The Ultimate Nikon vs Canon Debate

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Amasashi, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Amasashi macrumors member

I know what you're thinking, not another Nikon vs Canon flame war! But in all seriousness, this is the best and most comprehensive analysis of the two brands that I've ever come across, and I just wanted to share.

The Canon vs. Nikon Conundrum
    http://woodyang.com/blog/2009/07/the-canon-vs-nikon-conundrum-part-1/
    http://woodyang.com/blog/2009/07/the-canon-vs-nikon-conundrum-part-2/
    http://woodyang.com/blog/2009/07/the-canon-vs-nikon-conundrum-part-3/
    http://woodyang.com/blog/2009/07/the-canon-vs-nikon-conundrum-part-4/

It's quite lengthy at times, so if you're lazy, just skip right to part 4 for the good stuff.

And by the way, Nikon vs Canon is NOTHING like Mac vs PC. It may stir emotions that are just as intense, but whoever made the analogy failed to realize that with Nikon vs Canon, there is no clear winner, whereas with Mac vs PC... well, this is a Mac forum, so... you know :)

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's not a static argument. What's true at this point in time may not be true six or twelve months from now. And even if you only look at this specific point in time - there's always some degree of personal bias in the analysis, no matter what the person providing that analysis may claim.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You summed it up perfectly, Westside guy. Indeed, that analysis is already dated. For example, he states that "not a SINGLE Canon camera" (his emphasis) has a built-in flash commander, but that state of affairs ended in September of 2009 with the introduction of the 7D.

And the point about personal bias cannot be overstated. For example, the whole high ISO versus high resolution debate looms large in comparing Nikon and Canon, but which approach is "best" is completely dependent upon individual needs.

4. jackerin, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

jackerin macrumors 6502a

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I like both. I was messing around with my buddy's nikon today and it was pretty sweet. However i'm a video guy and I LOVE my Canon XHA1 HDV Camera :)

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

They both suck...

Olympus, Panasonic, Leica and Sony FTW!

;)

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

8. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Let's rename this thread: "Chocolate vs. Vanilla - the ultimate debate."

9. Chasesmith macrumors newbie

10. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

The ultimate C vs N debate? If only...

Photographers are too busy taking pictures to get stressed about this hoary old chestnut. 'Camera collectors', on the other hand...

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to chime in and say since I know my way around photography you can give me any camera, film or digital and I'll get great shots with it. (Heck give me a pinhole camera or some collodion glass plates! :p) Nikon vs Canon vs anything else arguments are for the n00bs.

12. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I think you are spot on here. I have a Leica M9 and I still suck! :D

13. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Nah, that's easy-- D3x/D3s combination! :D

Paul

14. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I like the control layout better on the Nikon but the pictures are just too blurry. Canon FTW.

15. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you're not getting sharp images with either brand, it's not the camera.

Paul

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Are you talking about the post processing Nikon does? Because you can turn that off (I think, I'm not sure since I don't own a Nikon) or just shoot RAW.

If you are sure the blur is not from technique (like incorrect shutter speed, not using a tripod, etc) it could be a few different issues. You can probably send the camera (and your lenses) in for calibration. Usually its a lens that needs calibrated but sometimes the camera is the issue too.

17. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Such a dumb post coming from a supposed smart race of people.

Clue. Canon was in Finland long before Nikon ever made a presence. If you as the average FInn why they use Canon, they don't have a clue. They can only tell you that this is what my father or grandfather used. I say this because I ask FInns this constantly and they have no clue.

----------

Perfect. Canon for video, Nikon for high speed, low light shooting.

----------

There is very little that is "ultimate" regarding this debate. Just another page hit thread.

----------

Summed up perfectly...

----------

X gets the square. Spot on dude.

18. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I guess the internet is not for making jokes. Too bad the post where I explained that it was just a joke seems to have disappeared too! I don't know what race has to do with anything, though.

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Considering that I live in Finland, and work with FInns daily, I found the joke typically un-Finnish. Anyway.... Whatever....

20. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Well Paul all the Nikons I've ever used are blurry. What more proof do you need?

21. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I don't mean to be rude, but this suggests you are doing something wrong, either in your technique or camera settings. What is this blurriness you describe? Mushy JPEGs? Motion blur?
    The hundreds of thousands of other Nikon shooters out there don't seem to be having this issue.

22. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I've been shooting Nikon-based SLR and DSLR bodies[1] since about 1991 using a variety of lenses manufactured between about 1975 and 2011[2]. I've got literally thousands of sharp images, so if you've used more than one camera/lens combination, it's highly unlikely to be the camera, since sample variation is generally very low with Nikon equipment.

I know a lot of professional photographers, a fair number of whom shoot Nikon (probably about 40%) all of whom are capable of getting sharp images with their cameras. I have a fair number of friends who are amateur photographers shooting Nikons who are capable of getting sharp images with their cameras. I don't know anyone who owns a Nikon DSLR who cannot get sharp images most of the time.

I just signed a contract yesterday for Wiley[3] to use an image I shot a couple of years ago for a textbook- using a D2x and older 35-70mm, so it meets their sharpness criteria. The D2x doesn't have focus adjustment like the D3x does. How can I have a publishable image if Nikon gear can't produce sharp images? Why would we be negotiating for a reshoot of the majority of the internal images in the next edition of the book if I chose a camera system that couldn't produce sharp images?

I'm probably more critical of image quality than at least 95% of the people here- so if I can get consistently sharp images shooting with a large variety of Nikon and Nikon-based bodies for 20 years, the question really has to be "What are you doing wrong?"

Paul
    [1] I've owned the 8008s, Fuji S2Pro (N80 body,) D200, D2x and D3x and shot a fair bit with friends' D40, D70, D90 and D7000s.
    [2] Including the 18-70, 20-35mm AF-D, 24mm AF-D, 35-70 AF-D, 50mm f/1.8 AF-S, 60mm AF-D, 80-200 push-pull, 80-400VR, 200mm AIS, 300/4 EDIF, and 400mm AF-S II.
    [3] First time someone's accepted a digital signature from me on a contract. My scanner's eating paper though, so it's a good thing I didn't have to try to mouse a signature in there!

23. avro707 macrumors 6502a

I skimmed through that entire lengthy article - and wondered why I couldn't have been said far more quickly in a setence or two:

"Buy the camera that suits your needs best and be happy with it"

I've used both brands. They both do the job to greater or lesser degrees depending on the model of camera and the situation, and your preferences in the control layout of each brand.

I'll get out my old D80 which still goes strong, stick on the cheap 18-135mm ED kit lens and rattle off a heap of perfectly sharp images.

No need for exotic lenses. Old camera, kit lens and good results. I don't mean to sound disbelieving, but something seems wrong if you can't get sharp images - and I guess it's the technique, not the cameras.

24. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You know there is a diopter that has to be adjusted right? Seems like you are the problem and not the cameras.