The Verge: 2013 MBA best laptop ever

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sparks9, Jun 17, 2013.

1. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

2. sk3tch macrumors regular

Congrats on your config! I just used one today with that exact configuration. It was what I recommended my friend purchase. Both she and I received ours today. :)

I believe your config is the best overall for bang/buck. Perfection!

3. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I ordered one last week with your same config (except with a 256GB SSD). How's the battery/heat/fan noise on your machine? I'd love to hear if you get the chance!

4. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

These 8GB's over 4GB's threads/postings are killing me. I still haven't decided if I want to keep the base model because of the RAM.

5. sk3tch macrumors regular

Unfortunately I have only used it for a few hours and it has been plugged in. I'll definitely report back tomorrow once I've unplugged it and gone out and about. So far, so good...no noises, no heat issues, etc. Although I've just been updating/installing/benchmarking...nothing fancy. Going to start doing some VM stuff tomorrow or the next day (waiting for an image from work).

6. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Cool thanks so much! Enjoy it! Mine is leaving China now.

7. rovex macrumors 65816

Absolutely, if it had a screen that measured up to the rest of the package. :D

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But the screen isn't bad at all. Apple has just handed us this idea that we need retina. Besides, do you honestly think the MB Air won't jump in price if it were retina?

9. rovex macrumors 65816

Of course there'd be a price jump. But then who's to say they wouldn't retain the non retina MBA's as they're doing with the pro for those with tight budgets?

10. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I'd rather have fewer choices. It was hard enough for me to pick the right MacBook last week.

11. Livewings macrumors regular

Meh, the best laptop ever to me is the Pixel. That thing can last 19 hours without a charge. Don't forget it boots the computer in 2 seconds while having a touchscreen and highest screen resolution of any laptop.

I just need to figure out how to run iTunes on this thing.

12. gloryunited macrumors 6502

What a sweet review by The Verge and man I miss Toby's Estate in Sydney!

I'm deciding between a 128 vs 256GB i5 13" with 8GB RAM. Too bad the Apple Store here only got the 4 stock models + the 2 ultimate ones. The write speed increase is tempting but still feel they're charging too much for the upgrade.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Considering you can't ever upgrade after your return period why would you consider 4GB unless you are only going to own it for a short period. It's not an inexpensive upgrade for what it is, but at $100 it is cheap in long term overall performance.

14. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

If you plan on keeping it awhile, the upgrade to 8GB is well worth it.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Windows laptops are for people with tight budgets. :p

16. jedolley macrumors 68000

I honestly would not be surprised if Apple drops the non-retina MBP altogether. Right now Apple is making 6 different laptop models. I'm pretty sure they would like to consolidate that back down to 4. I think that's more likely having 8 different models (2 MBA, 2rMBA, 2MBP, 2rMBP). Honestly, what would be the difference between 13" rMBA and a 13" rMBP? Another likely scenario is dropping it down to 3 models and dropping both the "Pro" and "Air" from the name and just having 11", 13", and 15" Retina Macbooks. I guess they could either retain the Pro or the Air name, but I doubt they would retain both.

17. revisionA macrumors 6502

I love it. So there... the only hard part is finding a cool enough bag to carry it in.

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

The merits of a 2013 MBA aside, the way The Verge vacillates on its Apple coverage strikes me as rather hilarious.

Patronizing to the Nth degree on most articles, it's a site I enjoy avoiding.

19. musika macrumors 65816

musika

How's the heat/battery/fan on your machine? 11" or 13"?

20. jedolley macrumors 68000

This is what I am getting.

http://www.tombihn.com/laptop_bags/TB0223.html

Had the original iPad version when the iPad 1 came out, but am liking the new style/version even more so I had to order one for my incoming MBA.

21. revisionA macrumors 6502

13 and i still havent heard a fan. Battery life outlasts me... I need a nap before it does.

----------

However, I need a backpack to hold at least one class worth of books and stuff along with it. Not a bad choice, other than that.

22. Neeyul macrumors member

My fan only came on when I was all up in World of Warcraft and Diablo 3's business, and then only a light whirring and no overly hot spots on my lap. (13"/i5/8/128)

Since then, I have it sitting flat between two of the shipping pyramids to let air flow beneath and around it while I hook it up to a 1080p monitor, and no fans. :p

23. irDigital0l Guest

Sweet, love the Verge so them liking the new one only makes me want to get it.

Hopefully Apple does the bts promotion soon.

24. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

This is the one I have. It's just the right size.

25. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Unless you're short on cash, get the 8GB.