Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Now that my gaming build, The Crimson, is completed I'm having trouble finding things to work on besides school stuff (and I'd rather not do that, lol). I want to delve back into the world of PPC once more but I need a way to do this without over splurging like I usually do... so my thought is why not just get a little machine that's self contained like an iMac or a PowerBook and just use it for something like a little jukebox project or whatnot!

So now I guess I'm on the search again for a compact-ish PowerMac that I can use for light computing, anyone have a clue where I can find one that's half decent? Craigslist in my area is *visible shuddering* uhgblugh, and eBay has really been hit or miss too on prices.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Now that my gaming build, The Crimson, is completed I'm having trouble finding things to work on besides school stuff (and I'd rather not do that, lol). I want to delve back into the world of PPC once more but I need a way to do this without over splurging like I usually do... so my thought is why not just get a little machine that's self contained like an iMac or a PowerBook and just use it for something like a little jukebox project or whatnot!

So now I guess I'm on the search again for a compact-ish PowerMac that I can use for light computing, anyone have a clue where I can find one that's half decent? Craigslist in my area is *visible shuddering* uhgblugh, and eBay has really been hit or miss too on prices.

Check computer recycling places near by, they might be helpful. Also whats the specs on the crimson rose?

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Check computer recycling places near by, they might be helpful. Also whats the specs on the crimson rose?

Specs for the Crimson are as follows:

3.5 GHZ AMD Fx-6300 Black Edition
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengence RAM (I forget the speed)
Sapphire Radeon R7 370 4GB 256-bit
1TB WD Black HD
GIGABYTE A970-D3P motherboard
Corsair 600W Modular PSU
Rosewill 350 mb/s PCIe wireless card
LG 24x DVD+RW SATA
Corsair Spec-01 Case

It's a beaut', but I need a cooler that actually fits in my slim mid-ATX case because the cooler that comes with the Fx-6300 is as useful as mittens for a snake.

Possumgal

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2015
N. Central Arkansas
Try places like Goodwill also. People have picked up real bargains there, although in my area, they were too inundated with old computers and won't even take any more.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Try places like Goodwill also. People have picked up real bargains there, although in my area, they were too inundated with old computers and won't even take any more.
That seems to be a nationwide thing now. Goodwill is no longer willing to be a dead computer dumping ground.

Goodwill has an auction site though for computers/electronics/components they do accept. Generally the stuff there is of superior quality.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Well I'm now at the point of either A.) buying a really old thinkpad to use as a beat me up laptop and a linux laptop, or B.) trying to find a decent powerbook on eBay, which is hard to do for a good price.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well I'm now at the point of either A.) buying a really old thinkpad to use as a beat me up laptop and a linux laptop, or B.) trying to find a decent powerbook on eBay, which is hard to do for a good price.
Please define 'good price' and indicate which size you are looking for.

Less than five minutes with Google got me to eBay where I found this for $40.25 plus $12.95 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power...-April-2004-/271982666978?hash=item3f536e24e2

Acceptable condition to me.

Some of the one's here are less if you're willing to fix a few things.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Apple-Lapto...0G4&Product%20Family=PowerBook&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Unless your budget is less than $20 or so?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Please define 'good price' and indicate which size you are looking for.

Less than five minutes with Google got me to eBay where I found this for $40.25 plus $12.95 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power...-April-2004-/271982666978?hash=item3f536e24e2

Acceptable condition to me.

Some of the one's here are less if you're willing to fix a few things.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Apple-Lapto...0G4&Product%20Family=PowerBook&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Unless your budget is less than $20 or so?
I think his budget is low. I think, in total, I've spent $1000 (over 4.5 years) on this hobby, pretty decent in my opinion.

Reactions: eyoungren

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
I want to delve back into the world of PPC once more but I need a way to do this without over splurging...

That's one of the great things about PPC macs: they're all really affordable now! I think there's a macrumors classified area, but you have to get invited to it. If you know exactly what you want maybe you could post in this forum a "looking for..." thread?

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I may post in a looking for thread, but I have no idea if it's frowned upon by moderators or not and since I don't know any mods or rules concerning posting a thread like that. If I can remember correctly, I was told a while back that once you get 500 posts or threads then you can go to the "classifieds area". I don't know if that's actually what the requirement is or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.