The Vertical LED Screen Stripes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phillyzero, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I was wondering (yeah, if you read my old topics, I still haven't bought a MBP yet lol) is the vertical screen stripes still a major problem for the MBPs?

As evidenced in this Apple thread:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1423301&tstart=0
    and these pictures:
    http://gallery.mac.com/eliete#100037

This likely non-hardware related issue seems to happen on the 15", Penryn (or basically since February for the most part, Matte (though some glossy has been reported).

In that thread it seems like a relatively large number of recent buyers are having this problem and the 10.5.3 update does NOT fix it , and though it is simply a minor annoyance, it still makes me reluctant to go ahead and buy.

I'd like to hear from people who have bought a MBP recently, especially since the Feb. minor update, if they have had this problem or not. I'm asking because on that thread it seems that some buyers have returned their MBPs upwards of 3 times and EVERY time they've had this problem occur at least once or twice. I want to know how big a risk I'm taking in this occuring as there are no Apple stores near me so I have to buy online (in order to get a student discount) and I'm really not very willing to return online as it would be a huge loss of time.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You usually only here about the ones that are having problems on this forum.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've had my MBP for 16 months now and never had a problem with it.

If you are thinking about getting one, do it.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

The problem is still quite common and Apple doesn't have a clue about it. It's not serious in that it can be fixed temporarily, but we don't know why it happens, or if it is indicative of some hardware problem. I got mine in April and it has it (and AUO display, but that probably doesn't matter) - and I've seen several people in coffee shops here in NYC with it...plus the long thread on the apple forum. It is definitely not resolved.

4. dblissmn macrumors regular

Panel lotteries and hardware issues?

I have no trouble on mine, but I think having a perfect case and a perfectly aligned lid helps. My hinge is a bit overtight so I am careful opening and closing the lid.

This is actually a replacement for an original one where the case was warped and the hinge seemed almost as if it might be slightly twisted along its length; in any case right where the hinge was most misaligned, near the lower right side of the display, there was significant unevenness in the backlighting that led the "genius" to instantly call up a replacement from the stockroom. She didn't see it immediately but the moment I dragged a window across the spot she went "Ewww". That defective display did give a much milder version of the footlights effect on one brief occasion that very quickly went away. That one-offness is why I suspect it is a hardware issue.

For the record, both my original and my replacement are AUO (AU Optronics) matte displays. Part of the problem is that Apple is playing the panel lottery with no fewer than four different vendors. From what I've seen in the store, my current AUO matte and all the Samsung glossy displays are nicer than the LG units; I've not seen a Chimei and I'd put the AUO glossy in the middle. I'd like to see a Samsung matte some time if there is such a thing . . . .

Overall returns are very easy to deal with online in my experience. I think the online store is actually more likely to give the benefit of the doubt in the US at least than the retail stores and as for shipping they're quick and courteous and will provide package pickup without restocking fees on defective gear. It's important in my view to get it done right off the bat during the 14-day period at the start, partly because Apple have allowed their repair turnaround time to balloon in the last few years -- it's more like a week now rather than a day or two as it was.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You had a warped computer too? Apple told me they never seen it before :(

And my panel is a Samsung matte and it's perfect; it has no issues and very minimal backlight bleed (refer to HR thread on this forum for pics)

6. geekygoddess macrumors member

The issue is still there. But if it reassures you at all, they will most likely replace it for you if you get one that has a screen malfunction:)

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i had this problem.
    went to an authorized reseller.nice guy.overheard my conversation with the receptionist and said...is it under warranty?
    i said yes and he goes...replace it...ive replaced 6 this last month.its going to get worse.i took his card and said i will replace it soon as my exams are over.
    problem is...now that i know its a widespread problem,should i take up his offer and get the screen replaced?
    i mean otehr than this problem..my macbook pro is quite perfect....save for the screen bezel's metalic colour fading off....anyone else got this problem?the metalic color fading away revealing sort of like dark spots on the bezel?
    anyway...should i get my screen replaced?itd suck to get it relaced and then find out i got a dud screen...like dead pixels....or maybe a non-LED screen...-.-

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I had this happen once when switching from fullscreen to windowed mode in a game many times. When I restarted, there were no more issues.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

I think the best way to get apple to acknowledge that there is a problem is if people stop accepting flaws like this and start returning and returning until they get one that is ok. That will get Apple's attention more than anything else. When I took my MBP to the apple store just a few days ago, the genius said that he had never seen or heard about the problem. When I said that there are thousands of people online with the same issue, he just said that that is irrelevant to my particular case.....with that attitude, Apple will never deal with this issue.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

Just got a call from the apple store about my vertical stripes. they told me that there is nothing they can do yet as it's a software issue, but then offered a 'solution' which is to sleep it and wake it up again...duh. They said that the company is looking into it....not exactly confidence-inspiring given that there have been widespread complaints for months.

11. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Have you tried resetting the PRAM or the PMU?

12. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes - but it's impossible to tell if it made a difference given that the problem is intermittent and seemingly random. At least it didn't stop the problem from reoccurring. Maybe it helped for a short period though.

13. Phillyzero thread starter macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Should I try for a refurb? It seems (though it's completely not back up) that more of the Penryn MBPs are having this problem...though I know there's no guarantee I'd get a SR anyway..

14. geekygoddess macrumors member

Phillyzero, If this issue is really concerning to you, then, yes, I would go with a refurb. They are still not acknowledging that there is a problem with these screens. Like I said, they will replace it for you if there is a problem, the second machine I received is flawless:)

15. PDE macrumors 68020

Amazon might still be having a great deal on the SR MBPs 2.2ghz. Last week they still had them for $1500 after rebate - great deal. Now, unfortunately, amazon has been forced to charge tax so the deal is not as sweet.

16. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

buy a penryn....macbook pro replacement wont come until ages.im thinking next year.

17. jmingin macrumors member

same problem - first time!

I have the same computer and got the same problem for the first time today. It happened when I unplugged the power cord to use the computer in another room. Restarting the computer got rid of the the stripes. I will re-post if it does it again. The computer is a little more than 2 months old. :mad:

I am going to call AppleCare in the morning and get it on record and see what they say.