The Ultimate College Notebook Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sinan, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sinan macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 13inch, its a beautifully crafted computer and because of that it has no place putting up with the treacherous environment that is my bag. I need a machine that is up to running Inkscape and Gimp and being a student, for as little cash a possible? Any ideas?

Also if anyone has an idea on how to protect the MacBook Pro that would also be good.

The iBook G3 looks like a good idea but will it be up to Inkscape?
    Open to any ideas :-D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Money is better spend on the first generation of MacBooks as the G3 will definitely hold you down and may piss you off compared to the current laptops.

3. Sinan thread starter macrumors newbie

Would a first generation macbook be upto it? The major thing here is that it needs to be rugged and durable, which is why the macbookpro dosent follow me

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The white MacBook (2006 - 2009) is the continuation of the iBook, it is rugged enough for every day use. Mine just fell onto the floor (dragged by the ethernet cable) and it is still working like a charm.

And yes, a MacBook would be up to the task.

5. Sinan thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Wouldn't you be better off just purchasing a good sleeve or case for your computer?

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If you wanted to save yourself a good chunk of cash, you could just get something like a plastic Speck SeeThru or whatever their canvas sleeve is called; it stays attached to the system and absorbs all those bumps and bruises.

Also, you would go crazy if you tried to use an iBook G3 with anything approaching modern software ;)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I must respectfully disagree about the original MacBook being rugged. I have a Rev.A MacBook and the edges of the case have all but broken off, and I handle my computers very carefully, so I'm not happy about that! The white iBook G3s/G4s were so much more solid IMO.

A CURRENT MacBook, however, might be okay since they redesigned the case. I haven't seen it first-hand though.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So the 2006 MacBook is different from the 2008 (mid year) version?
    How?

And I agree, those G4 iBooks were the toughest I've ever seen, they could take a beating and even water in the display.

10. MikeSantor macrumors regular

the speck plastic case is great at protecting things but when dust gets in between the case and the laptop it ends up scratching and pitting it. it happened on my MB and every blackberry I have ever had. BUT it does protect the MB pretty well aside form the surface scratches. That being said, I would get a MB that you really dont care about cosmetics with it and put a speck on it.

Just my .02

11. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Just get a good case. Multiple computers only leads to headache in college.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I've recommended this before, the Invisible Shield case is a film that goes over the whole laptop. You wouldn't get any dust in between the film and the computer and it would protect it from scratches and whatnot.

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

get a padded laptop backpack and a good vertical sleeve.
    I carry my macbook pro with me everyday to college and use it more there than at home.

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Most definitely. The corners are more rounded, and it's supposedly a "unibody" design now (so no more weak edges that get chipped off when the lid closes, or you decide to actually put your palms on the palm rest).

This page shows the new design:
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/design.html

Check this page for all the defects of the old MacBook design:
    http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook

15. gorn macrumors member

I encourage you to rethink this. Part of the beautifully crafted nature of the computer is the strong aluminum unibody. Yes it might get a bit scratched in your bag, but it's not going to stop working. In a few years your computer is going to be out of date anyway. Might as well use it to it's fullest in the mean time. Just use a simple sleeve to protect it from scratches while in your bag.

But obviously you know your situation better than me, and you might have other reasons for needing multiple computers anyway (I do).

16. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Then get Apple to replace it. Isn't it a known defect?

17. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Just get a good sleeve and you are good to go. As long as you don't drop you backpack onto like a concrete floor from like 3 feet then you should be fine. Better yet if you have a padded backpack like most notebook backpacks nowadays. Padded + sleeve makes it even harder to damage it.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It's out of warranty. I've heard mixed results about people successfully getting the cases replaced out of warranty, but I'll contact AppleCare and see what they say.

19. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I would just use the Macbook Pro 13" you already have. If you're really worried about damaging it you can go hardcore on protection:

- InvisibleShield / BodyGuardz / BestSkinsEver full-body protective skin (goes on the top, bottom, sides, palmrests, and touchpad. Protects against scratches) - $30-$60
    - Moshi Clearguard keyboard cover (silicon-y material, cover goes over the keyboard. Protects again greasy hands and minor spills of drinks etc. Best keyboard protector IMHO and I've used a few other brands like marware, zCover, kbcovers.com) - $23 shipped on Newegg.com
    - Speck SeeThru Satin / Incase Hardshell cases (protects against minor bumps that would otherwise dent your computer etc.) -$40 - $60
    - Padded laptop backpack bag.

You can even throw it in a padded sleeve first before you put it in the padded backpack lol. I had all this before on my Macbook Pro 13" lol. It made an otherwise 4.5lb laptop to like 5.5lbs or so, but I felt it was very protected and now it still looked as good as new after a few months of use before I traded it :). I'm planning on getting the Moshi Clearguard and BestSkinsEver for my new Macbook White Unibody.

20. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

It's generally successful, the genius I took my MacBook to didn't even check if I still had AppleCare or not, he was surprised when he saw that I had the extended AppleCare while he was checking it in.

21. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Just get a Macbook of some sort,they can take a beating and keep working forever.:)

22. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I see tons of people with macbook pro's in class. They can handle your "treacherous" bag. Just get a protective sleeve.

23. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Right. "Unibody" means that the outside case is also the frame of the laptop, which wasn't the case before. Older MBPs had and internal frame that everything connected to which then connected to the outside case. In the UB MBPs, the outside case internally has the mounts for the interior components. They actually machine each case from a single block of aluminum (barring the bottom, which comes off, of course).

24. Sinan thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay a good sleeve/hard case, your right, might as well get my moneys worth :D

25. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

skip the hard case, show off the macbook. a good vertical sleeve never has to leave your backpack. Unzip backpack, undo velcro or unzip the sleeve, pull out macbook. reverse order then head to next class. a good laptop backpack + sleeve should protect it from any dents and/or scratches.