The umd-less, sliding PSP2/4000.... o rly?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Mar 2, 2009.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Knowing Sony, they'll sell an adapter for $60 that will let you play your old UMD games on the new PSP.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

With MotorStorm and LBP coming on UMD, I'll keep my PSP 1000

I want a PSP2, not a PSP 4000.....two joysticks, better graphics, built in memory, a whole new system! Not a small upgrade to what could have been a great system(but has been lacking in great games recently...although I've also not been buying so good games that were released, Loco Roco 2..so I'm in part to blame)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah I haven't bought anything for my PSP is a hell of a long time either....
    But when there's nothing but a general abundance of diatribe in comparison to quality released in any given space of time, it just puts you in a frame of mind which says 'I can't be bothered'.... (to play, or buy)

Much like the wii....

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Err, yea. With all these new killer titles on the horizon and they want to release a UMD-less version? I really doubt this.
    Also seems daft that they would rather protect the keys than the screen.

Really hoping the PSP2 does have a UMD drive. I'm an advocate of digital downloads but we're nowhere near at the right time to ditch physical media completely from a serious games console (opposed to the 'casual' iPod Touch and always-connected iPhone). It's a great format for games, just needs faster speeds.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

With a lot of PSP games available to buy on PSN directly - it's possible that Sony will just make the format download only. Direct Download of all your games from the PSP's new interface = more than likely.

I suspect you solve the UMD current PSP owners by.
    Simply enable users with UMD's to register their games with Sony (serial number / barcode - and in return they receive an unlock code to download the game from PSN.

I suspect that this is the future, and I also suspect that it will be a financial model and delivery system that will follow ALL NEW consoles from 2010 onwards.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That could work. I just wouldn't be happy with Sony making some hella awesome machine and then not letting us play the same gen games on it.
    Given the history of the PSP with all the really brilliant games coming out later in the systems life, I wouldn't buy a PSP2 if they didn't let us play our PSP1 games on it, until it had a large and decent library.

Oh. And Trophy support please! It's inevitable. But hurry it along!

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Digital downloading through PSN idea sounds good as long as they have a good size HDD in the PSP2.

I don't know if I'm in for another handheld system but if Sony do decide to let us play our PSN games on the handheld then I'm all in.

Trophy, friendslist communication and PSP2 to PS3 connectivity is a must.

Bless

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not a chance of a HDD - I reckon it will be MSHC only as Sony make a nice bit of kerching on those.

Maybe give away a 4 - 8GB card with the machine and then milk us dry forever after with expensive 16 & 32GB cards :D

10. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I was thinking... to buy games in-store on a UMD-less PSP, couldn't they set up some sort of kiosk where you plug your PSP/Memory stick into it, touch screen pick your games on a PSN store like interface, use your credit/debit card and it just transfers the games over? Each week or whatever the store can update itself with new games etc.? That way they have previews, write-ups on the game , maybe link it with a metacritic score or whatever.

11. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I'm really curious with what the next generation of handhelds will be like. You keep hearing rumors about big touch screens, media playback, downloading entire games onto built-in flash memory... I'm wondering how similar the new handhelds will be to the iPhone. :D

As for PSP, it is time to really start fixing some of Sony's mistakes with the platform. UMDs did not end up being what Sony wanted them to be, but to change the main format that the PSP understands, we would need a PSP 2, not just another redesign.

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

'tis a good idea. I'd much rather buy games for a handheld app store than console. A handheld version of Steam almost!

This could be good and potentially sway me from custom firmwares (currently hooked on Doom PSP, ironically with the wad files I bought from Steam :)).

14. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I just bought a 2000 with strinctly downloading, rather than buying umd's in mind. Can't wait to get more classic PSX titles.

15. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

The problem with the whole PSN thing is the lack of sales deals and competitive pricing - unless the retail presence consisted of 'cards' like XBLA points or whatever. As it is the PSN charges a massive amount for ancient games ... $15 for Tokobot? Call back when it is $5.

I think they definitely have to chart out a BC path for all of these games or the system is dead in the water. I mean, they are last place in consoles, 2nd place in handhelds - and it took a long time for them to surpass monthly GBA sales ... they might be doing OK, but now is not the time for more typical 'Sony Arrogance'.

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I hope they give the psp2 ps2 compatibility. At this point in time they can probably cram the guts of a ps2 inside a psp case. My theory is that they should make a dual-core emotion engine chip at 600mhz. When you switch into the ps2 mode they can scale one cpu down to 300 for the EE and use the other for emulating whatever else they need to. For psp native games the devs would be able to use the ps2 devkit assuming it is scalable to work with a 600mhz dual-core chip. Development would be easy, so games would come out quickly, plus sony could sell ps2 games via the store like they do with psx games now.