The Volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by canuck79, Apr 20, 2017.

1. canuck79 macrumors newbie

canuck79

Dear all

I have a Late 2008 Macbook that 'died' a couple of days ago. I have managed to restart in disk utility and got the following message when trying to repair the disk

'The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely'

Through Disk Utility I am unable to reinstall the OS as it then says the disk is locked.

When switching on I get the apple logo and the status bar, but then it will switch off

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help recover the computer? The HDD was successfully changed 2 years ago and has been running fine since then.

Alternatively if I removed the drive and connected it to another mac via an enclosure could I recover the data? My time machine backup is far too old, after adding a number of photos etc. I could do with the Keychain, photo library itunes and documents.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

2. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom, but that sounds pretty bad. If it were me, I'd put it into an enclosure, plug it into a working machine, and try every recovery tool available on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Good luck!

3. canuck79 thread starter macrumors newbie

canuck79

Thanks for the honest assessment. I have an enclosure and can hook it up to another mac. Having never done this before, what would you suggest for pulling the data off?

For things like photos and the iTunes libraries what do I copy across? Where should I be going for things like keychain and other essentials.

4. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you can't copy Keychain. I haven't had to recover a disk in about 15 years, so I don't know what's best any more. Try just googling around for disk recovery tools and try them all. Usually they try to copy files over en mass - I'd try that first - get everything you can into a good disk. Then you can dig for files at your leisure.