A15 Bionic chip.

6. Colorful New iMac

jon-prosser-imac-2021colors.jpg

Around three months before its official unveiling, Apple leaker Jon Prosser shared that Apple's first iMac redesign in several years and the first with Apple silicon would feature a lineup of different colors. Prosser followed Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who was first to report that a new iMac with smaller bezels was in the works.

Conclusion

2021 was a busy year for Apple in which it updated several of its product lines. Looking ahead to 2022, expectations are high for Apple, as the company is rumored to announce its first AR/VR headset, continue its transition to Apple silicon across the Mac lineup, and more. Rumors and reports are always hard to keep track of, but luckily, MacRumors has a comprehensive guide to help get you ready for 2022.

Article Link: The Top 6 Apple Rumors From All of 2021

bluespark

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
"Dismay and misery" over the rumored flat-edged watch? Quite the opposite among those of us who like watches.* No one needs their watch to look more device-like, and the flat-edged "design" would have been constantly snagging on clothing. I bought a S7 Apple Watch and would have hard-passed on the rumored design.

*Okay, I'm sure I'm not speaking for everyone. But seriously, that rumored design was ugly and inferior to what we got.

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess
I think the Apple Watch Series 7 takes the cake. It was an epic fail. So many people were expecting a total re-design of the Apple watch. Many people were also disappointed that did not happen. The fact we got a very little update was just the icing on the cake.

Hopefully it comes into a reality for the Apple Watch Series 8. Since Apple is expected to release 3 different models of the Apple Watch in 2022.

Last edited:

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess
Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
"Dismay and misery" over the rumored flat-edged watch? Quite the opposite among those of us who like watches.* No one needs their watch to look more device-like, and the flat-edged "design" would have been constantly snagging on clothing. I bought a S7 Apple Watch and would have hard-passed on the rumored design.

*Okay, I'm sure I'm not speaking for everyone. But seriously, that rumored design was ugly and inferior to what we got.
I'm well happy there was no flat redesign. Didn't want a watch with edges that would chip if knocked

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess
And maybe himself or his “source” got in trouble with Apple, remember there was an article here saying Apple is tying down?
That's a good point.

I have noticed he has not been posting as much anymore. Especially when it comes to Apple. Majority of his videos are correlated with the reports with Mr. Gurman, or Kuo. He hasn't made much content with his own sources lately.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm well happy there was no flat redesign. Didn't want a watch with edges that would chip if knocked
How would that be any different with a round version. You can still easily accrue chips with round versions if hitting an object on the corners. There’s really no difference here just because it’s ‘edged’. Damage on the watch casing has many variables, which there’s plenty of empirical data over the years in the Apple Watch forum where chipping was most likely on the rounded edges and near the band port.

Reactions: Shirasaki

StupidOpinion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2021
the macbook pro was the only thing i cared about this year. the performance was good, but with some obvious disappointments.

performance = phenomenal

design = good except for the notch

display = possibly the best miniLED display there is. HOWEVER, Pro Motion was a disappointment. it's not as smooth as a 120/144hz monitor that you would expect to see from a PC gaming monitor. motion tests were very poor, even if you're just scrolling around websites.

keyboard = not good. even with the thicker laptop design, the keyboard was still very flat and did not provide for optimum typing.

Reactions: ikjadoon

MrPresident

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Manchester
The Apple Watch 7 design rumour was such a tease! Obviously divisive but I would have bought one despite not needing to update.

When the actual redesign arrived it was very disappointing!

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
The Apple Watch 7 design rumour was such a tease! Obviously divisive but I would have bought one despite not needing to update.

When the actual redesign arrived it was very disappointing!

That's the other thing about leaks. Apple likes to claim it's all about "protecting the delight our users have when they see innovation at our official events."

But, leaks also inevitably showcase Apple is mostly issuing iterative updates. Those updates aren't necessarily exciting after 12 months of waiting.

Thus, rumors set up too-high expectations and Apple knows they're not going to deliver anything close to the rumor this year, thus dampening sales & quarterly earnings.

Aka the Osborne Effect, but with rumors!

The Osborne effect is a social phenomenon of customers canceling or deferring orders for the current, soon-to-be-obsolete product as an unexpected drawback of a company's announcing a future product prematurely.

svish

macrumors 601
Nov 25, 2017
Was very excited to see the 24” iMac in all its colours. Really thought Apple watch would get a redesign with flat sides this year.
Looking forward to the product launches of 2022!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.