The Weather app worked without the iPhone!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Today, I forgot to carry my iPhone, but the Weather app was still updating the temperature! Maybe the Weather can still work since I have AW2 with GPS? What other apps work when not Bluetoothed to the iPhone, besides the running/workout apps?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You were probably connecting to a know WiFi. GPS is only a passive system and doesn't contain any information other than timming from multiple satellites that is used to calculate location by triangulation.

3. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

I was in a friend's house without my iPhone, but I only have his WiFi setup on my laptop. But then I believe through iCloud Keychain I think his WiFi password is set to all my devices. So even the AW can connect to a WiFi network on its own, with no need for "mother" iPhone?

4. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Yep, the watch will have previously received the friend's WiFi credentials from your phone, which got it from your Mac (via iCloud Keychain), and if the watch can't find its paired phone, but can find a known wired network, then it'll connect to that (at least periodically).

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, as long as the WiFi is know to your iPhone your :apple:Watch will connect. You can see this by the Cloud symbol in Control Center.

[​IMG]

6. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

When you open the weather app it shows the temperature development throughout the day. If your iPhone loses connection the Watch already knows what the development looked like when last connected. So I just think it's updating to the time slot it already knew

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don't think this is a case. I had tested this exact situation but the Weather on the watch refused to show result when disconnect from network. If you have multiple cities in Weather you can test this yourself. It wont show when there is a red disconnection icon but will do when there is a green cloud one.