Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Weather Company is introducing a major update for its The Weather Channel iPhone app today, introducing a new visual design, longer-range weather forecasts, user-tailored weather updates, and support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus.

When opening The Weather Channel app, users will be greeted with a personalized dynamic home screen that offers up custom weather information that's based on user location. It includes current weather conditions and information that changes based on time of day, weather severity, and changing local weather conditions. For example, if rain is predicted later in the day, a user might get a rain alert, or during a storm, a severe weather alert might be visible on the home screen.

twchomescreen-800x705.jpg

A completely new visual aesthetic is the chief change in The Weather Channel app, with a design that's cleaner and more informative. Gone is the circle-shaped weather listing in the middle of the app, which has been replaced with a full screen image on the home screen overlaid with relevant weather information.

Drilling down into the app will show an easy-to-read list of more detailed weather information, like wind speed, humidity, pressure, and more, along with a new 15-day forecast, which is a full five days longer than the previous 10-day forecast. As with the current app, the new app includes information on local health alerts, pollen levels, airport conditions, weather news, and beach conditions.

twc15dayforecast-800x706.jpg

It continues to offer Weather Channel news updates, breaking news on weather, local maps, interactive radar maps for rain and snow information, hurricane reports, relevant weather-related notifications, and social weather reports that aggregate weather reports from social networks. New to the app is The Lift, an Al Roker-hosted mobile-only morning show that combines weather-related news, nature stories, viral videos, and more.

twchealthalerts-800x706.jpg

iPhone users with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus can use 3D Touch on the app's icon on the Home screen to enter one of four user-customized screens that include radar, saved locations, current location, search, or tools for sharing the weather.

For those who don't want to see ads within The Weather Channel app, there's a new $3.99 in-app purchase option that will remove all ads for one year. The $3.99 fee must be renewed each year to keep ads from being displayed.

The Weather Channel for iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'The Weather Channel' App for iPhone Gains Revamped Design, 3D Touch Support

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I'm not really a fan of the new look. Instead of having the information at your fingertips, now it is spread all over the place. For me, the last two updates have made it worse instead of better, I was hoping this repaired it, but no.

I've been preferring the Storm app (Weather Underground) more now.

edit: I do like the force touch on the new version

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009

The Weather Company is introducing a major update for its The Weather Channel iPhone app today, introducing a new visual design, longer-range weather forecasts, user-tailored weather updates, and support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus.

When opening The Weather Channel app, users will be greeted with a personalized dynamic home screen that offers up custom weather information that's based on user location. It includes current weather conditions and information that changes based on time of day, weather severity, and changing local weather conditions. For example, if rain is predicted later in the day, a user might get a rain alert, or during a storm, a severe weather alert might be visible on the home screen.

twchomescreen-800x705.jpg

A completely new visual aesthetic is the chief change in The Weather Channel app, with a design that's cleaner and more informative. Gone is the circle-shaped weather listing in the middle of the app, which has been replaced with a full screen image on the home screen overlaid with relevant weather information.

Drilling down into the app will show an easy-to-read list of more detailed weather information, like wind speed, humidity, pressure, and more, along with a new 15-day forecast, which is a full five days longer than the previous 10-day forecast. As with the current app, the new app includes information on local health alerts, pollen levels, airport conditions, weather news, and beach conditions.

twc15dayforecast-800x706.jpg

It continues to offer Weather Channel news updates, breaking news on weather, local maps, interactive radar maps for rain and snow information, hurricane reports, relevant weather-related notifications, and social weather reports that aggregate weather reports from social networks. New to the app is The Lift, an Al Roker-hosted mobile-only morning show that combines weather-related news, nature stories, viral videos, and more.

twchealthalerts-800x706.jpg

iPhone users with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus can use 3D Touch on the app's icon on the Home screen to enter one of four user-customized screens that include radar, saved locations, current location, search, or tools for sharing the weather.

For those who don't want to see ads within The Weather Channel app, there's a new $3.99 in-app purchase option that will remove all ads for one year. The $3.99 fee must be renewed each year to keep ads from being displayed.

The Weather Channel for iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'The Weather Channel' App for iPhone Gains Revamped Design, 3D Touch Support
This is completel horse ****. $3.99? What about people who paid for the weather channel Max? This is how we are rewarded?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Loving my minute by minute forecast in Dark Sky.

Also, who is responsible for this app now that IBM has bought The Weather Company?

Reactions: nepalisherpa

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
3.99 every yr?
No thanks, I'll keep my current version which is ad free forever.

This is another reason while I DON'T let apps auto update.

Reactions: taxiapple

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
The Weather Channel (app and website) are full of crap ads. Just get Dark Sky or another ad-free app and enjoy not having to stare at Belly Fat ads.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Missing from screenshots: ads

It says in the article that the ads won't be there if you subscribe, and no app company ever shows the ads in their screenshots.

3.99 every yr?

Different use cases. This app uses actual paid weather broadcasters, so the subscription is understandable. It's not for everyone, obviously.

Loving my minute by minute forecast in Dark Sky.

Also, who is responsible for this app now that IBM has bought The Weather Company?

I think IBM would be moving forward.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Oh man. TWC can't get anything right. Everything they touch is a train wreck. Always too many clicks, irrelevant content, and soooooo many ads. They're trying to be CNN / Buzzfeed.

It's like Mitch Hedberg said...just be a turkey. It's cool. You've got your own thing going.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't say this often about Yahoo!, but the "Yahoo! Weather!" app is the best free weather app. For a couple of bucks, Dark Sky is also a great at-a-glace weather app.

Really I wish someone would make a good weather.gov app. It is for sure the best weather source. The problem with for-profit weather prediction is that there is an incentive to make sensational headlines and predictions. The crazier the prediction, the more clicks and revenue. There is very little incentive to be accurate in the prediction. On the flip side, NOAA and NWS receive federal funding and their data is used to plan all sorts of government activity, from military to your local state road service. They have a good incentive to be as accurate as possible, and really don't care how many clicks they get. I trust them more because of this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't say this often about Yahoo!, but the "Yahoo! Weather!" app is the best free weather app. For a couple of bucks, Dark Sky is also a great at-a-glace weather app.

Really I wish someone would make a good weather.gov app. It is for sure the best weather source. The problem with for-profit weather prediction is that there is an incentive to make sensational headlines and predictions. The crazier the prediction, the more clicks and revenue. There is very little incentive to be accurate in the prediction. On the flip side, NOAA and NWS receive federal funding and their data is used to plan all sorts of government activity, from military to your local state road service. They have a good incentive to be as accurate as possible, and really don't care how many clicks they get. I trust them more because of this.
Weather Underground is pretty good and can be set to use NWS data too. (That said, it's technically also owned by The Weather Channel.)

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
How about allowing your Watch complication to display the temperature instead of the rain forecast if a user so chooses

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I haven't used TWC app since I discovered Dark Sky. The new update looks good, but if I used the TWC Max app, I'd be a bit irritated that those users don't get the same update.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Ditched everything when I found Dark Sky over a year ago. Love it! Never seen anything like it yet.

modemthug

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
This is completel horse ****. $3.99? What about people who paid for the weather channel Max? This is how we are rewarded?

You act like this is a war crime, calm down.

This is much better than the old PC days where applications were $30-50 that you either didn't get updates for or had to pay for each update. The only difference is you've gotten conditioned to getting a lot for next to nothing. You're pretty entitled to think that you should be "rewarded" in perpetuity for parting with $3.99.

If you're really that upset that you don't get something forever for $3.99, perhaps you should switch to Android with all of the other cheapskates who want something for nothing.

Look, there's no guarantee that a paid app will continue to be updated forever. I have had dozens of apps that I paid for that have been abandoned. I don't kick and scream about it, it just is what it is.

Frankly, I really don't think you should own a $1,000 phone if $3.99 drives you to curse in the forums.

Developers drive the best app ecosystem on earth, backend services drive the best app ecosystem on earth. Developers should be compensated.

The "I should be rewarded for everything I do" mentally is appalling.

Reactions: hagar

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
3.99 every yr?

It's the ad-free version.

Does the Yahoo mobile weather app provide temperatures in Sunnyvale, CA, like it or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.