The waiting game

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TV21, Jun 11, 2007.

1. TV21 macrumors newbie

I have been caught in the "waiting game" for about 6 months now. I'm getting by with a G4 867 Mhz desktop but I can tell that things could be faster, especially with Adobe Bridge and Photoshop CS2.

I want to get a MacPro. Ideally a 2.66, but maybe 3.0

I waited to Macworld. Nothing. I waited through spring. Nothing. I waited to WWDC. Astonishingly, nothing. Oh, there was the octo inclusion, but as I don't need that, the prices and configs really have not changed in almost a year. After waiting (6 years almost) to get a new desktop, I really want to be sure its not going to get superseded too soon. The current systems are unchanged in every way since last year.

I keep teetering on "just do it" vs "wait....wait...".

OK, here's my questions:

1. Intel price drops for Xeon chips are due July 22nd. Does Apple have a history of pushing the price cuts down, and if so how long does it take?

2. I keep reading about "Stoakley-Seaburg" (SS) as a "new" architecture. Is this *that* much better than the current architecture?

3. Looks like SS is due out some time from July 2007. As the Santa Rosa architecture update seemed to trigger MB and MBP updates, does anyone know the time lag between "release" of Santa Rosa architecture and Apple's update? Presumably similar lag could be applied to SS.

I know this is a bit of a long post, but I'd like to hear from others who (hopefully) know more about this than I.

I'm sure October will see *some* sort of MP update, but I really can't believe that a 14 month lag between refreshes is reasonable.

thanks

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Santa Rosa (along with the slightly faster Core 2 Duos) came out on May the 9th. Apple updated the MBPs about a week ago on Tuesday, June 5th. If I were you, I would buy now. If you have wanted the computer since before MacWorld, you have waited enough.

It is not like the computer is slow or anything, it is wicked fast. Don't worry about the next generation, there hasn't been a whole lot of hype about it so it can't be that great. Just buy a Mac Pro now, and enjoy your new computer :)