The Verizon to AT&T switch. What's the process?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impact_blue, Jun 6, 2008.

1. impact_blue macrumors regular

Well considering a launch of the 3G iphone next week, I'll be switching from Verizon to AT&T. I've been with Verizon for 8 years [out of contract for the past year] and wondering what's the process of switching over to another carrier?

Would I keep my current number?
    Do I axe my verizon service then go to AT&T?
    Do I get the iphone first THEN axe my verizon service?
    ect...

I'm sure many people here will be goin through this same process. Thanks guys

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You can port your current number over to AT&T. Don't discontinue your Verizon service - the number will still need to belong to you when you port it. I'm not positive, but I believe that once the porting is complete they should automatically discontinue your Verizon account.

I'm sure someone else can answer more exactly.

3. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Assuming you have itunes downloaded already....

1. Buy your iphone

2. Hook your phone to your computer and follow the prompts. Itunes will port your number over for you. Easy Breezy, Japaneezie

P.S. Do NOT drop your Verizon account. Let itunes take care of that part. You may want to verify that your Verizon account has been disconnected once you have service with AT&T however.

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

Yup, it's pretty simple

I have done this twice. Simply tell iTunes you want to keep your number and it is all taken care of. Verizon will send you a final bill which will include any early termination fees. As the others have said, do not cancel the Verizon account, you will lose your number if you do.

5. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds simple. Thanks guys.

I'm hoping that AT&T subsidizes the phone, being a new AT&T customer. =D

6. Mad Max24 macrumors member

its simple like everyone said: just sync your new iphone to itunes and it will ask you what # you want to transfer. You dont have to tell Verizon anything, as soon as your iphone is ready to use in about 5 min. your Verizon account is terminated! Then Verizon will send you a final bill.

7. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

The last steps is questioning if you made the right choice by switching to ATT!

8. flavamactop macrumors member

What if you have a family plan? If I transfer my number using iTunes, but my wife doesn't get an iPhone, how do we transfer her number? Do they both have to be transferred at the same time?

9. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

Hi -

I'm planning on switching over from Verizon to AT&T as well, but what's the process if I don't want to port my Verizon number right away? I'd like to test the iPhone+network out for the trial period before porting my number over. Do I just activate the iPhone, get a different number, and then call CS to get my old Verizon number ported over to replace it once I'm ready to do so?

Or should I just port it over to AT&T in the beginning and then port it back over to Verizon if it doesn't work out? (I'm out of contract with Verizon, and if I stuck with Verizon, I'd end up getting a new phone+contract anyway)

Thanks,
    D

10. joekun macrumors regular

I have a similar question, but I need to move 2 phones over from Sprint, 1 iphone for me, and another non-iphone for my wife. I'm thinking this is what I need to do,

1) Buy new iphone
    2) Take wife to AT&T store to pick out her phone
    3) Tell them I have an iphone to activate, but want my wife's phone to be primary (so I can sign up for a discount later) and sign up for a family plan.
    4) Hurry home and activate my iphone

Does this sound right?

Thanks

11. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as the OP only I'm still under contract until Jan. '09. The only thing is I'm in a family plan so hopefully the early termination fee won't apply.

How long does it take to transfer over your number?

12. flavamactop macrumors member

A lot of people looking to transfer a Verizon family plan here... based on the number of responses... I guess anyone who tried it before is still trying and can't post :)

13. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

What he said. It'd be nice to test out the network

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

AT&T service down here is pretty bad to average but the iPhone more than makes up for it :D

I am able to deal with the AT&T pains :)

15. Hoagie52 macrumors member

Break contract

Any one know if the earliy termanation feed applys to all phones on plan or is the 175 cover the whole contact.My wife and I have verizon I am under contract for another year but mywofe is free and clear but I don't know if they could charge me the 175 twice or just once.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I believe the termination fee applies to the contract, not each phone.

17. mets1125 macrumors regular

Only the phone #s under contract get charged the ETF... In your case you should only get charged $175. If you both were under contract then both would pay (even under family plan).

18. efice32 macrumors 6502

There's a termination fee PER LINE on Verizon. I just switched to AT&T a month or so ago and had to pay $80 for each line. The ETF decreases as you get closer to the end of your contract, so if one line is out of the contract already then you shouldn't have a fee for that line. This is how I understand it at least.

19. Hoagie52 macrumors member

20. porkchopbone macrumors member

efice is right. The termination for verizon is per line and it decreases each month. Just call verizon and they will tell you the cost to term broken down by how many lines.

21. drpmr1 macrumors newbie

2 phones on verizon, want to switch one to att

i have 2 different phones on verizon, i.e. 2 different contracts: one for me and one for family member but not family share plan. i want to switch MY phone ONLY to att for the iphone and NOT the other phone. can i do that and what is the process??