Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
840quadra said:
Sorry my choice of browser chaps peoples hides

Mine's not chapped ;)

Funny, CSS was meant to make websites cleaner (code and design) and faster to load :rolleyes:

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Thanks for the advice on software and browsers folks. I will use both to make my classic computing more enjoyable :).

I am now on the Performa 6320 working further on what I started last night with the Quadra, and 8500. I am archiving all of my classic software onto my B&W G3 (now a G4 500).

My intent is to move all software that is either network aware, or network ready to that box. I forgot that this era performa had the strange sounding boot chime, it's cool but scared the hell out of me because the volume ws set so high, and I was expecting either the Quadra, or newer powermac chime!

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
macg4 said:
the one i gave ya? :)

I used the screen from yours and put in on a 1400cs I got from Im_to_hyper that had a cracked screen :) btw, macg4 you forgot to include the floppy drive:D

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Speaking of cracked screens, and notebook computers.

What's the oldest Powerbook (or other notebook) that one can buy, that supports 802.11, and can run System 7 or 8 and browse the internet without too much pain ?

I am looking to get an old PB to "show up" at a coffee shop, with a Retro mac, and actually have one that I do some work on. Also, I would like to finally have a classic notebook. I can't get myself to buy a Lombard or Pismo just yet, I want something older.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
840quadra said:
What's the oldest Powerbook (or other notebook) that one can buy, that supports 802.11, and can run System 7 or 8 and browse the internet without too much pain ?

The PowerBook 520 with a PCMCIA cage will support 802.11b.

For painless browsing, you'd need a PowerPC.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
dpaanlka said:
The PowerBook 520 with a PCMCIA cage will support 802.11b.

For painless browsing, you'd need a PowerPC.

yeah, but I wouldn't get a PB 5300c for internet.. although its a PowerPC, its slow due to the lack of l2 cashe...:D

so I guess a decent PB for internet would be a 1400c.. I used to have a 1400c with a 12gb hard drive, 48mb ram, and a wifi card that worked quite well:)

fatmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Seattle
I just fired up my 512k and Plus to be sure they were still working. They do. I just can't do anyting till I get the keyboard and mouse.:D

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
My 8500/120 in sig is used to capture my 8mm video. I am digitizing my video collection and it works fine, slow, but never crashes. I then send the clips to my B/W G3/300 to complete the process. Just wish I had a larger monitor for the 8500, using an old Performa 14" that is slowly dying, the screen real estate is shrinking and the color is washed out. I have another 8500/120 without any HDs in it, and not much RAM. Not sure what to use that one for, but will find some use for it.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Dane D. said:
I have another 8500/120 without any HDs in it, and not much RAM. Not sure what to use that one for, but will find some use for it.

You could send it to me since I really am trying to find a nice condition 8500. In fact, you can keep your RAM and even the processor! :D

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
I've been doing what I've been trying to do for days, get wireless drivers installed on a PB 1400. THe instructions are generally good, but no word on how to move them from an OSX, Linux, or Windows box onto the machine. (I tried burning them on a CD, no luck).

Last night I tried moving by making a "hybrid" and "HFS only" CD using MacImage/Nero, no luck (still getting "no chcksum error").

Oh well, I'll have to just keep hacking away at it.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
In OS X, use Disk Utility to create a small read/write disk image a big bigger than the size of the files you want to move. Then mount the image, and in Disk Utility erase it as a Macintosh OS Standard disk. Then put your files on it, and finally use Disk Utility to burn the image to CD.

No third-party software required.

Many PowerBook 1400s have trouble reading burned CDs though. Only the 12x drives work normally. But still try it anyway, sometimes the slower 6x or 8x drives in the 1400 will read burned CDs of certain build quality. It's a hit or miss.

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
dpaanlka said:
In OS X, use Disk Utility to create a small read/write disk image a big bigger than the size of the files you want to move. Then mount the image, and in Disk Utility erase it as a Macintosh OS Standard disk. Then put your files on it, and finally use Disk Utility to burn the image to CD.

No third-party software required.

Many PowerBook 1400s have trouble reading burned CDs though. Only the 12x drives work normally. But still try it anyway, sometimes the slower 6x or 8x drives in the 1400 will read burned CDs of certain build quality. It's a hit or miss.

Thanks. It reads CDs fine. Is there a way to do it on PC or Linux? I can do it on OSX if that's the only way, but I would have to borrow my sister's G4 powerbook, and she's never happy when I grab for my "crazy hacking" purposes.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Dane D. said:
My 8500/120 in sig is used to capture my 8mm video. I am digitizing my video collection and it works fine, slow, but never crashes. I then send the clips to my B/W G3/300 to complete the process. Just wish I had a larger monitor for the 8500, using an old Performa 14" that is slowly dying, the screen real estate is shrinking and the color is washed out. I have another 8500/120 without any HDs in it, and not much RAM. Not sure what to use that one for, but will find some use for it.

What are you capturing the video to?

I have a VHS Setup connected to my 8500 (g3 400), but the internal Disks are too slow currently. I am debating about buying (or finding) an 18gb 50 pin SCSI drive to do it with, but I would much prefer to capture them over the network, or buy a PCI IDE setup for this computer.

Also what software are you using?

I have Strata Video shop, Fusion Recorder, and the built in Apple Video player.

Aren't these systems fun! :)

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
At work, I use a 233MHz beige G3 Power Mac. A glorious 96Mb of RAM. 1280x1024 screen resolution. I use a custom program for something or other and QuarkXPress. OS8.5.1

Today I tried to get MSN or Yahoo Messenger to install and run, but no joy. Looks like I would need to upgrade to 8.6 for MacMessenger to work properly and I expect there is a good reason why these machines do not already have that free upgrade installed...

I am writing this message on this machine right now, in IE5.1. Which isn't such a bad "classic" browser, really. I used iCab for a while, but it was terribly slow on some sites and crashed a lot.

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can still hear the screams.

From where I sit, I can see a lot of G4 Power Macs - Quicksilvers and MDDs - running OS X, 10.2.8. I don't get to use those though, since I am just a glorified spell checker.

Sniffle.

Next week, I am going to bring in some cleaning solution and cotton buds. This keyboard is getting blitzed.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
useing my G3 Rev. A 233 MHz iMac tto post this right now (The reson I use my old 98 windows box over this one... well, it's faster, has more space, and more software availible. I use this one when I don't mind waiting 2 minutes for mac rumors to come up:D )

and I dug out the ol Mac Classic.. just to find that a floppy disk was jamed in it! turns out the disk had some tape in it, and I forgot to take the tape off before I put the floppy in... well, since I'm already talking about it, how exactly could I get the floppy out without damageing the drive? the tape is stuck to the little platform that holds the floppy. and the stuff must have melted or something, cuz its stuck like superglue..:mad:

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
840quadra said:
What are you capturing the video to?

I have a VHS Setup connected to my 8500 (g3 400), but the internal Disks are too slow currently. I am debating about buying (or finding) an 18gb 50 pin SCSI drive to do it with, but I would much prefer to capture them over the network, or buy a PCI IDE setup for this computer.

Also what software are you using?

I have Strata Video shop, Fusion Recorder, and the built in Apple Video player.

Aren't these systems fun! :)
Using 2 external 2GB JAZ drives for capture. The internal HDs are too small (1GB and 517MB) for 5-7 min. clips. Using Avid VideoShop, also have Strata Videoshop and built-in Apple Video Player. I turn off AppleTalk for better performance (Avid recommends this). The slow part for me is transfer of files. I first put them on the internal HDs and then send them across the network to the G3. I can't copy directly from the JAZ drives, always errors out.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Dane D. said:
Using 2 external 2GB JAZ drives for capture. The internal HDs are too small (1GB and 517MB) for 5-7 min. clips. Using Avid VideoShop, also have Strata Videoshop and built-in Apple Video Player. I turn off AppleTalk for better performance (Avid recommends this). The slow part for me is transfer of files. I first put them on the internal HDs and then send them across the network to the G3. I can't copy directly from the JAZ drives, always errors out.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good video machine. I really miss Video capability being inside their Power Macintosh computers!

I am guessing that I will need to go with the internal drive route because I want to transcode Taped TV shows, and actual VHS movies. The files get big fast, so I assume that I will need gigs of disk space.

Cassie said:
useing my G3 Rev. A 233 MHz iMac tto post this right now (The reson I use my old 98 windows box over this one... well, it's faster, has more space, and more software availible. I use this one when I don't mind waiting 2 minutes for mac rumors to come up:D )

That's strange ?

When I fully switched over to Mac OS X for my primary computer, I was previously using a Pentium III 450 for my home computer (I also had 1.3 Ghz Dell from work). The computer that had me switch to OS X is still in use today. At the time it was a G3 350 with 256mb of RAM. I found a much easier time finding Valid, non spyware, non shareware, good programs for OS X, than I ever did for XP. Clock speed aside, the G3 running OS X was much faster than my 450 running 98 or XP at most anything I did.

</rant>

Speaking of my G3 tower,

Today I pulled the G4 500 ZIF Processor, and put in the G3 350 again to do some.. well.. :)

Picture 2.jpg

It actually encodes these fairly fast. Not as fast as a G4, but I am one of those strange dudes that likes to do lots with very little :)

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Today I transferred photos from my Quicktake 200 digital camera using OS 8.6, though I really would find it convenient using this on OS X; I'm going to try to get it running on XP at least. I also grabbed some much wanted time becoming reacquainted Mac OS X Server 1.0.2 (I believe that's Rhapsody 5.5, but I'd have to run uname -a again), and soon I hope to be grabbing some more time with A/UX.

I've neglected OS X Server and A/UX for a long time now, but I want to become reacquainted with them. I hope to converge all my serving duties to one machine or the other; barring that, at least, I want to converge them to OS X Server 1.0

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Lixivial said:
Today I transferred photos from my Quicktake 200 digital camera using OS 8.6, though I really would find it convenient using this on OS X; I'm going to try to get it running on XP at least. I also grabbed some much wanted time becoming reacquainted Mac OS X Server 1.0.2 (I believe that's Rhapsody 5.5, but I'd have to run uname -a again), and soon I hope to be grabbing some more time with A/UX.

I've neglected OS X Server and A/UX for a long time now, but I want to become reacquainted with them. I hope to converge all my serving duties to one machine or the other; barring that, at least, I want to converge them to OS X Server 1.0

Sounds like you and Macrumors user RacerX would get along quite well. He is the resident king of the classic Rhapsody, and first generation OS X Server software packages.

I am still hoping to get a version of this software for myself, and also play a bit!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
840quadra said:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good video machine. I really miss Video capability being inside their Power Macintosh computers!

I am guessing that I will need to go with the internal drive route because I want to transcode Taped TV shows, and actual VHS movies. The files get big fast, so I assume that I will need gigs of disk space.

That's strange ?

When I fully switched over to Mac OS X for my primary computer, I was previously using a Pentium III 450 for my home computer (I also had 1.3 Ghz Dell from work). The computer that had me switch to OS X is still in use today. At the time it was a G3 350 with 256mb of RAM. I found a much easier time finding Valid, non spyware, non shareware, good programs for OS X, than I ever did for XP. Clock speed aside, the G3 running OS X was much faster than my 450 running 98 or XP at most anything I did.

</rant>

Speaking of my G3 tower,

Today I pulled the G4 500 ZIF Processor, and put in the G3 350 again to do some.. well.. :)

View attachment 58693

It actually encodes these fairly fast. Not as fast as a G4, but I am one of those strange dudes that likes to do lots with very little :)

Well, I'm running OS 8.6 on it. I should've waited to buy it! grr... I payed $90 for it a year ago with only OS 8.5 installed no other software. Now on ebay i see "buy it nows" for imacs coming with keyboard, mouse and OS 9.1.. for $30!

Good news for some people: want to buy an iMac G3? Do it now.:D

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Lixivial said:
I also grabbed some much wanted time becoming reacquainted Mac OS X Server 1.0.2 (I believe that's Rhapsody 5.5, but I'd have to run uname -a again), and soon I hope to be grabbing some more time with A/UX.

Yeah, 1.0.2 is Rhapsody 5.5. That is a great version... very stable and you can upgrade Blue Box to 8.6 (very helpful for running Carbon apps).

Currently I've been spending all of my Rhapsody time in 5.6... my ThinkPad has been running OPENSTEP 4.2 (rather than Rhapsody 5.1) since school started since I need some of those apps (like Geomview).

I've been thinking that I've been neglecting A/UX for a while, and the fact that I don't even talk about it on any of my sites has been a rather strange omission (well, not too strange... the Penelope A/UX site is so complete that it would be hard to add anything useful).

840quadra said:
I am still hoping to get a version of this software for myself, and also play a bit!
The last copy I saw on ebay went for under $30 (winning bid plus shipping), so I'm hoping that the prices are going to stay down for a while. Of course as with everything on ebay, price is determined by supply and demand.

As for the topic of the thread... every Mac I own qualifies, so I'd be posting a report of my daily computing activities (which would get old pretty fast). :D

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
840quadra said:
Sounds like you and Macrumors user RacerX would get along quite well. He is the resident king of the classic Rhapsody, and first generation OS X Server software packages.

Indeed! RacerX's extensive resource has provided me with much of my ability to get Rhapsody up and running on a tired and beaten ThinkPad 380ED. Though the built-in 760ED video drivers don't work, so I'm stuck at 2-bit B&W. I also grabbed many of my apps from his site & blackcube.org. Great resources.

RacerX said:
Yeah, 1.0.2 is Rhapsody 5.5. That is a great version... very stable and you can upgrade Blue Box to 8.6 (very helpful for running Carbon apps).

Indeed, that's something I was prospecting and playing around with, but haven't dove fully into it yet. I haven't had Rhapsody for as long as I've had A/UX, so I'm still playing around with everything inside it. Something I found interesting is that my CDs are actually labeled like the ones you mention here.

I'm curious as to whether or not Rhapsody 5.5 would accommodate a G4 upgrade card, because according to one of your linked articles to StepWise, only Rhapsody 5.6 will accommodate the PMG4s. I'm not really a fan of CPU upgrade cards, but it's a curiosity I'd had.

I've been thinking that I've been neglecting A/UX for a while, and the fact that I don't even talk about it on any of my sites has been a rather strange omission (well, not too strange... the Penelope A/UX site is so complete that it would be hard to add anything useful).

The Penelope A/UX site is a great resource, too, and it's where I've pulled a lot of essential binaries, such as Apache. They also provide an extensive list of documentation, too.

RacerX said:
As for the topic of the thread... every Mac I own qualifies, so I'd be posting a report of my daily computing activities (which would get old pretty fast).

I don't know, seeing that triple monitor setup running, what was it, System 7.5.5 or 7.6? Yeah that never gets tired on the eyes. I remember seeing a post of it, a long while back, in the "Post Your Mac Setup" thread, or somewhere similar. :D

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Lixivial said:
Indeed! RacerX's extensive resource has provided me with much of my ability to get Rhapsody up and running on a tired and beaten ThinkPad 380ED. Though the built-in 760ED video drivers don't work, so I'm stuck at 2-bit B&W. I also grabbed many of my apps from his site & blackcube.org. Great resources.
I'm always glad to hear that my site has been of help to people. Some times I wonder if I'm the only one who visits it (part of the reason for putting it up was so I could refer back to things that I had forgotten).

Indeed, that's something I was prospecting and playing around with, but haven't dove fully into it yet. I haven't had Rhapsody for as long as I've had A/UX, so I'm still playing around with everything inside it. Something I found interesting is that my CDs are actually labeled like the ones you mention here.
The large image is my CD, the smaller inset one was sent to me from a friend in Germany (though I wouldn't mind adding that one to my collection some day).

I'm curious as to whether or not Rhapsody 5.5 would accommodate a G4 upgrade card, because according to one of your linked articles to StepWise, only Rhapsody 5.6 will accommodate the PMG4s. I'm not really a fan of CPU upgrade cards, but it's a curiosity I'd had.
No, the changes to the G4 processor (over the 604e that it was based on) were more extensive than the G3 was over the 603e... consequently, you can't even get it running partially (like you could with Rhapsody 5.1 on G3s before Apple issued a patch).

There is a Mac OS X Server 1.2 Upgrade CD out there that can upgrade a 5.3-5.5 installation to a 5.6 installation. Once upgraded it should handle (to the best of Rhapsody's abilities) a G4 upgrade.

I haven't had much luck with getting the best of performance out of upgrade cards with Rhapsody. I actually traded an 8500 with a G3/300 upgrade to a client for their 8600/300 because of how much faster Rhapsody ran on it.

I don't know, seeing that triple monitor setup running, what was it, System 7.5.5 or 7.6? Yeah that never gets tired on the eyes. I remember seeing a post of it, a long while back, in the "Post Your Mac Setup" thread, or somewhere similar. :D
My Quadra 950... yeah, that is a great system. I have 8.1 running on it, though the main thing I use it for these days is burning CDs (which doesn't use all the monitors) and playing old flight simulators (which does :D ).

It isn't too bad a system speed wise, but I did put an Apple 601 upgrade card in it which helps (as does the 136 MB of RAM).

Sadly everything is taking a back seat to school these days, so I haven't been playing on my systems as much as I normally would. I've been able to get a little something special out of each of them to help with work, but I don't need computers all that much for school.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
installed the 10.4.8 update on my Beige G3 AIO today. seems to be running faster and more responsive. it also seems to have fixed my problem i had with my Pioneer DVR-110D in tiger with it not working properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.