The verdict... I love OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trepex, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

I've been a Windows user for years. Recently I was forced to use a Mac at work, and it actually intrigued me, despite the years of Windows brainwashing, which had taught me that Macs are cumbersome systems that only the artsy-farsty type go for. Well... I was wrong.

I finally made the decision to buy a Macbook Pro, and after learning about the Santa Rosa update I decided to pull the trigger on it as soon as it was released. I did and I've been using a Mac as my only primary computer for just over a week now and I love this frigging thing! Not only do I love the MBP itself but OSX is the most well-thought-out operating system I've ever used. I'm a Windows and *NIX expert and I expected OSX to be similar to BSD but it shows I was just being silly. OSX looks amazing, it's fast, but most importantly it just makes sense.

To sum it up I think that the biggest frustration, for Windows users who try Macs, is that we're used to doing things in a very particular and illogical way. First-time computer users find OSX far more intuitive than Windows, and so I've found the easiest way to learn this system is to just forget everything that Windows taught me and say to myself, for example, "How would I do XYZ if I had it my way?" So far, everything is just the way I'd expect it to be.

Thanks, Apple - I'm never going back to Windows :)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Congrats on getting a Mac and that's good to hear that you enjoy it :)

3. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Congratulations! It may sound silly, but I always smile a bit when I see a switcher enjoying OS X for the first time. It really is an amazing operating system. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to the Mac community. ;p

- Taylor

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

5. sfisher macrumors regular

Welcome to the other side :D I found over time that I had to memorize how to get to settings and programs in Windows. With MacOS X, if I'm not sitting in front of it, I do not remember where anything is! It just comes naturally to the user. I love the BSD part of OS X too :cool:

6. thecite macrumors newbie

Well..

Well I'd have to disagree there. I'm a Mac user and love OS X, but I've used windows for most of my life, primarily XP and I think that there are some things that XP has got right. For example, the 3 buttons.
    In windows: Minimize, half size/adjustable and quit.
    OS X should have this, not these 3 odd useless buttons:
    close-but-not-really, shrink next to the trash and toggle-crappy-size.
    What kind of buttons are these to work with?
    All I do to toggle between apps is practically key shortcuts, cmd h, cmd tab, cmd q, grip on the mighty mouse and expose, spaces.
    Expose with the mighty mouse grip button and spaces with hot corners are really what help to pull off app management in OS X without the use of the 3 logical buttons.
    Other than this minor inconvenience, OS X kicks the crap out of windows. Although, Windows 7 might give it a run for its money.