The Volvo Ocean Race (Whitbread)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sydde, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Volvo Ocean Race (formerly Whitbread Classic)

Anyone follow this?

Some years ago, I encountered coverage on one of those sports channels of a sailboat race that looked kind of ordinary from the footage, but then I saw the scale of the thing. At the time, they were on a leg that was, as I recall, from Miami to Capetown in 21 meter single-mast boats with a crew of 11. Seemed just incredible at the time (still kind of breath-taking, really).

Yesterday, the boats for the current race left Auckland NZ on leg 5, just shy of 7000 miles across the wide Pacific, through Drake Passage (around Cape Horn) up to Itajai Argentina. In a way, it is kind of boring to follow, weeks of sailing, but really a feat for these guys.

2. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Yep, it's on our news and sport channels quite a lot. Of course we have an interest with our boat "Camper" (quite a freudian name)

From another happy camper.

KGB:rolleyes:

3. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I haven't followed them this year, but I did extensively during 2009 when they stopped in Stockholm on the way to STP.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

I dont follow the ocean race so much, but I do watch the americas cup. I prefer match and course racing to navigational, its more exciting.

5. iJohnHenry, May 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Loved watching this series in the 80's-90's. Brave people in the Southern Ocean.