The two computer (iMac plus Windows PC) solution

Discussion in 'iMac' started by talmy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Just a comment here that I'm thinking of replying to many of the "should I buy" threads.

Many people seem to have usage that is "some browsing, email, perhaps an office suite" and "oh yes, gaming". So the recommendation tends to be to option it up with high-end graphics and processor to get decent gaming performance.

But it seems to me that it makes more sense to recommend the base iMac, which will be just fine for everything but gaming, and take the money saved and put it toward a PC, perhaps home-built, that will be able to have graphic card upgrades and to some extent processor upgrades in the future without having to throw out the whole machine. As a additional benefit, the game choices are wider and come out first for Windows in many/most cases.

Now I'm not a gamer, but if I were, that's certainly what I'd do.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you make a fair point talmy and I agree Windows is a far better platform for computer gaming, and the finance side of that setup makes sense too. For a lot of users who are gaming focused, I think this would be a good option.

For me personally, I just did not want to screw around maintaining a second machine, so went with a Mac for computer use and a console (XBox) for gaming.

3. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

You never get the same build quality with a PC.
    I bought the best iMac there is today and its the best Windows computer i have ever had. Ironicly :-D

Games work great under Windows and OsX

4. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

I must admit that my MBP I haul around runs Windows apps under Parallels up to 5x faster than the similar vintage Xeon-equipped HP workstation I've got at work. However that MBP is also several times more expensive than the HP workstation! But I know that if I never had to run anything heavy on either of my personal Macs I would have saved lots of cash buy buying the base models.

I'd think that a gaming-only system will have money invested in fancy peripherals and high end and forever getting dated graphics cards and motherboards. The rest of the system can be a complete POS.

5. Jezak macrumors member

I considered the same and follow the logic. In my case, at the end of the day went with a 27in iMac so I could get down to one machine and streamline things. No regrets seven months in. If I want to game dual booting works fine if it doesn't play well in Parallels.

It all came down to not wanting to deal with another machine and yes, I know, that it's not hard to do so.

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Not a gamer, but if I was, I'd do what Weaselboy did.

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I'd love to build a dedicated PC again just for gaming. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a $2000 iMac and a $600-$800 custom built PC at this point.

The way I see things is that I do more editing (graphics and video) than that of gaming currently. That doesn't mean I don't game quite a bit or it isn't important, but the editing definitely comes first.

With that said, I rather take my $2200 and buy a superb machine (iMac) for editing and get a decent to good (780m) gaming system combined in a single desktop solution.

8. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, certainly. But my point was about people who have only light needs (browsing, mail, and perhaps office apps) and do gaming. They don't need a $2000 iMac but could buy the base 21.5" iMac and the custom built PC, come in about the same price, but have a gaming system they can easily upgrade.

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

This will forever be true, but just like weasel said, some people can barely maintain one computer, let alone two.

Maybe these people should just get a PS4 or xBox one