The "Upset about Gift Cards" Thread

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bulbousnub, Apr 10, 2015.

1. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Anyone get screwed on a launch date because they used a gift card like me?

Why does Apple allow you to add the Gift Card to your passbook and then provide a link to the Apple Store app on the pass if you can't use your Gift Card in the app?

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

I got a 42 SS / black classic buckle for launch day with a combo of gift cards and debit card, but it was my last choice for the SS watch.

Space grey 42 sport ship slipped, as did Space Black SS, standard SS with link, all SS with sport, etc. all by the time I could place an order around 12:08.

So yeah, it kinda sucks.

3. Mythicstatus2 macrumors regular

The smart people ordered the watch without the gift cards in the app then called apple later to apply the gift card.

I sympathise though, because using the website to order is a significant disadvantage with something this in demand.

Apple really should enable gift cards on their apps. it makes no sense why they don't.

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I had my work and personal macbook pros open at the same time, i had one devoted specifically to purchase. The store wasn't loading, on a whim I tried the other - got through, chose a favorite, entered my gift card + cc and I got an email confirm within 10 seconds. Got the 42 MM stainless w/ a 4/24-5/8 shipping estimate.

It helps when you've done enough QA testing through checkout flows to know how to breeze through them!

5. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

That's what I did, except I need to call them back. They only applied the GC to the AppleCare+ part of the order and not the watch :rolleyes:

6. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple has a it's financial unit staffed with Pit Bulls... they get all our money :)

7. EngenZerO macrumors regular

I ordered last night through the website and got a release window (4/24-5/8) shipping time. 42MM SS Black Sport Band. Used two gift cards and my cc. I followed someones advice and had all the GCs in a text file for cut and paste during the checkout! Store surprisingly was up at 1:01 MT for me as well.

8. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I was in the same boat- I had 345.00 worth of gift cards....but when the app came up and i got to payment and saw that I couldn't use my gift cards the 38 mm SS milanese watch was saying 4/24-5/8 and when I finally got to the website about 5 minutes later the date was the same so I got lucky that it didn't create issues for me. Lesson learned for next time. :)

9. Hexcruncher macrumors regular

The smart people checked in advance if they could use their gift cards within the app, and then bought online when they realised this wasn't possible.

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Nope, I was prepared. I knew from the get go that I couldn't use my gift card from the app, so I was already prepared to use the web store from Safari on my iMac. Add in that I had my pin in a text file so I was able to copy and paste it in, making the purchase smooth.

Sorry you had a hard time, OP. But I agree, it's dumb it can't redeem gift cards in the app.

11. Mythicstatus2 macrumors regular

And if they are even smarter they can now call apple and apply those same gifts cards post order. KAching!

12. prtcool1193 Suspended

prtcool1193

I was able to call and they did it for me! Called about an hour ago!

13. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Thats a good idea! I waited till checkout to look at the card (lucky I pulled it out before i started!). Typing those letters took up some time for sure.

14. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

I'm pissed. I guess.
    I chatted on line and they said I'd have to cancel and Reorder. Which would mean I'd loose my 4/24 date. I don't think so. Current lead time is now June.

15. bulbousnub thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it just doesn't seem like Apple cares that they intentionally misled consumers into believing the Apple Store app works with gift cards either.

CSRs in Live Chat or on the phones aren't giving two craps about us poor plebs their company screwed over. Very rude about the whole situation.

16. mbhforum macrumors 6502

+1. Did the same thing and today called Apple and they applied the Gift card to my first choice in the App Store purchase (Sports Band).

17. Jacc Sparrow macrumors member

Jacc Sparrow

I was in the same boat. I knew that you couldnt use the GC in the app but like many others i had the code copied to a text file. the store didnt load for me until about 3:10 I couldnt get my first, second or third choice. I really wanted a 42mm so i just ordered the pink, and said i would swap out the bands later on. No big deal..just glad i got it. But no reason why if the Apple gift card is in Passbook we cant use it in the app.

Oh well

18. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I think the same thing happened to me. My GC was only deducted $74, which is the AC+ and tax on it.

19. mbhforum macrumors 6502

How long did it take to show up on the Orders page? I called about 90 minutes ago and haven't seen the changes yet. She did say it would take 60 minutes.

20. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

I'm actually starting to think they are just charging the AC+ right now and then the they will charge for the Apple Watch before it ships. My AMEX also has a hold for $49 which is probably from before I had the GC applied to the order.

21. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I had about six gift cards to use for this occasion, but I knew that I couldn't order directly off the App.

I just charged my card using Apple Pay, and the following morning called customer service. They were able to add my six gift cards without any issue, and I still have my shipping date as April 24 - May 8. My card didn't receive a full authorization anyway, just the charge for AC+.

YMMV, but I feel knowing pre-hand that Gift Cards aren't accepted, I did something else to make sure my order went through.

Just my .02.

22. kjparfekt macrumors regular

kjparfekt

I was beyond frustrated. Luckily after 1 minute I said forget it and went ahead with my order to ensure that first delivery date. I'll deal with my gift card later.

23. Planey28 macrumors 6502

+1 to calling Apple and getting them to apply the gift cards. I called after my order had processed and they were happy to add the gift card to the order.

However it is shocking that in 2015 their own store app doesn't even allow you to use their own gift cards.

24. bulbousnub thread starter macrumors 6502

That's my big thing here. Yeah, I'm super upset that I don't have my watch on release day... but it's a watch. Life will go on.

But why push the Apple Store app so hard when it can't accept all of your "normally accepted" methods of payment?

And don't get me started on store reservations... if I could have just reserved one for pickup on the 24th, this would be even less of a problem.

25. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

They should allow us to preload the gc balance in advance; at first I was going to do it using the app store and call after to apply the giftcard but my account for some reason stated contact support everytime I typed my cvv; I had the website ready and debated for early release with the classic buckle or 4-6 weeks milanese loop.... I went with the loop since I loved it from the start and the tang buckle I know for sure will get ruined fast from pulling it out.