Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Hi
I would appreciate responses from ppl who have actually had their wrist rest area (whatever you call it) replaced by Apple.
I bought my white MB about a month ago and the telltale stains are appearing on the wrist rest. I've read quite a bit about the situation and understand that Apple does replace the wrist rest. I also understand that if I want to do that I will have to make an appointment at a local Apple dealer. If I want to do this, I want to know what to expect to determine if it is worth it. For those of you who have done this, please tell me your experiences. How long did it take, was it more trouble than is worth just for a cosmetic thing, and does the new wrist rest really stay white? Anything you want to tell me about your experience would be helpful.
Thank you

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Just curious how did you manage to buy a Core Duo Macbook a month ago?

The machines from later production runs (ie: Core 2 Duo) should already have this issue resolved.

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
The operation only takes them a few minutes if they have the parts in. From memory the change the wrist rest, the bezel around the screen and possibly a couple of other parts. I'm surprised tha yours is staining when you only bought it a month ago...make sure you check your serial number with the online help section of apple's website...but don't expect anything more useful than a confirmation that ur computer is elligable for that repair (or not). If your serial number isn't in the right range, you might need to argue your case with a genius.

Unfortunately they can't even check if they've got the part in stock without a genius bar appointment so you might need to go in a few times to get the problem sorted.

...to sum up...if they HAVE got the parts, it'll be a breeze.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Just curious how did you manage to buy a Core Duo Macbook a month ago?

The machines from later production runs (ie: Core 2 Duo) should already have this issue resolved.

I bought it "open box" for a good price precisely because the Core 2 Duos were out :)

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
The operation only takes them a few minutes if they have the parts in. From memory the change the wrist rest, the bezel around the screen and possibly a couple of other parts. I'm surprised tha yours is staining when you only bought it a month ago...make sure you check your serial number with the online help section of apple's website...but don't expect anything more useful than a confirmation that ur computer is elligable for that repair. If your serial number isn't in the right range, you might need to argue your case with a genius.

Unfortunately they can't even check if they've got the part in stock without a genius bar appointment so you might need to go in a few times to get the problem sorted.

...to sum up...if they HAVE got the parts, it'll be a breeze.

Ok thank you
Does that mean I must contact all the dealers in my area to find out which ones might have the part in store?
And to make an appointment with genius--do I do that through the Apple main line or through a retailer?

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Ok thank you
Does that mean I must contact all the dealers in my area to find out which ones might have the part in store?
And to make an appointment with genius--do I do that through the Apple main line or through a retailer?

O yeh, you should find it easier being in the US (?) my only option was my local and quite busy Apple Store.

For booking a genius appointment, you can book online from 00:00 on the day you want to get the appointment online, or you can do it at the store itself for that day. i.e. - not through Apple's main line :)

Sorry about the bold earlier on, i didn't see that it was a CoreDuo...it'll almost definitely be in the right serial range for free repair

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i got my keyboard and screen bezel replaced last week. they did it in about 20 minutes, and it still looks brand new now. it's like having a new computer all over again. i was tempted to re-install OS X to complete the experience :D

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
i got my keyboard and screen bezel replaced last week. they did it in about 20 minutes, and it still looks brand new now. it's like having a new computer all over again. i was tempted to re-install OS X to complete the experience :D

Did it say anything on your receipt about replacing the trackpad too?

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
O yeh, you should find it easier being in the US (?) my only option was my local and quite busy Apple Store.

For booking a genius appointment, you can book online from 00:00 on the day you want to get the appointment online, or you can do it at the store itself for that day. i.e. - not through Apple's main line :)

Sorry about the bold earlier on, i didn't see that it was a CoreDuo...it'll almost definitely be in the right serial range for free repair

I'm not in the US, but close--Canada ;) As far as I know there is no Apple Store in Vancouver but the official Apple retailers here serve that function, right?

Yes, my S/N is within range, thank you :)

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007

Thank you :)
Hey! I just noticed your siggy, Scarlet Fever. I've got a vintage Kramer bass (aluminum neck) cheers :)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I had mine done late last year. They replaced the entire top of the MacBook - the grey panel thing, keyboard and trackpad.

They said at the time it was because one of the materials used in the casing that was causing a reaction with the chemicals/oils on peoples hands. They said this casing had been changed to stop this.

Problem is, mine is staining again 3 or 4 months later. Its pissing me off.

Deenoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
I'm not in the US, but close--Canada ;) As far as I know there is no Apple Store in Vancouver but the official Apple retailers here serve that function, right?

No Apple Store in Vancouver? I highly doubt. There is one here in Ottawa, so there MUST be one in Vancouver (especially that probably Apple products for Canada come BY Vancouver)

spyderracer393

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006

They changed it now (at least in the US), you can make the appointment up to 48 hours in advance from the Apple website, or even in store if you so choose.

hockeymonkey83

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Norfolk, VA
I bought mine in they didnt have the part but ordered it and told me they just to bring it in that day and they would fix it in a hour or so, I notice that the new ones will still get dirty but unlike the old ones it cleans right off.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I had mine done late last year. They replaced the entire top of the MacBook - the grey panel thing, keyboard and trackpad.

They said at the time it was because one of the materials used in the casing that was causing a reaction with the chemicals/oils on peoples hands. They said this casing had been changed to stop this.

Problem is, mine is staining again 3 or 4 months later. Its pissing me off.

really? and those stains do not wipe off?

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Everything is more complicated in Vancouver

Everything related to this issue looks more complicated in Vancouver. No store near me has the part on hand. Not only that, no store near me will order the part beforehand even if I give them the S/N and establish that I qualify. Anyone from Vancouver know a store with a better policy? I only called MacStation and Miles Computers (both downtown, I'm in the West End) as well as Simply Computing on Broadway. Thank you

PuNkErX

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2004
I am Apple authorized to repair Apple laptops, and so far I've replaced about 8 of them. I can get one done in about 15 minutes.
Apple should have them in stock as I just ordered two more Thursday and they were at the office on Friday.
The whole procedure is painless and so far all the MacBooks I've worked on have not had any discolouring return.

The parts that get replaced are the top cover / palmrest and the front bezel on the LCD screen. The top cover is one unit, so the trackpad, keyboard, palmrest, etc are all one piece.

Any questions lemme know.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I am Apple authorized to repair Apple laptops, and so far I've replaced about 8 of them. I can get one done in about 15 minutes.
Apple should have them in stock as I just ordered two more Thursday and they were at the office on Friday.
The whole procedure is painless and so far all the MacBooks I've worked on have not had any discolouring return.

The parts that get replaced are the top cover / palmrest and the front bezel on the LCD screen. The top cover is one unit, so the trackpad, keyboard, palmrest, etc are all one piece.

Any questions lemme know.

Not really a question, but a comment:
None of the Apple dealers/service centers in Vancouver will order the part unless I leave my MB with them, which makes no sense at all. Why would they need to keep the MB while waiting for the part to ship? Why not simply phone me when the part is in? They claim that they cannot verify my S/N eligibility with Apple unless I leave the machine with them, which makes no sense to me.

jhero

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Not near an Apple Store
No Apple Store in Vancouver? I highly doubt. There is one here in Ottawa, so there MUST be one in Vancouver (especially that probably Apple products for Canada come BY Vancouver)

LOL, you are wrong. NO apple store near ottawa. Closest is in montreal. Trust me... def. no apple store in ottawa LOL

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
LOL, you are wrong. NO apple store near ottawa. Closest is in montreal. Trust me... def. no apple store in ottawa LOL

yes i imagine the poster was referring to Apple authorized retailers. poor chap probably thinks ottawa has a chance in the hockey playoffs too :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yeah, I had mine replaced...twice. The first time the issue was so new they hadn't provided the repair center with the new palm rest, so they just replaced it with the same defective plastic. That was months ago, and it's still white.

The bezel around the screen isn't the best (I can pull it off fairly easily), and the keyboard has a definite "loose" feeling to it (compared to my MacBook at work, which has a very firm (and quiet) keyboard.

Oh well. As long as it's in sellable condition down the road so I can upgrade...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.