The Watch's Oximeter

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by amirite, Jun 2, 2015.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

What do you think the reasoning is behind the oximeter not being used? Lack of FDA approval? Could a simple software update enable it?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, Yes?

3. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Yep there was an article saying they included the sensor so just need to turn it on. I thought that was really cool for Apple to do. They could have just put that in the next version and used it to push people to upgrade and saved money not putting it in this version. I really appreciated that because they really didn't have to.

4. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I don't know how this pulse oximeter works... Google's servers are down right now, but I hope this makes calorie data even more accurate and perhaps allows for more detailed health tracking.

5. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

People were going nuts with the watch initially with slightly inaccurate hr (and now watch taking hr inconsistently). See the problem if they enabled the oximetry reading?

You wonder how they lived prior owning smart devices.

I had one guy come to ER the other night because he's panicking his hr was up to a 100 and continues to increase to 108-110 as he was staring at his hr on his aw. He reports his hr usually was in the 60s at rest but he was watching GOT and tells me the story of course (I cut him before he spoils anything. ) his hr at the time was 70-80s. He then told me he had to run 2 blocks to get to ER to get checked. Yeah...

I demanded him to surrender the watch. Proceed to an exam room to wait to get checked. I then sent the cutest most charming nurse to offer him water and chat him a bit. After 5 mins his hr were in the high 80s low 90s. The cute nurse was a bad idea. He needed the motherly soothing nurse .

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think Apple had all the intentions to use it and saving us money was far from their plan. If they can use it in the future, that is the question.

7. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Not including a sensor wouldn't save us money it would save them money. The cost of the sensor.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Like I said Apple had all the intentions of using this sensor until something went wrong. AT that point it was too late to remove the sensor. Maybe they will fire it up in the future.

9. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I always love calls like these. It's why at time I'm glad they didn't include more sensors. Number of 911 calls probably would have shot through the roof. Still have lots of people calling because their $10 walmart b/p machine shows a slightly increased B/P after doing something strenuous.

Also probably same cost for the sensor with or without spo2. If you can even get them without.

10. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

This has confused me for a little bit now. Why would I even care about having an oximeter? I get why some people, with certain health conditions, would want one, but why does everyone need one? Does it somehow make calorie calculations more accurate?

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

Maybe they will let third party app developers access it once the native SDK is released. That could be a way to skirt the FDA requirements. Apple just offers the hardware and third parties take the responsibility for using it.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As an athlete it would be nice to see the numbers to help identify when nearing VO2 Max. This way you can push a run (or other aerobic activity) to the limit without passing your lactic threshold.

13. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

I have a feeling that some day soon Tim Cook might announce version 2.0 of the Watch and say that original Watch owners already have it and they can upgrade to it that same day :)

14. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh now that'd be a sweet move.

15. SR22pilot macrumors member

If you fly an unpressurized plane, measuring SPO2 is nice when you are above 10K' to make sure you aren't getting hypoxic. I have an SPO2 unit that goes over my finger. The AW would be much more convenient compared to consciously putting the unit on my finger to take a reading. The ability to take readings on a schedule and give an alarm if below a threshold would be awesome.

16. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

I've a feeling that would be just the sort of scenario to make the legal team go over the release sanction again :D