The Unofficial "I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fs454, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fs454 macrumors 65816

I think it's time to consolidate our complaints and begin waiting for those of us unimpressed. I want something that will actually "wow" me when I empty my $2500 onto Apple's floor.

Sandy Bridge seems to be that, I guess.

I posted this further down, but figured it'd make a good opener. Why I'm not buying the Arrandale MBP:

I just want Apple to be cutting edge again and not months behind with average tech and zero advancements.

IPS display is missing.

Nvidia graphics rub me the wrong way, they're using the same core as my 8600M that is defective and has failed on me once already...from 2007. ATI is truly showing advancement with commitment to actually developing new technology.

No unibody design freshening: at my college, I can see about 300 15 inch unibody MBPs every day. I like having unique and different things. I also wish they did some sort of a modern industrial design rather than something that looks kid friendly.

Lack of USB 3 or any other new interface tech whatsoever. Not entirely Apple's fault, but there just haven't been any good advancements towards this either, and I feel odd dropping almost three grand on a computer that will be shadowed by actually new tech next year(which isn't always true, my late 07 MBP is pretty much the same tech-wise as the late 09 MBPs. Nothing big has changed.)

It still has an optical drive, and nothing advanced, at that. I believe Apple should be the one to push the Optical drive out and into an external casing like the Macbook Air has. It just takes up way too much space for the average amount of use it gets. Whether Apple includes an external superdrive with the MBP or not, it needs to get the hell out. Imagine what could be directly applied to that space? there's enough space there to extend the battery life to 14 hours, add a second hard drive or SSD(optibay can do this), more cooling for higher TDP chips, or an overall thinner and lighter computer.

Apple completely threw out innovation for macs and seems to be entirely focusing on the consumer mobile space, leaving their notebooks and stuff in the dust. Not that I hate the iPad, as this is being typed on one and I'm loving it, but they really are neglecting their computers. The news with 10.7 development slowing because of iphone OS is scary. We have been on a Leopard variant for a long ass time. Everything is advancing so slowly.

I'm hoping my Summer 07 MBP holds for another year.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sandy Bridge will still mainly be dual core...

Ivy Bridge will bring more mobile quads due 22nm process so less heat per core. SB is still about a year away and what we currently know isn't that much.

It's good that you're early though! :p

3. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

If released early to mid (not too mid) 2011 then that fits my timeframe quite nicely. Maybe Apple will finally get the 13" right.

4. popnfresh85 macrumors newbie

oh dear god we're gonna get to i9 thread at this rate. haha.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

just saying this may get wastelanded since the 13 inch hasn't been upgraded yet :)

Hope not.

6. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hope not, it makes a perfect home for us as the arrandale threads die.

I'm so pissed I almost want to buy a PC. If only they were useful to me for what I do:D, haha.

7. OceanView macrumors 65816

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You just wanted to be the thread starter of another one of these threads didn't you lol! I was sick of the arrandale one! WHY!!!!

But yeah, Sandy Bridge would be cool.. But that's another year away, and I bet when they release MBPs with that, there'll be another thread with some new technology lol.

9. Daiken macrumors newbie

Wow, you are early, i've been following arrendale for some time now but guess i will be starting to follow this one instead now :p probably will be over 11 Threads if we start now :rolleyes:

Thought, Im considering buying the new 13" MBP until they release any better. I have no mac atm and my laptop im on right now is almost at it's grave sadly enough :(

10. jiE macrumors regular

Whats missing in the current upgrade? If I needed a new computer, I would buy this one instantly, considering you do not want the 13 inch, which i get why people complain about.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The Unofficial "I'm waiting for Rockwell" is next :D:p

Should I make one? It's only 3-4 years away!

12. Sulwyn macrumors member

Well I'm gonna join the wait for Sandy Bridge now. I bought a macbook not too long ago because I could no longer stretch my wait for arrandale any longer and desperately needed a laptop to work on. It broke my heart for about 5 seconds that I didn't wait for Arrandale but now I'm pumped for the Sandy Bridge update. :D What do you guys think we'll get with the Sandy Bridge update?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sandy Bridge CPUs (dual core in low-end, quad core in higher end)
    nVidia GF100 based GPU (4xxM?)
    1333MHz DDR3
    SSDs as default in higher-end (up to 1TB)
    OLED screen (?)
    LightPeak (?)
    USB 3.0 (?)
    Blu-Ray (?)
    FireWire 3200 (?)

Hard to say yet...

14. wafl iron macrumors regular

15. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe getting this all out will make me feel better, hah. Here we go:

I just want Apple to be cutting edge again and not months behind with average tech and zero advancements.

IPS display is missing.

Nvidia graphics rub me the wrong way, they're using the same core as my 8600M that is defective and has failed on me once already...from 2007. ATI is truly bowing advancement with commitment to actually developing new technology.

No unibody design freshening: at my college, I can see about 300 15 inch unibody MBPs every day. I like having unique and different things. I also wish they did some sort of a modern industrial design rather than something that looks kid friendly.

Lack of USB 3 or any other new interface tech whatsoever. Not entirely Apple's fault, but there just haven't been any good advancements towards this either, and I feel odd dropping almost three grand on a computer that will be shadowed by actually new tech next year(which isn't always true, my late 07 MBP is pretty much the same tech-wise as the late 09 MBPs. Nothing big has changed.)

It still has an optical drive, and nothing advanced, at that. I believe Apple should be the one to push the Optical drive out and into an external casing like the Macbook Air has. It just takes up way too much space for the average amount of use it gets. Whether Apple includes an external superdrive with the MBP or not, it needs to get the hell out. Imagine what could be directly applied to that space? there's enough space there to extend the battery life to 14 hours, add a second hard drive or SSD(optibay can do this), more cooling for higher TDP chips, or an overall thinner and lighter computer.

Apple completely threw out innovation for macs and seems to be entirely focusing on the consumer mobile space, leaving their notebooks and stuff in the dust. Not that I hate the iPad, as this is being typed on one and I'm loving it, but they really are neglecting their computers. The news with 10.7 development slowing because of iphone OS is scary. We have been on a Leopard variant for a long ass time. Everything is advancing so slowly.

I'm hoping my Summer 07 MBP holds for another year.

16. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

Well said on your longish post that I will not quote completely.

I'm sure you '07 MBP should fine, as the new Macs released today are, as you pointed out, not that much faster. Only thing they really shine for is 2+ multithread hardcore CPU crunching. And even for that the old C2D is quite decent. Late this year or next year should be more interesting with OS X 10.7. and mobile fermi. I'm quite sure they'll move into 16:9 displays at some point which could also be the time for at least a slight design refresh.

17. GLDFSH macrumors newbie

surely the fact that you're underwhelmed by the update suggests that maybe you should put a bit less faith in Apple and not spend another 12 months on a thread only to be disappointed again?

18. Sulwyn macrumors member

In all the experience I've had with computers, I've found that macs are still a lot more reliable than PCs so I don't want to make the switch back to PCs. Yes the update wasn't as great as what most people were hoping for but that doesn't discount the fact that apple still makes some of the most reliable computers out there. So yes I will wait another year to be possibly disappointed.

19. kotak07 macrumors newbie

I too agree with this statement as well as the entire post. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.