The truth revealed about the iMac's Radeon 4850...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Willie Joker, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Willie Joker macrumors newbie

If this gallery is to be believed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/NikonDahl/NewIMac

Photo number 9 shows a device ID of 0x944a.

That belongs to the Mobility Radeon HD 4850, aka the M98 and not the desktop version.

Sorry to pop your bubble.

2. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

Good snooping ! But I already knew this :)

Apple told me it was a mobility, I dont think they've been hiding it ...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually no-one knew this before 100 percently. Many people told that their Apple rep told 'em that it's desktop model.

Let's wait for benchmarks!

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The iMacs have used mobile cards for at least some time now. This was expected.

5. Willie Joker thread starter macrumors newbie

Considering the size of the iMac now it's possible a large enough heatsink for the video card could have fit. Perhaps the thermal/power requirements couldn't be met.

At least if it's really a mobile version Apple should advertise as such.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I heard that GT120 and GT130 are desktop cards.

7. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

There were mixed signals, I agree. However, as i posted on another thread, I got this a while back :

"Hello,

Thank you for your email,

I have asked for your order to be put on priority, which is only in production, as we do not have a priority shipment option.

Kind Regards,"

That was good enough for me :)

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I always thought the iMac's had mobile cards as well only because I thought they handled the heat much better than desktop cards.

9. Willie Joker thread starter macrumors newbie

Many times there is little to no difference in software other than speed between the desktop and mobile verson of a card. Other times the mobile version lacks certain features of the same desktop card because of cost, etc.

The HD 4850 and Mibility HD 4850 will support most of the same features as far as software goes with the exception of the Mobility 4850 losing one RAMDAC and the HDTV encoder in hardware.

http://ati.amd.com/products/mobilityradeonhd4800/specs.html

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/specs.html

Speedwise should be close.

I just figured that with the 24" enclosure there could have been a well-designed cooling system in there. Guess not this time around.

10. L0s7man macrumors 6502

How much faster is is than the GT130 version?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We don't know before benchmarks but my guess is something like 5-15%

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i don't see why they wouldn't be mobile cards.. after all, 9400m is a mobile version, so why would a system that uses mobile chipsets use desktop cards? makes no sense.

all that i really care about are the benchmarks. hopefully we'll get a few people to post them up next week, or sooner, though i have a feeling that we'll see a good amount of performance increase over the gt130.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As expected then. If they had stuck with the white iMac cases, then perhaps they could have fitted a (perhaps downclocked) variant of the desktop card but not with the current aluminum cases. It would be nice to at least be able to swap cards. :mad:

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

No, those are also mobility cards. No recent iMac has used a desktop card and it's a certainty that the 4850 is a mobility card too.

What would be great is if one of the people who have received these would be generous enough to run a couple of basic benchmarks on them.

15. L0s7man macrumors 6502

That's weird; what's the point then? Extra 10-15% might be something, but why offer so similar options? Apple was never about choice. So why?

16. sgtbilko28 macrumors newbie

sgtbilko28

This wouldn't be improbable, same possibility really because they are low and medium performance cards. The desktop ship of the GT120 is puny.

4850 will be noticeably faster in benchmarks, plus ATI rocks when it comes to software reliability.

It is basically the fastest card they could shove in without the imac melting.

17. svalentine macrumors regular

Looking forward to some benchmark results. Once they are posted I will most likely place my order!

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I agree, it's driving me nutz that X number of people have these, and not a single one can take 20 minutes to give us some benchmark test results. I really do want to know if this card is as fast as Apple and ATI says it is, because if it is not I will cancel my order.

19. IrishBritish macrumors member

IrishBritish

20. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

No burst bubbles or huge surprises for me. :rolleyes:

It makes sense that the ATi 4850 chip on iMac would have been a Mobility solution; at least in my mind.

21. L0s7man macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't. For Linux users, ATI is a joke. Their drivers are a joke. If you even get the damn thing working, forget about 3d support...

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No-one uses Linux as a gaming platform, don't know about graphic designing. And you can't buy a computer with Linux installed. ATI writes a lot better drivers than nVidia does

23. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Sorry but Dell and several others wouldn't agree. Although they don't seem to be using anything more than the Intel installed graphics.

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Apple writes the nVidia drivers for Macs which is why ATI drivers are better :) .

25. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I thought that there were huge problems with a couple of the ATI mobile chipsets on Macs not delivering the promised performance, which is why many of us are trying to get more information to determine whether or not we should keep our orders in for 4850.