"The Top Phone in Top Damaged List"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by A-etius, Nov 19, 2010.

1. A-etius macrumors newbie

Read the swedish Newspaper DN (economics section) this morning about the iPhone 4G having a fragile screen. Thought you might want to hear what they said. I'll post a TLDR version and a long google translated version, fixed a few grammar fails, but probably missed some. Yes im swedish, but quite lazy ^^

TLDR:

• iPhone 4G is expensive but extremely fragile.
    • 100 iPhones, in Sweden, are flooding into repairers every week.
    • Almost exclusively due to glass cracking.
    • Repairing costs about 218 dollars
    • Since glass is on both front and back of the phone, that is bad
    • Insurance company If (as in, If **** happens) says that iPhone 4s are alot more common than other phones on the market together to be damaged and brought to them.
    • The Weak Link in iPhone 4 and its predecessor, iPhone 3G, is the screen.
    • Apple representatives in Sweden have not responded to DN, blah blah.

I myself havent noticed any trouble now after 2 weeks of having the phone after my birthday. I keep it in a wallety case and no screen protection (since i use the case). Most is probably nonsense and just overreacting from the newspapers side, but i cant tell, havent really looked it up. How is the screen compared to old iPhones? But maybe more importantly, to other phones on the market?

Extra article speaks about a man who makes alot of money repairing phones, more recently iPhones.

2. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

They should have used gorilla glass or really high quality, replaceable plastic.

...except apple doesnt like you replacing anything on their stuff.

3. vachargerfan macrumors regular

If you drop your laptop does the manufacturer replace it for free?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The main problem with the iPhone 4's design from a repairability standpoint is that the front glass, the LCD and the digitizer (basically the touch sensor) are heavily integrated.

If you drop the phone and the screen breaks, you'll probably have to replace all three.

The older models had the three separated.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Because the use cases are different I'm not sure what your analogy means.

6. vachargerfan macrumors regular

It means that people seem to me more careful with other electronic devices other then phones. For example, do you jump out of your chair with your laptop sitting on your lap? The answer is no. People complain about how fragile the iPhone is, but it isn't built to withstand abuse. If people stopped treating it like a 99 dollar flip phone, and more as a computer, there would be less iPhones being damaged

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Unlike a laptop, mobile phones are meant to be hand-held and carried around in a pocket or a purse or something.

This doesn't mean that they are made to be indestructible (like the water-proof, shock-proof, dust-proof Motorola Defy), but they should be made to handle shunts, bumps and the other wear & tear of everyday life.

There is probably a reason that in ~12 years of mass-producing cell phones (4 of those years being touch-screen phones) that no one had made one with the exterior being made completely out of glass.

Well, I guess now we know why. Because they will break.

Motorola Defy
    [​IMG]

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

every other phone I owned had a plastic screen that was scratched to death. thank God for apple to have the idea to use glass. my naked iPhone is practically perfect and only has micro scratches visible under direct sunlight

apple can't help that people are clumsy