The Weight of LTE Versus WiFi - Consideration for Some?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powerbook911, Mar 21, 2012.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I got a Wi-Fi model on launch day, but my LTE model came last night. I am not certain yet which to keep and which goes to family.

One thing that immediately struck me was the weight of the 64GB LTE compared to the 32GB WiFi.

No, I would not recommend anyone make a decision based on weight.

Nevertheless, after using the WiFi model for a few days, I must say, you DO notice the difference. The LTE in particular feels more top heavy, which can make it feel a bit odd while reading.

I suppose someone extremely weak or elderly MIGHT benefit from the lighter Wi-Fi model?

I believe you notice it so much because of the top heavy feel it (LTE) gives to it.

2. iCarabma macrumors 6502

no.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think it's mostly in your head, to be honest.

We're talking about a 10g difference.

4. iPhonemaster5S, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

The 4G model is only slightly heavier I couldn't feel it at all take a look at this,
    Wi-Fi
    Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
    Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
    Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
    Weight: 1.44 pounds (652 g)
    Wi-Fi + 4G
    Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
    Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
    Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
    Weight: 1.46 pounds (662 g)
    Thats directly from apple's website.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It is. Because he claims it's top heavy yet the LTE radio is in the bottom left.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Clip your fingernails and you'l see the weight difference as then the same.

7. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You can really feel it in the top of the unit. Maybe the plastic instead of metal at the top?

The unit also feels more solid/rigid. It seems like it would hurt more if you were hit with the LTE model. ha.

I can truly notice it.

It's hard to believe being 10g. I can't explain it, but side by side on a table, I'd be able to pick them up and distinguish immediately.

I apologize for asking this then. I think a weak elderly person might find the WiFi easier for reading.

8. sfilingeri macrumors member

sfilingeri

Maybe you need to put down the iPad and go get some exercise

9. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I was actually wondering about the same thing as I preordered and haven't seen the wifi only. My elderly mother might want the lightest one as she is an avid reader, so....I appreciate the thread, seeing the actual numbers etc.

10. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

If this elderly person can bear the 652g of the Wifi iPad, I assume they could suffer to hold 10 extra grams. I mean, 10g is only the weight of two nickels.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't know... I'm not exactly Mr. BicepsForearm 2012 and the extra weight doesn't really bother me. I suspect Apple is looking for a less power hungry screen as I type, maybe even before I typed, to get weight to, or below the iPad 2 spec. In the meantime I'll enjoy my LTE iPad.

FWIW my 70-something mom has been using her original iPad since Day One and that one is heavier than any of the new iPads. She usually either places it on the bed or in a case that makes an easel. So weight is almost a non-factor for her.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It's still 20-30g lighter than the OG iPad, so I'll take it.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

10 grams equal the approximate weight of 10 small standard paperclips. I can not imagine being able to tell the difference. I am still glad I got the LTE even though I will only use it a few times a year. Just those few time makes it work the extra cost and and additional weight.

14. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I'm just saying I'm glad to know that there is basically no difference. :rolleyes:

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

16. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Clearly he is feeling the weight of the extra 32 gig of RAM. :D

17. tanboom macrumors member

are you serious? :confused:

18. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I just did a test where I had friend swap them around I can pick one up, one at a time with eyes shut.

5/5 I got it right.

I then had friend do it. He got it right 5/5.

I really apologize for asking something so dumb, but the difference is noticeable. It's the top end of the iPad, it feels top heavy. I guess the sim is up there too.

I know it doesn't make sense, but you really feel it, when holding it in a reading position.

I don't see how the RAM could be any heavier, I know that was a joke, but who knows.

Maybe the Verizon is even a bit heavier for having more bands than ATT?

I know it's crazy, but it was just strikingly obvious. You can feel the difference easily. I apologize, but I noticed it immediately. Perhaps there are some tolerance differences, and this LTE one was just heavier and unrelated to LTE.

19. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

u so funny :)