The TV Apple should build.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MacUser09, Nov 14, 2009.

1. MacUser09 macrumors regular

Firstly, can anyone help?

I have connected my new AppleTV up, and at this moment it is downloading a show from the iTunes store, so I know that it is working.

The problem is, when I open iTunes, it (the ATV) does not show up in the sidebar. Even if I go into Preferences and click on ATV->Look For Apple TV's, none is showing in the box. This means I cannot sync my iTunes Library across.
    In settings, I can see my IP address,router address, DNS address, Wireless ID, and good signal strength.

Any suggestions?

Secondly, I was looking at this Toshiba Cell TV on the net. I am looking at building a new home theatre system in the new year.
    It made me think, this is something Apple should take, and build upon if they ever decide on another :apple:TV "hobby".

2. roidy macrumors 6502a

Did the ATV give you a 5 digit connection code to enter into iTunes?

If not then open iTunes on you computer, then on your ATV goto settings->computers and press the connect to itunes option. It should display a 5 digit code and in iTunes on your computer the Apple TV should appear in the side bar and it should say Click to set up. Click it and then enter the 5 digit code then just follow each screen in turn.

3. MacUser09 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. What I did in the end because I had hardly loaded anything, was do a factory restore. This cured that problem. I now have several others that I am trying to figure out. :(

4. roidy macrumors 6502a

In your original post you said you couldn't connect the ATV to itunes but that you were downloading a show so you knew it worked.

The problem is if you've just purchased and downloaded a show on to your ATV and then factory restored it, you've just lost that show with no way to get it back because it never synced to your itunes library because your ATV wasn't connected to your computer. If that makes sense.....

5. MacUser09 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Yes, it does make sense looking back at it. I have emailed iTunes support to see if they can replace the two shows that I downloaded, as I bought a season ticket for that series.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I've never had a problem with iTunes letting me re-download lost files. In fact, sometimes they're too nice.. I once downloaded a full season of a TV show. Somehow, the first episode was just one of the episodes later on in the season, but it was tagged correctly... i.e. it said season premier, was listed as the first episode in the season, but when I played it, it was a duplicate of the 10th episode, I think.

I emailed iTunes and instead of re-sending me the download for the first episode, or even letting me redownload the season again, they just re-credited the $49.99.

So I bought the episode I was missing and used the rest for other stuff :cool:

That random story aside, make sure your ATV is connected to the same network as your PC. If they are on different networks or if your router is configured to not let devices see each other, you may have problems getting iTunes to see your ATV.