The Wackness (Part 1)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaye10, Aug 22, 2014.

1. kaye10 macrumors newbie

i got the old 2008 or 2009 Macbook Pro 13 inches. i have a google tablet and my Note 3...i dont want to buy a new laptop...what do I need to make this old laptop blazing fast...how do I back up my music and important files so as not to lose when i upgrade? What Os X would i need. Please let me know exactly what to buy to get it on par to today's speed. Below is exactly the wackness of what I have and why it is slow..smh...:

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

2. JHUFrank, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

That's a very nice looking laptop actually. Slap in 8 or 16gigs of RAM and a Samsung 840 512 Gig SSD and you will have a really nice machine. My wife has a 2010 Macbook Pro and this is the treatment I gave her machine. She runs OS 10.94.
    Use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner for a backup/restore.

3. kaye10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Youre the man Frank! Hey so you think it would be blazing fast like that? Usually i will go pay someone to help reinstall but if I can do it myself, unless you do not recommend i do, what are the steps i should take exactly to make this machine run better than Frankeinstein aka my current state.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's easy to replace RAM and the hard drive yourself.

With an SSD your Mac will boot in just 15 seconds, or around that.

5. kaye10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any exact kind of Samsung 840 512 Gig SSD ? saw prices and there ere different kids...so for the rAM, i just unscrew back of Macbook Pro and add 16 more Gigs of memory, where do I put the ssd slot? As far as Os 10.94, I would have to buy or do you know any torrents that i can get from? remember i have the O 10.5.8. The old one...i may have to run 10.6 first or no? Sorry man, I'm a Mugsy Bogues to your Michael Jordan in this venue.

6. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

you should first download mavericks and create a bootable USB

the SSD will replace the hard drive in your macbook
    and the RAM is easy enough to change

ifixit.com has several tutorials on how to do this step by step.

Once the hardware is installed, use your mavericks USB to boot up and do a fresh install of the system.

7. kaye10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Genius u are...thx...it will take some time but i will follow your steps... i got an old ipod 30G, a Creative Zen player...any magic i can perform with those or they are useless?

what about old laptops i have...i can do the same thing with my macbook pro or the windows has a different style? That is my last question of the day chief.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your Mac doesn't support 16GB of RAM. The max you can go is 8GB.

Since your Mac only supports SATA2, an 840 Evo will do you fine.

9. kaye10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yjchua thx...so 8g with the Evo should be blazing fast enough? Do i still need to upgrade my old oS 10.5.8 straight to Maverick 10.94?

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

It generally helps performance to go with the latest OS.

11. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

your laptop only has space for one, either SSD or hard drive. When you replace your HD with the SSD, you will not have an operating system to upgrade to unless you use your old installation disks, the grey disks that came with the macbook.

many tutorials on the web on creating a 'bootable mavericks usb'

as for the zen and the iPod they are pretty old, there are flash drives bigger than the iPod and the zen is really sad, resolution and performance wise. haha, i still have a zen in the drawer somewhere.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

For the sake of security, you should be running the latest OS.