Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Right... there's an official "waiting for Montevina," but I'm willing to bet that some people are skipping Montevina + Penryn and waiting for Montevina+Nehalem. Me personally, I have a laptop that can last until either upgrade, but I'm just waiting first. If I think Montevina+Penryn is a substantial upgrade, then I will. But if not, I'll wait for Montevina+nehalem. But, I'm also waiting for a case redesign. So whichever one comes first on that, I'll take. Right now, 2.6GHz and 4GB RAM ought to last me.

Now, the other thing is, it seems through a popular consensus that people are actually considering either the Montevina+Penryn upgrade, or the Montevina+Nehalem upgrade would be the staging ground for the new case redesign, after 5 years(I still have my old PowerBook G4 sitting in the corner of my room as a memory of that). Now, opinions?

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Right... there's an official "waiting for Montevina," but I'm willing to bet that some people are skipping Montevina + Penryn and waiting for Montevina+Nehalem. Me personally, I have a laptop that can last until either upgrade, but I'm just waiting first. If I think Montevina+Penryn is a substantial upgrade, then I will. But if not, I'll wait for Montevina+nehalem. But, I'm also waiting for a case redesign. So whichever one comes first on that, I'll take. Right now, 2.6GHz and 4GB RAM ought to last me.

Well Im waiting for my 15" 2.5ghz Penryn to get here, but Ill probably sell it and get Nehalem when it will come out sometime 2009.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY

Oh, can we not? :( You' think the whinefests could hold off for two friggin' weeks... :rolleyes:

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
i am just waiting for a case redesign. Whether it comes With montevina/penryn, or nehalem/penyn, I dont care.

oh, and also an updated GPU

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
These days? Whinefests on the next thing coming have been around forever and will continue to be. If the threads annoy you that much, don't comment in them.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
It's not really only a "waiting for nehalem" thread, in my opinion. The reason that I started this thread, is that I believe from past consensuses, either the Montevina+Penryn, or Montevina+Nehalem versions of the MBP will be the staging ground for the case redesign(long needed). Maybe I should rename it to the Nehalem/redesign thread.

So what do you all think? I'm thinking that either Nehalem or Montevina will bring about a case update, but a gut feeling(don't trust me on this, my gut feelings have never proved to be either wrong nor right) says that it's gonna be Nehalem. If it's Montevina, I'll get Rev. A of the new case, meaning the Nehalem. If it's nehalem, I'll get it instantly. Either way, I'm getting Nehalem :D Any one of you waiting for the redesign, or nehalem in specific?

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Guys, in case any of you need clarification, here is a good guide I found. looks like evidence points to only Montevina, or a stronger pointing to Nehalem for a case redesign. Seems like Nehalem it is for me... Hmmm... But I need a new battery methinks... My battery started only giving me 3 hours as of today... Normal charging routines... nothing changed... but it just did...

The guide:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/446019/

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I decided over the weekend that I'll be waiting for Nehalem. My 2.16 C2D MBP will be ~2 yrs old when Nehalem is due (got it in March '07). I am hoping for a case re-design, but it won't be a dal breaker....I'd love to have a magnetic latch at least.

Skyldig

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Guys, in case any of you need clarification, here is a good guide I found. looks like evidence points to only Montevina, or a stronger pointing to Nehalem for a case redesign. Seems like Nehalem it is for me... Hmmm... But I need a new battery methinks... My battery started only giving me 3 hours as of today... Normal charging routines... nothing changed... but it just did...

Ehh?!? A guide you say?

Solid Bacon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
I want a redesign and hope it comes with the Montevina update...

Yeah it will be Rev A, but the MacBook and MacBook Air seemed to have faired pretty well so far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.