The ultimate "Time Saver" app...Can't find it!

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
For those, like me, who study and are constantly tempted by their mac and the internet to waste time and not study...wouldn't it be awesome to have a screensaver program that had a timer function built in...so you could run the screensaver (hence, no visual temptation) and then if you were tempted to "waste time", it would display the time remaining (that you pre-set) until you can take a "waste time" study break. A password could be entered to break back in before the timer is done, if needed. (Obviously, I'd have to have a friend set the password)

I can't find anything like this! Does anyone know of a program that will do this? My grades would SKY ROCKET!

Thanks

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
apple2991 said:
Something like what you're looking for can be found here.

I clicked the "Download or Buy Now" link but the program is just a dictionary...it doesn't do that screensaver thingy...what gives :confused:

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
oldschool said:
I clicked the "Download or Buy Now" link but the program is just a dictionary...it doesn't do that screensaver thingy...what gives :confused:
HHAHAHA, I'm hoping that was s joke :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't know of such an application, sjjordan. You could use the Energy Saver preference pane, setting the Mac to start at a certain time, and then power it down. When it reaches that break time, it'll start up and be ready to tempt you. Or you could simply set a kitchen timer and set it in front of the Mac. No matter which method you choose, it's still up to you whether to follow your plan or cheat.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
~Shard~ said:
Maybe you should check this one out as well if you're confused... :cool:
Good one!

Anyhow, I thought that the original link was a pretty good answer.

For those of you in school, who never seem to have enough time, might want to try what a friend showed me some years ago.

He created a sheet that had 10 minute blocks covering the time you are awake. So if you got up at 0600 and went to bed at 2230, it would be like this:

0600-0610
0610-0620
0620-0630
~
2200-2210
2210-2220
2220-2230

Then using one sheet per day for a week, you quickly put in what you were doing during each 10 minute period. To help with this process, you determine the type of activities that you are tracking such as:

- Attending Class (C)
- Studying (S)
- Homework (HW)
- Eating (E) (Breakfast --> EB, Lunch --> EL, Dinner --> ED)
- Sleeping/Napping (Z)
- Talking with Roommate/Friends (T)
- Browsing the Internet (I)
- E-mail (E)
- Chat (C)

Then after one week, you analyse your schedule by adding the times for each type of major activity that you wanted to track.

Now, as a function of time, you can see just how much time you spend on what activity. Then adjust your schedule from there based on your priorities.

Sushi

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
sushi said:
you determine the type of activities that you are tracking such as:

- Attending Class (C)
- Chat (C)

Then after one week, you analyse your schedule by adding the times for each type of major activity that you wanted to track.
:rolleyes: :p ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
redeye_be said:
Oops!

Well, you get the idea.

Back then we didn't have Chat. So C for Class worked! :eek:

Guess you would need another abreviation.

Anyhow, this system does work to identify how you spend your time.

Sushi

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
sushi said:
Oops!

Well, you get the idea.

Back then we didn't have Chat. So C for Class worked! :eek:

Guess you would need another abreviation.

Anyhow, this system does work to identify how you spend your time.

Sushi
So attending class and chatting were essentially the same activity for you Sushi? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.