The Ultimate Steal is back (Office 2007 Ultimate for $60)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dws90, Aug 23, 2008.

1. dws90 macrumors regular

This may be of interest to some of you. Microsoft's Ultimate Steal offer is back, offering MS Office 2007 (Windows) for $60. That's definitely a good deal, since the thing normally costs $680, whether it deserves to or not. The Mac version's not available for a discount, but you can always run the Windows version using Parallels/VMware/Virtualbox.

It's available to "college students". In reality, all you need is a .edu email address. The terms say that you also need to be able to prove that you're taking at least .5 credits if asked, but it'll be hard for Microsoft to check everybody. It appears to be US and Canada only.

Yes, [Open|Neo]Office is still cheaper, but if you want an actual copy of MS Office, Office 2007 for Windows is much higher rated than 2008 for the Mac.

The URL:
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

2. acxz macrumors regular

It's a shame they don't just sell the Ultimate version at that price to everyone all the time. They'd sell way more copies.

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Too bad Microsoft's definition of Ultimate Steal is not the same as mine. I'd rather just wait until the second week of classes and pick up a free copy from my college's "marketplace"

4. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

agreed. Even at $100US that would be a more-than-fair price for an office suite.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

This year they're selling Vista Ultimate upgrade for $65. I'd be interested to know from someone who's bought it what type of file it is you downloaded. Perhaps an .iso or .exe?

6. elearn macrumors newbie

ultimate steal deal will leave you with a mojave feeling

Taking advantage of the Ultimate Steal to get a good price on the Vista Ultimate upgrade turned out not to be such a good deal after all. Even though the terms of the deal specifically state it will activate on a Mac it doesn't. I've been going round and round with the activation people and tech support trying to get the thing activated.

I've given up. In the morning I'm calling Digital River and demanding a refund.

At least now I know why Microsoft called it the Mojave experience: you feel like you're alone in the wilderness when you finally admit defeat.

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Thanks for being the guinea pig. I guess I won't shell out $60.

8. bjorn989 macrumors member

We had this deal early last year, early this year and right now in Australia. I have it installed right at the moment on my PC. I am getting my first Mac this week so I am going to try it out somehow.

The file in the Australian version was a trial version of the full software. Then you could pay $25 to have it for a year with the option to get the rest later for $50, or buy the whole thing for $75.

Everything works fine and the office applications are first class. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a mac via parallels...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

10. cuestakid macrumors 68000

well if you have not installed them then I highly recommend you either sell them or return them and buy this-it is such a good deal-I did the first incarnation of this and I got my brother to do it as well. I even told one of the instructors at my college about it to tell her students who take various classes on the apps included