The unofficial "I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noch, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noch macrumors newbie

    Jan 26, 2010
  2. Doc69 macrumors 6502

    Dec 21, 2005
    When can we expect Sandy Bridge MBPs?

    I need a new MBP at the beginning of 2011. However, if MBPs with Sandy Bridge are not out by March 2011, I may as well buy one now.

    What's your guess for release time for Sandy Bridge MBPs? It seems like it took 3 months after the release of Arrandale to get it into a MBP, and Wikipedia says Sandy Bridge should be out in Q4 2010. That should make a Q1 2011 release possible. What do you guys think?
  3. FnuGk macrumors regular

    Aug 6, 2009
    i wonder what they will do of the 13" by then? go AMD with those maybe?
  4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Feb 18, 2008
    The first release of Sandy Bridge in Q1 2011 will only be desktop variants of the dual and quad core variety; 6 and 8 core Sandy Bridge chips aren't due out til Q2 2011 (Intel is taking the same strategy as with Westmere micro-architecture and plans to initiate production of less complex processors first with higher-end models following later) - add to that mass production of the chips isn't scheduled til Q3 2011 (And that's all assuming no delays, and with whats new in these chips I wouldn't be the least surprised if delays came along). Personally, I have not heard anything about mobile SB chips; so it's safe to say mobile chips won't be out for a while - not to mention how long it will take to mass produce them enough for Apple's needs. So in my opinion; it will be at least a year from now til mobile SB chips are even announced - All of those people thinking Q1 2011 for SB MBPs will be sorely disappointed.
  5. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

    Apr 19, 2010
    agree...I would say the soonnest it would be out is in a 18 months. Thats a long wait and I already waited long I'm waiting for the Ipod touch BTS sale but am most likely buying towards the end of next week
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page