The various screen issues are becoming news

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dlanod, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Given that this is a real issue and not just one reserved for those of us accused of having OCD it has inevitably made the press:

http://www.t3.com/news/new-apple-ipad-3-problems

Quote: Some have also pointed out a general inconsistency with the display colours, such as Gottabemobile, which has called for Apple to take action: “Many users probably won’t notice the color shift until they compare it to other iPads.

However, the yellow displays are enough of a problem to cause people to return them and tarnish Apple’s reputation of consistency. The yellow iPad display issue is very real and Apple needs to do something about it as soon as possible.”

I have given up and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 for now until they get a grip on their QC. I'm really sorry I sold my iPad 2.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

It doesn't have to be a real issue to make the news. People will happily report any Apple FUD simply to get the page hits.

I'm not saying that nobody has screen issues. I'm saying it's being vastly overblown on the forum, as per usual.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL.

I mean really? Your evidence is an obscure blog post quoting another blog that has some pictures. I hope that you are not seriously basing your purchasing decisions on this kind of drivel.

Without numbers or anything more than anecdotal evidence, not to mention a generous return policy that ensures you get a quality product, along with a one year warranty, this is looking to me like trollgate.

I'm not even saying your wrong about there possibly being a quality control issue. I'm just saying this thread barely rises to the level of rumor.

Enjoy your Galaxy Tab. More iPads for the people who want them. Meanwhile, the trolls will churn out new threads about the same topic over and over again without adding anything new. Isn't there a Samsung forum you can go to in order to post this?

4. Carouser macrumors 65816

In other words, some borderline news aggregator blog post is saying that some people are complaining about the screen and are returning iPads because of it. But anyone on this forum already knows that people are doing that. Big deal.

EDIT: Another poster using this to spread the FUD that Apple QC is 'slipping'.

5. urweirdmister macrumors newbie

I got my iPad on launch day and haven't had any issues mentioned in the article, however I did experience light leak on the bottom. I took it into my local store yesterday and after some testing the associate noticed the issue so they replaced it with a new one. Other than that I've really had no problems with it. Although, there was a strange issue with the brand new one last night. While in the settings attempting to pick up my home network (WiFi only model) it wouldn't accept my WEP password. I had to open safari and put in my password through the prompt. It was strange but I figured it out. Really no other issues to report personally.

6. xraytech macrumors 68030

I wouldn't call T3 news

More like TMZ for Techies

7. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

8. Dlanod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Folks - I'm as much of an Apple fan as the next - and have been for years but I have never personally experience the issues with an Apple product like those I have with the new iPad. Never.

Tomorrow I will probably buy another - an 11" Macbook Air instead of an iPad for serious out and about stuff that the Samsung can't handle.

I just can't be bothered with the iPad screen lottery any more for now.

I feel saddened that on forums like these, respect amongst mutual enthusiasts is so lacking. What a pity.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

it's not about respect. it's about calling a spade a spade: the blog you linked is no more "news" than the accumulation of crud in the pipes under my sink is "food."

the "facts" in that blog are no more a reason to give up on purchasing apple products, than the lack of "nutritional value" of the crud in my pipes is a reason to give up eating. it just doesn't make sense, and you ought to thank us for pointing it out! if you had written sooner, we could have saved you from a mistake with samsung (not so much a samsung problem, but an ics one--i speak from experience) :)

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

So how come so many people DON'T have issues with the screen or the 'heat' yet we see this "news?" CR just posted that most don't notice or that it's not a concern.

I just love coming to the negativity forum where people post how they had an issue and feel like strangers online give a crap. :rolleyes:

12. ReallyBigFeet, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I wouldn't exactly call T3 a "minor blog aggregator" like Gizmodo. That's just naive. They are owned by Future PLC, the same group that owns and publishes some very popular and influential magazines and websites like:

Guitar World
    Official Xbox Magazine
    Maximum PC
    Mac|Life
    PC Gamer
    PlayStation: The Official Magazine
    Nintendo Power

Their opinion clearly is influential in the industry and they definitely have eyeballs and advertising clicks. They also publish several of the most popular eZines available on the Apple Newstand app.

Regardless, my screen is perfect so not an issue for me. But if these guys push it enough...they'll get other media outlets buzzing about it pretty quickly. Might even get Apple's attention since Apple spends a lot of advertising dollars with them.

That said, its pretty clear they only made a slight reference to screen tint issues. The article is just an accumulation of the four most commonly cited complaints regarding the new iPad. They didn't give any credibility to the "Major screen issue" that is such a wolf cry here on the forums. And it should be noted that T3 themselves gave the new iPad a 5 out of 5 star rating.

13. Dlanod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not to divert attention from Apple but are you advising me to avoid ICS? Haven't tried to upgrade.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

In my opinion, ICS is a very impressive upgrade from Honeycomb, and much needed. But, it falls surprisingly short of the iOS experience (I know, Apples and Oranges -- pun intended). I had a lot of frustration with it. Still, if you already have the Samsung, then as long as the hardware is alright with the upgrade, I would say you ought to do it :)

@bigfoot

"I wouldn't exactly call T3 a "minor blog aggregator" like Gizmodo. That's just naive."
    I guess I am naive then. T3 doesn't mean a whole lot to me, and that article was really poorly done. Most of the posts in this forum (on either side of the issue) achieve far better results. That is just sad, and certainly not worthy of being called "news."

15. wirelessness macrumors 6502

That's probably because there is not an official Android Ice Cream Sandwich update for you to apply. Someday....'soon'.

16. glen e macrumors 68030

And the stock marches on… the death Grip on the iPhone4 was a problem , this is not a problem, but it's fun for people to generate paranoia......

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

18. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I love posts like this. As if the stock price has anything to do with real product issues. :rolleyes:

Tony

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

20. chancee macrumors member

I would love for the screen issues to finally become big news... It would be nice to see Apple fess up for once. But I'm not holding my breath. Apple's usual response is to stonewall and blame the user.

I've been through 10 ipad 3s, all with varying tint issues. Yellow tint in one corner, yellow tint on half the screen on another, red tint all over on another one... Suffice it to say, these were not ready to be released to the public. This is what happens when you insist on designing and mass producing a product in secrecy. Legitimate methods of testing are never carried out.

Bottom line is I'm really missing the pure white screen on my ipad 1 that I sold on ebay. If you can ignore the transluscent, color-shifting colors behind the text on the ipad 3, it's great. And in my opinion, video even looked better on the ipad 1.

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

You guys have amazing persistence (not to mention a lot of free time). There is simply no way I keep trying for a good one 10 times. After 1 or 2, if they didn't let me open one in the store to verify that it was good, I'd give up.