The Ultimate Bookshelf Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dreamlife789, May 18, 2013.

1. dreamlife789 macrumors member

If you had to pick one designer bookshelf, or minimalist awesome bookshelf, what would it be? Please post a picture or link? I am looking for a bookshelf for all my design, animal, marketing, architecture, and finance books.

2. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Attached Files:

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

This is as minimalist as it gets!

Attached Files:

4. entropi macrumors 6502

open shelves just gathers a lot of dust, I prefer to keep my stuff behind doors instead:

[​IMG]

Asplund - Vass

(the "Rand"-collection is even more my style!)

----------

:D exactly!

Except for vinylrecords, all my media & books nowadays are digitized. (Scansnap FTW!) (well, the vinyls are digitized too, but they still ocupy some physical space as I have kept them around for now...)

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Vinyl. That takes me back. My music collection started as Vinyl, then went to tapes. Then I moved onto CD's but most of these got stolen in the 90's. Now I'm digital all the way. The tapes and vinyl became landfill many years ago I'm afraid.

6. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I agree cupboards are easier dust wise but I love the look of books on display too much to shut them away.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

There's a style called "lawyer's bookcase" or "barrister's bookcase" that has glass doors. Usually the doors slide up, rather than swing out.

8. entropi macrumors 6502

yep, lots of books, mags and vinyls adds a lot of "life" to a room and that might be wanted by most people...?

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

That is a good compromise if dust really bothers you.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm with you on that; I love bookshelves, vinyl racks (yes, I remember vinyl, too, and the thrill of saving up for an album you really wanted), and nice, classy, wooden CD racks, and lived in but comfortable rooms.......bookshelves add character to a room, and tell stories about the occupant, too.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I like the minimalist look of a floating bookshelf.

[​IMG]

Amazon sells them for $20.:eek:

I got a ghetto set up using metal corner braces from the home center. Remember to attach only to the studs if you don't want your "shelf" come crashing down and tearing a hole in your wall.
    [​IMG]

12. twietee, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

^Not very practical once you've got more than a couple of books, Mousse. :D

Tricky business with books imho, I'm not afraid of dust, rather concerned about direct sunlight. So one definitely needs a rather closed space or a room orientated to the north for proper display. Not sure if totally convinced for a demanding (lots of loads) book shelf, but the look of some of the old String systems is lovely - preferable in black with teak or walnut and a set back at ~1/3 of the height. They started to reproduce them, but it's a bit different to the originals.
    Personally, I tend right now to use neatly done white metal triangles, fixated at the wall, with rather thick wooden slabs painted with my white wall paint over the full length of the room and from floor to ceiling. Can be mostly done by myself, but triangles have to be made by a carpenter (plus cutting the boards). (The usual metal angles, like yours Mousse, would work equally well, but don't strike me very elegant ;))

edit: that's a proper String system here:
    [​IMG]

But I've seen also beautiful/useful bookshelfs made out of a plethora of Billys by Ikea. From wall to wall (approx. 6 meters length and 3.5m height - by putting them on top of each other in different variations).