The usual critique stuff

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Hey.

It's been a fairly long time since I did this, so feel free to pull me up on my skills (or lack thereof), just here:

http://postersbyemail.com/instantimages/

It's a favour for a family member, so... yeah. Suggestions.

Points of note:

* it needs to be accessible. Easily readable. Pretty is a secondary, really, and crazy crazy flash/abstract stuff is right out.
* I'm really not sure how the colours will come out, because my laptop screen's colour profile is whack.

Not finished, and only index validates because I forgot to add the dtd to the top of the other pages! It's designed to be put in a server-side environment anyway, old habits die hard.

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Wow, 30-odd views and nobody has anything to say.

Either it's too embarrassingly bad, absolutely perfect, or everyone has me on ignore! :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
OK... I'll have a go.

• First, like the Kraftwerk (I always would) 'boing' bit but why?
• Second, take the Instant Images heading down in size to about 75-80% of its size. Its too large and it doesn't need a full-stop, it's not a sentence.
• Knock the back yellow blob back a bit in size and colour saturation and put a little blur through it. It's too vivid and makes the buttons too hard to read...

These are just my initial impressions.

Edit: After a second look, run the strapline directly beneath the heading. Decrease its size so that it fits snugly between the left edge of the page and he descender of the 'g' in 'images'... Ensure everything else in the page is well below this unit of words...

The type is a little heavy on Pshop effects, knock back the drop shadows and bevels.

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Blue Velvet said:
OK... I'll have a go.

• First, like the Kraftwerk (I always would) 'boing' bit but why?
To see where the div containing the content will end up ;)
• Second, take the Instant Images heading down in size to about 75-80% of its size. Its too large and it doesn't need a full-stop, it's not a sentence.
OK, I'll mess around with it. It was, initially, bigger!
• Knock the back yellow blob back a bit in size and colour saturation and put a little blur through it. It's too vivid and makes the buttons too hard to read...
Willdo.
Edit: After a second look, run the strapline directly beneath the heading. Decrease its size so that it fits snugly between the left edge of the page and he descender of the 'g' in 'images'... Ensure everything else in the page is well below this unit of words...
Sounds good...
The type is a little heavy on Pshop effects, knock back the drop shadows and bevels.
Hehe... I'm trying to make up for (consummate) lack of skill through overuse of technology. It's the only avenue I have :)

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Alright, I've got some interesting things to say.

The text about using the buttons shouldn't be necessary. This is like telling users to use the buttons in their browser, or something along those lines. The links are self explanatory. Btw, nice use of block elements.

The bottom stripe on the bottom should be measured in something expandable, like ems. The text should be centered too, unless you have a reason for it to be off. While you're at it, make the stripe not so strict in its position. Not all people have large enough monitors to see it, and it should move down when the text is increased.

I think I've found a bug in Safari. When you go to your site, switch to another tab, and then go back to your site, the right pictures are slightly covered in a gray transparency. It doesn't do that in Firefox, so I think it's a bug in Safari. Anyway, check your code if it's reproducible on your machine.

Also, always leave a "noscript" way out if the user doesn't have a JS compatible browser or if JS is off. Other than that, it looks pretty good.
-Chase

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
rendezvouscp said:
Alright, I've got some interesting things to say.

The text about using the buttons shouldn't be necessary. This is like telling users to use the buttons in their browser, or something along those lines. The links are self explanatory. Btw, nice use of block elements.
Yeah, I know. That's been nuked from the 'portfolio' page, but it's yet to get moved around to the rest. I f**king hate writing static HTML! So bloody frustrating. And thanks ;)
The bottom stripe on the bottom should be measured in something expandable, like ems. The text should be centered too, unless you have a reason for it to be off. While you're at it, make the stripe not so strict in its position. Not all people have large enough monitors to see it, and it should move down when the text is increased.
Yeah, I know the bottom bar is whack, too. It was low priority, the "owner" still hasn't got back to me with content. I'm making up placeholders all over the shot. Thanks for reminding me about ems, though, I never ever use them through forgetfulness...
I think I've found a bug in Safari. When you go to your site, switch to another tab, and then go back to your site, the right pictures are slightly covered in a gray transparency. It doesn't do that in Firefox, so I think it's a bug in Safari. Anyway, check your code if it's reproducible on your machine.
Hmm. Well, I checked rudimentaries in Safari (et al), but FF is my main browser so I hadn't occasioned upon that. They really shouldn't be, but I'll consider re-specifying the #ids as having no alpha in the Javascript funtion.
Also, always leave a "noscript" way out if the user doesn't have a JS compatible browser or if JS is off. Other than that, it looks pretty good.
Ah yeah, noscripts. Forgot them, too :rolleyes:

Cheers dude!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.