The Waiting Game: Eat or be eaten.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NiroNavro, Sep 16, 2008.

?

What do you think? Please provide detailed input along with your vote. Thank you!

  1. I think you should buy the Refurbished 24" 3.06GHz iMac.

    59.1%
  2. I think you should wait until October 14th or just before.

    22.7%
  3. I think you should wait even longer...past October.

    18.2%
  1. NiroNavro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #1
    I promise that this will be my final thread on this issue so bear with me.

    Here's the deal:

    I finally have enough money this week to purchase the Refurbished 24" 3.06GHz iMac. This item costs $1899 plus tax so it comes to about $2012 for me. I will purchase it this week unless someone can give me any reason to do otherwise.

    The only reason I can come up with to wait is because October 14th (the rumored date for Macbook updates) might hold some kind of update for the iMacs. I could wait so that I'm within the 14 days before October 14th, just in case, you know?

    Any ideas? Should I just buy now? Is there any possibility of prices going lower when the (rumored) Macbook prices are lowered? Would Apple lower the prices of their desktops along with their laptops or just lower the pirces of their laptops?

    Any input is much appreciated.
     
  2. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    #2
    Nobody here knows whether you should wait or not (although I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions). Having saved enough money is not a good reason to buy a computer. Buy a computer when you actually need it to do something. Then you won't kick yourself for not waiting when something better comes out. And let's face it, Apple's entire computer lineup is looking pretty out of date at the moment.
     
  3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
  4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #4
    What do you need it for? You could just get it, unless you'll totally freak out when they eventually do update them......

    My vote: get it.
     
  5. NiroNavro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #5
    Well, see, I've been saving money since the iMac update in April/May and I've wanted one even longer. I can live without it, I've been doing just that for four months, but this is a big deal because it's my first personal computer purchase. It's the thought of having a computer that I can call my own. A computer that I can have for the future when I leave my parent's house. I don't need it right now I just want it. There are probably better, more efficient things that I could do with my money, being a poor college student and all, but I'm leaning more towards being irrational and reckless with my money.
     
  6. NiroNavro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #6
    I need/want it for basic stuff. I know that I want the 24" screen but I suppose I probably don't need those high of specs. I figured that they would be better as "future preparation" than the, let's say, 24" 2.4GHz processor with lower specs. I probably don't need the fast processor, the high end graphics card, or even the 500GB of storage but, again, I thought they would help to better "prepare" me for the future. I only use the internet, word processing, itunes, and the occasional video or photo software. That's it really. In those respects I'd be fine with the 2.4GHz or 2.8GHz processors and, if I went with those, I'd save money. All I'm for definite on is that kick ass screen.
     
  7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #7
    Might as well do it then!:) Unless, like I said before, you just have to have the latest greatest...
     
  8. NiroNavro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #8
    Technically the 24" 3.06GHz iMac is the latest and greatest. Unless you were saying that I should go with one of the slower processors. I guess maybe the question here isn't whether I should wait or not. Maybe the real question is:

    "Is the 3.06GHz iMac right for me?"



    EDIT: Damn...I wish I knew how to get rid of that poll.
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    Curious ... if you truly believe there is a 10/14 event (which I think is highly possible myself) then why would you ask if you should wait until just before 10/14? I mean, it's buy now, a month before the supposed event or buy after 10/14. There really shouldn't be any other option with the exception of option 3 ... you should wait until Jan 2009 and then it'll be clear to everyone that you do not need a computer anyway. /shrug.

    I say if you need it today the iMac is large enough and has enough processing power to suit many needs. If you can wait until 10/14 then you may get a speed boost, but nothing more imho. The laptops are where it seems to all be at. The iMac already did the case redesign and therefore short of them doing something kooky like adding a color option, I cannot see how anyone would think there'd be much more coming. At best, a Mac Mini refresh is in order, but again I'm thinking 10/14 is laptop central and January is desktop.
     
  10. muldul macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Location:
    West Sussex, England, UK
    #10
    Wait till January, and see what's around. If it's nothing big then get it.
     
  11. NiroNavro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #11
    I said "just before" because if I'm within two weeks of an update or change then I am still in the 14 day price guarantee/return/exchange window.
     
  12. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    #12
    Oh well, in that case, go crazy. Or wait until Christmas if you can, then you'll have a nice present for yourself, is that enough motivation to wait? They'll probably be updated by then. Or maybe they'll have them at macworld (jan 5-9) and if you wait until dec 26 or 27th to buy yourself that christmas present, it'll still be just under the 14 day thing.
     
  13. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

    Woodcrest64

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #13
    I say wait until Jan/Feb 2009 to see what comes out. I'm thinking Apple is planning on releasing Quad Core iMacs along with 8GB of Memory as an option. That's what I'm waiting for :)
     
  14. Duke Mac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2006
    Location:
    Kansas, USA
    #14
    I too say wait a little longer and see what happens. That's
    what I am doing. My Powermac G5 is still getting it done for me.
     

Share This Page