The "Which Case Is Best" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Drummertist, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Drummertist, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011

Drummertist macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from a iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4S. Last year, after going through fifteen cases (and a lot of money), I found the absolutely perfect "unicorn" case for my 3GS. It was amazing; An Otterbox Commuter series with black silicone and gray plastic. On my white phone, it looked like a finely fit suit. Now, I'm back where I was before I found that case.

I'm looking for an amazing case for my iPhone 4S without the lengthy and expensive process. One that is stylish, shows off my phone, fits incredibly well (with no creaking, movement, camera flash-back or hard-to-push buttons) and protects it with medium protection (scratch and a small bit of drop).

Have you found your "unicorn" case for the Verizon iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?
    Tell me what it is and why you love it.

EDIT: I need people who actually have the case and have used it for a period of time. Sorry monkeylui.

2. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I ordered a mophie juice pack air for the 4S. I hope to have it by monday.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

On my iPhone 4 I have tried a generic "gel" case, a Kate Spade rubber (silicone?) case, an Incase Pro Slider (and the original Slider on my 3G), and the Pixelskin HD (original Pixelskin was used with a 3G). I am currently using a Speck Candyshell, which fits Verizon iPhones and the 4S.

Out of all of these cases, my favorite is the Candyshell. It offers a stylish appearance, it's not too bulky, fits perfectly, it is reasonably protective, and I don't have any issues with docking it in my iHome or plugging it in to most things. Yes, the case scratches - but better the case being ruined than my phone being shattered.

I do like the Incase Slider, but I feel that it's not very protective. For your uses, it may be fine though. The gel case (Rocketfish Mobile Gel Case) was also really nice, especially considering the price point.

The Kate Spade case stretched out horribly. I loved the looks and feel, but I can't recommend it. The original Pixelskin stretches a bit too. I am not a fan of the rough/rigid feel of the Pixelskin HD.

4. Drummertist thread starter macrumors newbie

What have you tried that didn't work? I'd like to know what to avoid.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I have some cheap case from a company called "iAccesories". I put it for $6 while on holiday and it's perfect. The only issue is that it is an iPhone 4 case so the silent switch is slightly covered up on the 4S, but for $6 I'm not complaining.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm returning a CaseCrown case right now, that while nice, interferes with the camera's flash. I guess a rule with iPhone 4/S cases is to find one with a pill shaped camera cutout, rather than two circle cutouts.

7. sparkstsa macrumors regular

For me its two cases.

At work... otterbox defender

Everywhere else... bumper

8. utl768 macrumors 6502

i just bought an otterbox commuter online

i usually use incase on my iphones but the ones for the 4/4s seem too slippery

9. richg916 macrumors regular

4s

Bought a LifeProof Case for my 4S, says it's waterproof/mudproof, drop proof etc. Pretty heavy duty case. It's white and grey (matches my phone nicely). Best Buy

10. Degree, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

Degree macrumors newbie

I might get the SGP Neo Hybrid EX + PowerSupport Crystal Protectors
    Or the iSkin Aura, I still don't know what to get! <_<

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

For highly subjective requirements like this you need to provide examples of what you find stylish (and what you do not find stylish). Never assume that your preferences are universal.

12. AlvinNguyen, Oct 21, 2011

AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I have had the following

Speck - Pixelskin
    Mophie- Juice Pack Plus, Juice Pack Air, Juice Pack Air Apple Edition
    Incase Slider - White, Black
    Incase Snap Case - Black Frost, White Frost, White, Clear
    Element Vapor Pro - Black Ops, Silver/Silver, Silver/Orange, First Edition
    Apple Bumper - White, Orange, Green, Black

I'm rocking the Incase Snap Frost currently. I think it's the most comfortable, thin, and overall best to show the white on my 4S

[​IMG]

13. Drummertist, Oct 21, 2011

Drummertist thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone try the iSkin Claro TPU case?

[​IMG]

I like see through and frosted cases. Not big on hard plastic without some silicone or plain silicone cases. Big fan of bumper cases and TPU material but haven't found the right bumper yet.

14. maliu macrumors 6502a

Lifeproof, slim, protective and down right awesome. Had mine since June.

www.lifeproof.com

15. yrrej macrumors regular

do you still have the white incase snap? do you think you can post some pictures of it on the phone?

16. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I'd like that snap case if it had the top covered. That is a great collection you have there though!

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

My first try was a CaseMate POP but it's a bit bulky and doesn't fit just right around the volume buttons. Next one I am going to try is an Incipio NGP. Seems a bit slimmer but still enough protection for waste high drops. It's cheap to boot. Without AppleCare+ I would be going with either an Otterbox Commuter or Reflex but with $49 for a replacement I'm going slimmer.

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I currently have the white 4S and have the front and back crystal screen protectors on it. I almost left it caseless but have the Speck Candyshell white with pink trim on it. I do really like the Speck case as the white compliments the white phone rather nicely and it does give a little rim protection on the front but doesn't affect the screen protector at all. The only con for me is the Speck is a little bulky - not terribly so but definitely not a thin case.

I ordered the Switcheasy Vulcan and the Nude. I received the Vulcan but don't like it at all. It come up over the front and really bubbled the screen protector and then it was creaky when holding it - didn't fit tight enough.

I'm still waiting on the Nude to see if it will be better.

I also ordered the Phone Suit battery charger case for when I'm traveling. When traveling I use the phone constantly for GPS and booking hotels and restaurants on the fly so I need the extra juice. I chose this one over the others as I could get it in white and the technical testing done by independent reviewers say it lives up to all the claims and they do recommend it. I'll write a review once I receive it .

I'm glad I saw this thread as I kind of like the Incase frost one as shown - I may try to pick one up. Were you able t pick that up retail or did you have to order it on line?

19. iBrody macrumors 6502

I have recently ordered the PS crystal front and back combo (must have been one of the last orders before the Euro store ran out of stock).

What kind of camera/flash cut-out is on the back? And does the cut-out interfere with the flash?

Thanks

20. Deputydog2003 macrumors newbie

I knew I bought the right case when...

I agonized over cases for a long time when I "came over from the dark side" and traded the old blackberry for a new iPhone 4S. I liked the idea of the OtterBox Defender but I kept wondering if it is just two darn big. Then after owning the case for a whole two days I got out of my car and forgot that I had laid my 4S in my lap. The phone rolled out of the car and hit the pavement screen down. It was at that moment that I knew that I had bought the right case.

As an aside, for those who like the Defender, but not the holster that it comes with, AT&T wireless stores sell a black leather pouch type case for large phones that fits the iPhone in the OtterBox Defender perfectly. Now I just have to get use to the idea of carrying such a large phone on my hip.

21. Loyola macrumors newbie

I went to check this out since I am looking for case. Are the Verizon and ATT phones different? I noticed that some of the listing on Amazon refer specifically to ATT. In addition I see one that has universal in the product name.

22. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

From that short of a drop (3-4 ft) any decent case would save your iPhone just fine. The otterbox is more for people who work construction zones. Carrying that gigantic case is really sad because the iPhone is such a pretty phone :/

23. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I use an Otterbox Impact case and I love it. The Defender was too much protection/bulk for me plus I hate screen protectors.

Cases that don't cover the top and bottom front bezel are prone to cracking your screen if it lands on that side. I'm amazed by how many cases leaves those areas exposed.

Impact, IMO, is perfect because it provides a terrific silicone grip, not as bulky as Defender and no screen protector, plus adds protection to top and bottom front bezel in case your iPhone falls and lands on screen size.

24. Deputydog2003 macrumors newbie

You're right, it is a pretty phone. No matter how pretty though I question why Apple would make a delicate hand held portable piece of equipment out of GLASS!? Stylish or not I would like to see them go back to the shiny METAL cases that were so famous on the old iPods. Then maybe we wouldn't feel so obligated to buy body armor for it.

----------

The iPhone 4S is the same from AT&T to Verizon to Sprint. The case I was speaking of was purchased at the local AT&T store. I have not seen it myself on the Internet yet.