The way apple should have sold the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ttexxan, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ttexxan macrumors regular

I think apple should have sold the main part of the watch by itself and bands separate in stores. That way I could pick out the stainless version or the alum version and pick the separate bands. It would be more like buying an Ipod instead of this custom time piece.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

We've been over this a million times. It does not solve any problems and actually creates more.

Our working assumption is that the bands are the hold-up in supply. Given that, how stupid would it be to receive a watch with no band and then have to wait? What kind of experience is that out of the box? Also, do you really want to feel like you're getting nickel-and-dimed having to buy even the first band separately?

Not a good idea at all.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

We've had several threads on this already. Apple is selling the watch with the bands precisely because it does NOT want this to be seen as a "techie" device. Watches are sold with bands. You can buy bands separately, but try going into a jeweler or department store and buying a watch body separately. You just can't do it.

Also, it doesn't solve the problem of there not being sufficient supply. It potentially skews sales toward the bands that are available vs. the bands that people really want.

4. dm2887 macrumors newbie

What about potentially selling the watch with a basic plastic/rubber band, and then separately selling the fancier bands?

That splits the difference in techie vs. fashionista, but also avoids some of the delays in band styling.

Also it's similar to Fitbit, where the basic band comes with it, but I got a Tory Burch bracelet for it for my GF's.

5. ttexxan thread starter macrumors regular

Good points.....Sad to see they started off this way. I received two out of three watches ordered for my family, but sad it could have rolled out a lot smoother. Still confused how Apple can release a product without the supply in hand. It seems to be random as well. I received my SS Milanese band along with White SS sport but my daughters pink band sport edition not processed yet. All ordered at the exact same time. We also order a black sports band along with green sports band as accessories and those have not processed yet. My brother order the link SS watch and not shipping till late May.