The ultimate in ear monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by harinezumi, May 8, 2007.

1. harinezumi macrumors member

i am considering of buying the ultimate ears custom made earphone UE10pro in summer, and i was wondering if anyone knows if they are any good with iPods.
    Since i wanted to know how ultimate ears sound like i bought a pair of superfi 3. I used it with my 2G iPod shuffle and there is this constant hissing noise.maybe due to the fact that the earphones impedance is only 13ohms.
    but hardly have any noise when connected to my MBP.
    Will i have the same problem when using UE10pro????

Can anyone tell me how UE10pros or even superfi5pro will perform with iPods and other sound producing devises. and also is it better to get a portable amp and if so which one?

PS:Obviously i wont be spending nearly 1000 dollars on a earphone just to listen to music on my iPod i will be using them with my MBP when making music.

Many thanks in advance

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Impossible to answer -- first - where is the hissing coming from?
    Is it in the source material (is it constant across all songs? Is it present in the silences?)
    Is it always there on the iPod but lesser earphones roll off the highs?

3. harinezumi thread starter macrumors member

there is a constant hiss when the ipod shuffle is turned on. when music is playing and also when nothing is playing.

4. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

The hissing (from my understanding of it) is pretty much a design flaw with the 2nd gen shuffle.

As far the UE-10 pro...there aren't any in ear monitors I can think of that are particularly better, just a different sonic signature. You'll probably be very, very happy with them. Also, you may want to do some reading at http://www.head-fi.org/ they're a fantastic resource for earphones, amps and everything in between :)

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was going to suggest head-fi as well and I agree that the UE-10 pro's are probably the cream of the crop since they only fit you.

6. donor macrumors newbie

harinezumi,
    the hiss you are hearing is coming from your ipod. All ipods have that hiss, and because you are using professional earphones, the hiss is made even more apparent.
    The UE-10 Pro's are absolutely the best IEM's available on the market, however using them with an ipod would be a complete waste, as the earphones potential would not be realized.

See this review http://www.headphonesrock.com/2007/04/11/ultimate-ears-ue-10-pro/

It sounds like you are a music producer? IEM's are not ideal for producing music, as they do not have an accurate soundstage. I would suggest a closed headphone. In my opinion you can get a closed headphone for half the price of the UE-10 Pro, which would work better for you considering you are a producer as well.

The Ultrasone PROline 650
    http://www.headphonesrock.com/2007/04/04/ultrasone-proline-750/

or the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's
    http://www.headphonesrock.com/2007/05/03/beyerdynamic-dt880/

Hope this information helps you out on your headphone search.

7. harinezumi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for helping me out here.
    Ill probably get a pair of UE10pros and a decent amp and hope that a iPod with better sound quality will be produced.

As for my music production use Ill try and get a closed headphone as suggested by donor, but Ill see how the UE10pros work.

One last thing, if you were to get a pair of UE10pros what colour would you get??

Thanks again:)