The Verge: The MacBook Pro is a lie

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Many of us have been talking our way around this issue for the past week without directly confronting it, so I feel like now’s as good a time to address it as any: Apple’s new MacBook Pro laptops are not designed for professional use.

[...]

But the change with Apple’s 2016 generation of MacBook Pros is that those downsides have been amped up — more expensive and less compatible than ever before — to an extreme that exposes the fallacy of the continued use of the Pro moniker. These are Apple’s premiumlaptops, its deluxe devices, but not in any meaningful way computers tailored for the pros. A MacBook Pro is now simply what you buy if you’re in the Apple ecosystem and have a higher budget and expectations than the MacBook can fulfill.

[...]

MacBook Pros were once professional computers that could also appeal to an aspiring consumer audience. They were pricey for a general-purpose laptop, but justifiable as a luxury purchase or as a device that pays for itself by making its user more efficient and productive. But today MacBook Pros are very definitely consumer devices that only gesture toward a professional audience without truly endeavoring to appease it.

[...]

Apple’s 2016 MacBook Pros carry on the Pro moniker dishonestly. At least we should all hope that's the case — because if Apple actually believes that these new laptops are suitable and sufficient for intensive professional needs, then the company's long and happy relationship with creatives may be heading toward a calamitous breakup.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13548052/the-macbook-pro-lie

2. ekuLoN macrumors newbie

ekuLoN

A country where a schizophrenic has ruled
  3. GoodOne macrumors regular

Yawn.

They are designed for professional use but at the same time they're designed with an eye towards the future which is USB-C and not USB-A, VGA, DVI or whatever. Yes it's a tough Transition but it'll pay off.

I earn my Money using a MBP 2013 and I use two Dongles every day at the customer site and I'll be using two Dongles with my new MBP 2016 when I'm at the Office.

Of Course I love working without Dongles when I'm at home where everything is already wireless but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

Every morning when I turn on my MBP i smile because it's so lovely to work with. Yes I liked my Thinkpads but I didn't love them as much as my MBP.

And as for the Performance: we'll get the fastest CPUs Intel is offering right now, we'll get the fastest SSD available in any Laptop. So please...

4. samparmenter macrumors 6502

Anyone fancy reviewing the MBPs from 2018. Seems like its pretty easy to accurately review products that aren't even in the hands of consumers or reviewers yet.

5. leman macrumors 604

Its a shame that The Verge publishes articles by obviously incompetent writers. Already the fact that he complains about Apple not using (the slower) Kaby Lake chips discredits his entire argumentative enterprise. And what worth are the complains that there are barely any performance increases. Or complains about 'power sipping AMD graphics' before we even had an chance to compare Pascal to Polaris at low TDPs.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What the hell does The Verge know about professionals?

7. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Tim Cook must be extremely displeased with this article,

8. motime macrumors 6502

Yeah so anyone with any sense would stick to the 2015 models which were excellent.

9. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

When even The Verge is risking its freebies... you know something is rotten in Denmark.

I'm betting Death by Dongle as the Newsweek cover for the 2018 Apple bubble crash.

10. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

the product is not out yet

how is the verge writing reviews

what

11. anzio macrumors 6502

Still happy with my purchase of the 2016 MacBook Pro. Seems like the biggest upgrade yet.

12. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

They haven't even reviewed the Touch Bar models and they come out with this joke of an article? Ok.

I think Apple made a mistake naming the non-Touch Bar model a Pro, but the idea that these new MBPs are somehow not designed in the spirit of past MBPs is crazy. They're a clear evolution of where Apple was already going.

13. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Tech review sites probably already have them for reviews, but are still under NDA.

14. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Watch the Steve Jobs movie (not the Ashton one). It's so well written.

'End to end control'

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

though they shouldn't rush to conclusions until they've played with them all, touchbar won't do anything to lessen the blow of having only one port type,

whether its 2 or 4

16. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Tech review sites generally get the products before the public for review purposes.

They are under NDA right now.

17. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I make money with my MBP. I do quite a bit of work on it. A slow MBP can cause problems for the many lectures I give with animations and video - many of which are created on the MBP itself, though I also have a 32GB 3.5GHz i7 quad core iMac at home and a $16,000 32GB xeon HP workstation + FDA-certified DICOM diagnostic 7 megapixel monitor at work for the heavy lifting. I would most certainly consider myself a professional. And I'm very much looking forward to my new MBP.

Exactly what do you mean by professional?

Sure, a few dongles might be a bit of a hassle if you prefer not to carry any little cable bits with you. But since most "professionals" need to be prepared for anything, a couple ounces of adapters isn't going to break anyone's back. I always had to carry HDMI, VGA and DVI adapters with me when I used a MacBook Air in case I got someplace to give a lecture and they have a different projection system than I expected. My current 13" MBP has an HDMI port, so that saves me one adapter, but that's hardly a major savings.

Should the MBP have had an SD card slot? Maybe. But I'd hardly say it's not a professional machine without it. My $16K HP workstation doesn't have one, either.

This has always been a true statement. Not seeing how that's a negative.

18. xmonkey, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Did you read it? It's a lot of bitching about the specs not being "Pro", there's barely anything on the ports.

Not using Pascal chips? Get real. Apple has never used super-high TDP parts for the dGPU in the MBPs. Complaining about no Kaby Lake? I guess they left out the part that there's literally no Kaby Lake suitable out right now squarely due to Intel dragging their feet. The keyboard isn't "pro" merely on the basis of it having low travel? Ya ok.

Maybe they can wait until they publish some benchmarks and compare them with other laptops in the class before ranting to their readers about specs.

19. idunn macrumors 6502

Apple has already released the specs of the 2016 MBPs; advent of the actual hardware later will make no difference.

They are clearly by no definition 'professional,' even if meeting some less than demanding tasks. Those preferring to use OSX, and requiring truly capable laptops, have every reason to be upset. This is no accident and Apple has clearly forsaken them.

One could hope that Apple will soon realize the error of its ways.

20. Macalway macrumors 68020

Funny

Dude should work for Yahoo, and write about Kardashians and aliens

A bright future :)

21. anzio macrumors 6502

Lol. Although I completely disagree... Thanks for the laugh.

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

We need to stop calling these MBP and call them MBL.

23. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

1. Not very good to assume this as you don't know and 2. It doesn't change the fact that as their reader I can't evaluate the device on my own merits with their review available. Instead they're making the conclusion before giving their readers a fair review. It's a disservice, but I guess I shouldn't expect much from the Verge anymore.

24. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

lol. The Verge is one of the biggest cheerleaders for Apple.