The Very First iPad Bug

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WiiDSmoker, Apr 5, 2010.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Guys, I believe I have discovered the very first iPad bug. It has to do with Cisco Authentication within Safari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRGARIG3tM

I have been on the phone all day with Apple engineers and they are currently at a loss on how to fix the problem.

Steps to do the bug:

Connect to a Wifi that uses Cisco Website Authentication
    Accept the Authentication and type in user name and password.
    Hit submit. Does nothing. Hit submit again and it freezes Safari completely.

I've repeated this process at least a dozen times today. Resetting does not work. Erasing network connections does not work.

The only solution to fix this bug is to do a complete restore. You are then able to log in using Cisco Website Authentication only once and then if you ever turn the iPad off, it will freeze again and again. I've restored 5 times today to repeat and confirm this process as well.

Apple engineers are currently looking in to this but as of this time there isn't a solution.

And before everyone jumps on me saying it is the network. It is absolutely not. I've tested the entire process on my iPhone, laptop, and a Droid. Every computer/phone that we tests it with works flawlessly, and only freezes on the iPad.

This could also somehow explain the other Wifi issues people are having.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does it even mean to be the "first" iPad bug? In any case this member beat you by two minutes.

3. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

4. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Great. You get a cookie for being first.

5. yyy macrumors regular

Why does it show the characters you enter to the password field before converting them into dots? Does it happen on every password field?

6. below sea level macrumors member

That happens on the iPhone, and I like it that way. It's good to see if you hit the wrong key when it actually happens.

7. chrisjburgess macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my work cisco guest network, just sits there after entering my password

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

9. yyy macrumors regular

Makes sense on the iPhone but on something with a screen that big I'd want to disable that.

10. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Wait, I thought the prize was an Apple?

11. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

OP is reporting an issue (or at least a potential issue) for the benefit of all of us. cut him some ***** slack?

12. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

This really sucks. My university uses Cisco Authentication for it's campus wide network. Have been on Easter break so I haven't been able to try it out yet. But will check it tomorrow.

13. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

That wasn't the point.

14. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I think it could just be an issue with the way your campus has their authentication setup.

My campus uses Cisco authorization as well, but their system is a bit odd. The PC users have to have some special plugin or something, whereas on my Macbook Pro and iPhone I just log in via a regular webpage in Safari

Mind you, I've seen the access style that you're seeing on your iPad, when logging into the Qwest network at my local McDonalds, it does it from the setting page, and not from Safari.

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

16. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

Hotmail bug

Can I get a gold star or a cookie I discovered this about 6pm Saturday evening lol?

Try composing a message in hotmail via safari and watch safari lockup.

Close & reopen safari and it's still locked up can't select a new page either.

Easy way to reset is load any other app that uses data service then after that load safari and it will work again. Also notice your email will be logged out.

Im sure it's already post here some where.

Thanks

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That bug has a fix.

Stop using Hotmail. Use Yahoo mail.;)

18. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Not sure where all this hating and attacking is coming from. I'm just merely trying to show the bug off. Some of you guys just need to calm down.

19. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Or better yet, use Gmail. It works wonderfully with the iPhone and iPad.

20. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

Fixed!

Sorry I was j/k I use hotmail for junk mail and don't want to setup another account.

I found info in another post just load the mobile version works great!

I know this doesn't fix your issue but I did fix mine. Also while at the mobile msn home screen click the safari + then add to home screen you will now have a Microsoft butterfly app link on your iPad desktop :D

21. blokey macrumors member

I am having this problem as well as my university requires a Cisco Clean Access login. PCs authenticate via standalone Cisco client while Macs authenticate via browser login.

I've never had any login problems on my iPod Touch (2g) via Safari but Safari locked up on my iPad in the same exact way described by the OP.

A fix really needs to be in order for this whether it is on Cisco's or Apple's end. Kind of pointless to bring my iPad to class when I can't spend time distracting myself on the internet instead of listening to the lecture ;).

22. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

For what it's worth, I've gotten through cisco web authentication on networks that just require that you "accept" (no username password) on my iPad.

23. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I can confirm now that logging into a username/password required cisco web portal crashes my iPad. I know the portal is using Vernier technology.

24. kwillers macrumors newbie

I'm using my iPad in the UK

I get exactly the same problem trying to use BT Openzone wifi hotspots which uses a similar authentication