Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
than any iPad in its history.

Ok, so I’ve made no secret that I was very unhappy with the purchase of the 11 I made and mostly spoke of the ram but in reality it also had a lot to do with the bad process design and how the structural integrity of this iPad in the search to be the thinnest with the least amount of bezel width has made it unacceptable to me.

I work in a plant that has extensive CNC milling and lathe operations and took mine in for some second opinions on the form factor and structural inspection... long story short, was told to send it back for full refund while I can cause the $80 cheap Apple case wasn’t gong to help with keeping it safe with it being so flimsy. Also they think putting the magnets in it may be a problem with so little structural integrity. Now this is MY finding and opinion on the matter, if you don’t agree that’s fine, I’m good with how I got full refunds and moved on.

I sent back, got full refund on iPad and case, but over the last 10 days I see threads popping up all over of shell problems....

All I can say is that IF you get a “good” one you had better get a VERY ROBUST CASE for it to see if it lasts

Since I don’t want to wait another year+ for an iPad as I have one from 2016 Pro, I think I’m going to look at the 10.5 in a couple months to carry me over since it has the same amount of ram this years did anyway....maybe the next release will be one I can buy.

Reactions: deaglecat

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010

Ok, so I’ve made no secret that I was very unhappy with the purchase of the 11 I made and mostly spoke of the ram but in reality it also had a lot to do with the bad process design and how the structural integrity of this iPad in the search to be the thinnest with the least amount of bezel width has made it unacceptable to me.

I work in a plant that has extensive CNC milling and lathe operations and took mine in for some second opinions on the form factor and structural inspection... long story short, was told to send it back for full refund while I can cause the $80 cheap Apple case wasn’t gong to help with keeping it safe with it being so flimsy. Also they think putting the magnets in it may be a problem with so little structural integrity. Now this is MY finding and opinion on the matter, if you don’t agree that’s fine, I’m good with how I got full refunds and moved on.

I sent back, got full refund on iPad and case, but over the last 10 days I see threads popping up all over of shell problems....

All I can say is that IF you get a “good” one you had better get a VERY ROBUST CASE for it to see if it lasts

Since I don’t want to wait another year+ for an iPad as I have one from 2016 Pro, I think I’m going to look at the 10.5 in a couple months to carry me over since it has the same amount of ram this years did anyway....maybe the next release will be one I can buy.

I think the speck cases look sufficiently beefy for the new iPad pros. Though right now they don’t accommodate the 2nd gen pencil charging. Be interesting to see what their free 2nd gen upgrade looks like.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I think the speck cases look sufficiently beefy for the new iPad pros. Though right now they don’t accommodate the 2nd gen pencil charging. Be interesting to see what their free 2nd gen upgrade looks like.

The problem as I see is being so flimsy with the bad design is that the kind of case that will truly protect it will negate the whole purpose they were trying to make the thinnest tablet.

Seriously you will need hard encased covers to supplement the structure which will make it thicker than the 10.5 with Smart Cover in the end

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
Worst case is that you will even bend the chassis when you insert or remove the iPad into the case.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I’m not concerned about it at all. I’ll continue to use mine either ceaseless or in the folio case and I’m confident that I wont have any issues.

If by some chance I do have an issue I am also confident that Apple will take care of me like they always have when I end up with a defective apple device.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
My 2017 iPad Pro needed to be replaced after 8 months because the battery aged, expanded, and caused the device to basically destroy itself. Did apple invent batteries that don't expand? No? Did apple give the batteries more room to expend? Probly not? These iPads will not last more than 2 years and would be a total non-starter if not for AppleCare+. If you use these iPads and put wear and tear on the battery, they will destroy themselves within 2 years. These are nice devices but being thin and light is clearly a priority over lasting many years.

Reactions: George Dawes

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

If your waiting on a new design then you’ll most likely be waiting 2-3 years from now. Apple will mostly keep the current iPP shape for several years. If I were that conserved about the Deaign I’d buy Apple Care+ and a full coverage case.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
If your waiting on a new design then you’ll most likely be waiting 2-3 years from now. Apple will mostly keep the current iPP shape for several years. If I were that conserved about the Deaign I’d buy Apple Care+ and a full coverage case.

It’s ok I’m not waiting on new, probably going with a 10.5

Next release will be better for sure

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
This new 12.9" is just as easily bendable as the last gen 12.9s as the were larger by quite a bit and still thin. This is smaller but thinner so it almost equals out to the same propensity to bend. People are much more loud about it as those bend test videos came out in force and the fact the iPad is the thinnest mobile tablet... many mind tricks are being played on people by their own minds, but some are legitimate bend concerns.
This is very much like new flu epidemic situation where one person says they have a new flu cause they sneezed 1x too many then others start questioning it and examining their "symptoms" and boom... epidemic occurs, except many got themselves sick.

If we all went back in time, we'd find hundreds of threads and reports of bent 10.5" and 12.9" iPad Pros... happens every single new release, and especially with new designs.
If you are worried or have had bend issues, don't get an iPad Pro, snag a 9.7" 2018 or get a laptop, (also MacBooks and any other notebooks are bent often too,) but because of their designs not many realize it, and not many go looking to break or bend a laptop on youtube cause they know the vast majority of viewers are smart enough to say: "that's dumb, of course my laptop will bend if I do that."
But many look for negatives on the iPads because they are expensive and don't function like laptops so many want to discredit them or just bend them to get views... everyone likes to watch things get broken, it's why monster trucks, American Football, MMA fighting, and boxing exist.

Kallum.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm not going to use my new iPad any differently than past iPad's that I have owned just because some users reported that they new iPad's are prone to bending.

Reactions: Margaash

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Well, In my research, the new 12.9 flexes much greater and easier than the 2nd gen 12.9. I believe the new 12.9 will continue to suffer with bending reports and it may be that apple will fix this issue with their 2019 offering. This issue also occurred with the 6+ and we all know that apple fixed that issue in the 6s+.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009

Yeah, get the 10.5”. I returned my 11” and love my new 10.5”. You will be very happy. It’s much better built. And you will likely save a couple hundred $$.

Also no buggy USB-C bus. Has a headphone port, etc. I made the same choice and am much happier.

The 2018 pros are going to be known as “lemons” in a year. They were clearly rushed.

It’s too bad because the A12X and FaceID really are awesome improvements; but the rest of the hardware needs revision 2.

Last edited:

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, get the 10.5”. I returned my 11” and love my new 10.5”. You will be very happy. It’s much better built. And you will likely save a couple hundred $$.

Also no buggy USB-C bus. Has a headphone port, etc. I made the same choice and am much happier.

The 2018 pros are going to be known as “lemons” in a year. They were clearly rushed.

It’s too bad because the A12X and FaceID really are awesome improvements; but the rest of the hardware needs revision 2.

I’m going too, like you say, there were many reasons to return and I only posted some but rest assured as soon as that model hit my doorstep I was checking out many things about it...in the end, I absolutely am NOT going to pay Apple to be their tester to see if it can scrape by for $1400+.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Well, In my research, the new 12.9 flexes much greater and easier than the 2nd gen 12.9. I believe the new 12.9 will continue to suffer with bending reports and it may be that apple will fix this issue with their 2019 offering. This issue also occurred with the 6+ and we all know that apple fixed that issue in the 6s+.

See I found it bends the same, I’m kind of surprised so many are still baffled by this... it’s physics ladies and gentlemen. Let’s say perhaps Apple did an iPhone 6 type fix, you try to bend it and it will bend on either side of the piece of metal reinforcement.
I saw thousands of threads 1 1/2 and 3 years ago about people complaining about iPad pros being bent. Heck even the iPad Air at 7.5mm had bending complaints.

For everyone who hates this design or whatnot... even if Apple uses a steel frame, it will still bend, it may not crack the glass or bend as easily but it will bend and repairing that compared to Aluminum will be ridiculously difficult.

5.9mm x 11” x 8.5” Will bend as easily as last gen.
Last gen was 6.9mm x 12” x 8.7” and would bend just as easily, why?... the answer is physics! ;)

Search MacRumors forum for bent iPads and you’ll see an unlimited amount of threads complaining about all iPads since Air 1 getting bent very easily or coming bent. This is Apple’s design technique, I wish they’d use 7000 series aluminum or something like the magnesium Microsoft uses on the surface Book.

https://9to5mac.com/community/yep-the-ipad-air-2-bends-a-lot/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8293672

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.imore.com/ipad-air-2/328062-ipad-air-2-bent.html?amp

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/4fvouo/my_ipad_pro_bent/

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I work in a plant that has extensive CNC milling and lathe operations and took mine in for some second opinions on the form factor and structural inspection... long story short, was told to send it back for full refund while I can cause the $80 cheap Apple case wasn’t gong to help with keeping it safe with it being so flimsy. Also they think putting the magnets in it may be a problem with so little structural integrity.

That only shows these machine operators, don't know jack...
How can they see, from the outside, how good the internal structure is, and how strong the this particular grade of Aluminum is ?
and what do the magnets have anything to do with the overall structural integrity ??

Lol, see being classified as a pro ranked surfer makes it worth it, I was still amateur wanting to be pro, so I returned

I feel you are making this up as you go along, and you think your opinion is important,
and that is my personal opinion on that matter o_O

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
See I found it bends the same, I’m kind of surprised so many are still baffled by this... it’s physics ladies and gentlemen.
I don't think I am baffled :)
I own the second Gen 12.9". Yes, it flexes, but in my opinion not as easily as the third Gen. A slight flex to a friends third gen and there was a noticeable slight bend. I don't normally use a case with my iPad, and after a year, I have no bends at all. Then again, I don't sit on my iPad, or throw it in a back pack, or any other of the plethora of ways that could cause my Pro to bend.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Shouldn’t need big case to protect from bending from normal use. Has Apple taking any stance on this yet? They have exchanged iPads under AppleCare from bending in the past.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Really? That didn’t happen to my 2017 iPad Pro, and I’ve had it for longer than a year.

Maybe you don't use it as much. My replacement is already starting to flex near the battery. I'm going to be on iPad #3 or #4 by the time AppleCare expires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.