The unloved iphone 3G - why not numeric battery meter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonynz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tonynz macrumors member

Very old news but it has always interested me. But why doesn't the 3G iphone have numeric battery?

Ok, I understand why there isn't multi-tasking..... and I understand why there isn't wallpaper on the home screen but why didn't Apple allow iPhone 3G to display a numeric battery.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Not really sure. You can jailbreak to have it displayed. I did this on my first iPhone. It is kind of depressing how fast the battery appears to drop on the original model when actually looking at the percent though.....

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I speculated with a few buddies of mine in the past about that being the very reason why they didn't display it.

4. tonynz thread starter macrumors member

So the conclusion is....

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

I really think the conclusion is that Apple doesn't include it in order to avoid a flood of complaints. Look at all the posts where people say "I browsed for 5 minutes and my battery went down 2%!!! What's wrong?"
    Adding the battery meter could bring a ton of those complaints. The 3GS has an improved battery, and the previous models the battery drops fast. Sending an MMS on a 2G iPhone (with jailbreak hack) can easily drop the battery meter a couple percent. I've played a quick game and it dropped the battery over 40%. It doesn't appear to be dropping nearly as much if you don't look at the numeric battery meter. Leaving off the percentage prevents people from going into a panic over each percentage drop.