iPad mini The Verge iPad mini review: gives it a 9.0 score

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

2. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Wow even a good review from Engadget:

3. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Yes everyone praises it as expected. Check the front page for a review round up.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

c|net gives it 4 stars but complains about the price. Also that its more difficult to type on. Hmm...I wonder if they knock the 7" tablets for that too....

http://reviews.cnet.com/ipad-mini/

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Seems like everyone loves it... Except the people out here who've been claiming "The iPad would never work right if it was smaller". I wish those people would chime in and tell us what crow tastes like.

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

You know.. I always thought the iPad was the perfect size. I figured those smaller tablet's sold poorly because of the form factor. Then one day I was in Best Buy and happened to play with one of them. It wasn't a very popular tablet, but it was 7" (don't remember the model) and I thought after about 1 minute of using it... this would be really awesome. Soon after, the Nexus 7 came out.. I thought it was great. Only thing I didn't like was the aspect ratio, I much prefer'd the iPad's aspect ratio. So I'm glad they kept that with the Mini.

EDIT: To clarify, I thought those Android tablets were made small basically to cut cost, to hit a certain price point.

7. brig2221 macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me the name of the 2D side-scrolling action game that was being played on the Verge video review?

The game looked like awesome fun! I want to download it, but I have no idea what it is. Help would be greatly appreciated!

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Kind of more excited now after reading the reviews.

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

wait till you hear review from the actual users....

10. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

It's called punch quest, and it's one of the best games for iOS, I love it!

Best of all, it's FREE

----------

Now, can anyone direct me to the background that the verge's iPad mini had?

11. seajewel macrumors 6502

I think the iPad mini form factor is going to be just perfect. Thin, light. The display is going to be a little disappointing--I really don't like seeing the pixels while reading any more--and the RAM/Processor are a letdown, but for now the iPad mini will do, and the next one will be awesome.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

You mean "actual users" like the ones out here who claim that their eyes bleed every time they see a non-retina screen and now justify that the iPad Mini doesnt need retina? Or the people out here who slammed anyone complaining of iPad3 sluggishness and now defend an early update because "this will help with the iPad 3 sluggishness"? Or the ones that say the quality of the maps app is more important than the maps data? Or the ones with such abnormally small thumbs that they couldnt possibly use a 4" screen (until Apple made one and now its the new perfect size)

I love reading the forums but (other than a few genuine users out here) I would trust The Verge a million times more than I'd trust any of the people who constantly scream at anyone who gives a negative opinion.

13. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Exactly. Another laughable thing I use to see right after the Galaxy S3 was released.
    >That screen is way too saturated, the iPhone 4S is way better!
    >iPhone 5 keynote: iPhone now has 44% more saturation.
    >iPhone 5 screen is soo beautiful and colorful!

14. doboy macrumors 68000

Actually SIII's screen is way too saturated, not in a good way. The color is not accurate, way too much saturation for certain colors typical of an AMOLED screen.

15. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

OMG its SOOO not retina!
    why didnt we hear about this before?!?!??!

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Or the flipflopping thats just around the corner, "Scott Forstall's decisions to keep iOS looking similar each generation is essential to iOS development" becoming "Putting Jony Ive in charge of human interface is going to finally help update iOS's look and feel".

Anyway, speaking of color, is anyone concerned about how the "Slate" back of the iPad Mini gives a bluish tint? They mentioned it in the Verge review so hopefully it doesnt look that bad in real life.

Attached Files:

17. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Im sure it'll be fine. Anything is better than the silver that im tired of seeing on all my ipads.

18. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It could have been a reflection from ambient light or a wall or something. Colors always take on aspects of their environment.

19. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

It's the same as the slate iPhone 5. It looks bluish depending on what light you look at it in. It's not because there is blue nearby its more the way the light reflects off the surface give a blue/black tone.

20. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Josh from the verge said the black iPads tint was actually very nice .

21. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

okay

they should call it "cool black" instead of "warm black"

22. MRU, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The end verdict read up was very well put..

You should also check out

http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/ipad_mini

The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9644594/Apple-iPad-mini-review.html

and The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/31/ipad-mini-review?newsfeed=true

23. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.