The Top Ten Editors concerns about Final Cut Pro X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by martinX, Jun 23, 2011.

1. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Nice article. Probably would solve half the problems that I have just ranted about but it's to late in the day to re open FCPX!

It's funny because after the complicated blackness of FCPX, FCP7 look so nice clean and simple!

3. Gilly3000 macrumors newbie

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While I don't necessarily disagree w/the underlying sentiment I have to warn you that trolling is against the forum rules. I'm sure you are more capable of articulating your thoughts and opinions than this.

Lethal

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I think the title of the article is misleading. These really aren't the top concerns from most of the people I've heard from. He tries to sidestep that by saying this is just a list concerning "The cutter." But it doesn't work that way. Issues like EDL, OMF, XML, tape I/O, multicam, etc. are all important.

I'm also surprised one of the first things he didn't look for was the simple ability to use a broadcast monitor.

He also mentions the ability to edit DLSR natively. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm still under the impression that FCPX still transcodes the DSLR footage. It's just hidden in the background, giving you a more import and go type of feel. You're not actually editing the h264 footage.

The article does a good service showing people where certain commands/moves are now located and how they are applied, but most of the negativity towards FCPX hasn't been about that.

6. martinX thread starter macrumors 6502a

martinX

I think it's optional.

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

No, there are not, I am completely agreed with him.

FCP X is complete garbage. The software director should be fired if Jobs had some dignity instead of covering up such disaster. This will be Apple biggest flop in their history.

I work at a TV station and we are so frustrated with FCPX, it is a bad joke.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Working w/native AVCHD footage while transcoding happens in the background and your edit is linked to the transcoded files when they are ready is garbage? The speed increase is garbage? Being able to utilize a ton more metadata is garbage? Every edit and keystroke being saved is garbage? The improved scopes are garbage?

So don't buy it. I work w/over a half dozen other editors at a facility that's probably spent seven figures over the last 7 or 8 years creating an Apple-centric ecosystem and moving to FCP X in it's current form isn't even a remote possibility but calling it complete garbage is ridiculous. Hell, I'm not even considering it for my home system but I'm not so blinded by irrationality that see some long over due improvements in FCP X.

Lethal

9. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

fcpx is best thing since sliced bread. i remember the "uproar" over cheetah introduction. those doing the uproar look pretty stupid now. those making uproar over fcpx will look stupid also.

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Exactly. This is why I bought and installed Final Cut Pro X on my MacBook Air, because it means I can learn the new system over time and as they slowly bring it up to the level where it can replace FCP7 for me, until then I just keep Final Cut Studio 3 on my Editing Workstation, and proceed to learn FCPX on my MBA (Yes its not that great a Final Cut machine, but Im using very little HD to learn the UI, so no need for anything faster). And it means I can use it for the few things it already does better than FCP7 if I feel the need and have a project that this would suit.

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Just because it's bad for professional editors, doesn't mean it'll be a flop... I actually think it's going to be wildly successful. Apple made a business decision to appeal to a larger market. They are giving home users a significantly more powerful option at a reasonable price point that should make it very appealing.

Steve's going to laugh all the way to the bank, like he always does... I don't have any friends on the production side at Pixar, but I'd be interested to know if they cut their features on FCP and what they may tell Steve at the next board meeting haha.

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow Lethal hates it?

He never stuck me as someone who would run out and grab 1.0 software.

The foundation built for FCP X is fantastic, and way better than that old OS 9 port that the old version was. But it's going to take a long time for it to mature into a stable full feature release.

Can't hurt learning it now, even if your just going to be messing around at home with it.

13. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The old version was in no way an OS 9 port. As someone who has used Final Cut Pro v1 and v2 under Mac OS 9, they might have a vaguely similar UI, but underneath the entire thing was re-architected for FCP 3 on Mac OS X. It also doesn't look anything like a typical OS 9 application, and just comparing FCP 1 and FCP 7 you can clearly see they are worlds apart.

14. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

I am using it now, with footage from my canon 7d , sony nex5 and sony A55... No transcoding at all!
    If you want, you can do transciding in PRORES, i am not doing....
    Fastest UI, renders and workflow ever....

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I typically stay away from v1 of anything but, long story short, I had to try it out for myself. Mostly just so I could get first hand knowledge of it. There are a lot of conflicting reports of how things work or don't work as people figure things out on their own.

A guy at work installed it on his laptop and a few of us took turns messing around with it when we had down time. It's not that I hate it exactly, it's just unusable for a lot of people in it's current state (myself included). Add that to the fact that Apple recalled boxed versions of FCS (which seems to sink the idea of Apple concurrently supporting both versions until FCP X becomes viable) and it's easy to see how this very preventable firestorm erupted.

There are certainly some cool features in FCP X but there is so much that is either under developed or flat out missing that it's really just a disappointment. As I'm playing with it I'm not going, "Man, I hate this app" it's a lot more of just feeling let down. The Final Cut Pro brand brings with it certain expectations and FCP X, at launch, falls well short of them.

Lethal

16. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I wonder in what time frame the updates will come out and if they will be free for a while for FCP X 1.0 users.

From what I heard Apple has left upgrade pricing behind - so you have to pay full price ( a much lower full price) for every new version.

As this is the early version I could imagine that Apple will give some upgrades to early adopters without charging.

Here's an interesting article by David Pogue regarding the concerns.

He sent the list of complaints to Apple's engineers and had them reply.

It's very factual and a good read: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/professional-video-editors-weigh-in-on-final-cut-pro-x/

Interesting the comment section. Click on "highlights" then you can see what some editors say to David Pogue and what he replies. David's on his feet and can even handle some posts with too much temper in it very well. Interesting read.

17. LethalWolfe, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That is an interesting point about the upgrading pricing. IMO the only thing Apple could do worse is to add back all/most of the functionality they cut out and then charge another $299. There need to be a lot of big, free updates for FCP X. Of course, that's working under the assumption that Apple still wants the core FCP demographic as customers.

Richard Harrington's response is a must read. I mentioned this before, but I'm not sure why Pogue put himself in the position of being Apple's mouthpiece about a program and industry he admitted knows little about.

Lethal

EDIT: Just saw this from David Pogue's latest article, link:

18. singlestick macrumors regular

I don't use Final Cut Pro, and don't know squat about video editing. But I found Harrington's article absolutely fascinating. I appreciated how the editors were neither fanboys or bashers, but professionals passionately debating and evaluating a tool that they depend on to make their living.

19. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Totally agree.

Do you remember what happened when Aperture came out? Wasn't that also a little bit problematic? And then Apple dropped the price and returned some money to those who paid the higher price (if I remember well - I never used Aperture, I'm with Capture One).

Yes, I quoted that link on another thread. Very interesting. And entertaining.

Harrington and Pogue are great guys. Not easy to stay cool in this heated debate and provided good writing with a professional attitude.

This keeps the dialogue open.

But Apple has done it again to raise a lot of interest and emotion about a new product. There's almost as much heat as it used to be when expecting the sequel to "24" or "Prison Break".

That alone makes FCP X a blockbuster ;)

20. Igantius macrumors 65816

There was and although many thought Apple has ‘overpromised and under delivered’ (to put it diplomatically) with version 1.0, it was the way that Aperture’s price was heavily cut with Version 1.1, which really infuriated a lot of people. It was because of that reduction (or rather, the reaction) that led to Apple to refund the difference in the prices.

Quite interesting to look back!