Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Hard to imagine that four Red Sea cables being cut would do such a thing . . . considering BGP as being what it is, there are only so many alternative paths, no?

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
If the reports that the whole of FB, IG and MSGr are down are correct, it would seem that Meta has a single point of failure somewhere.

Wow! That should just not be possible.

EDIT:
1709668853764.png

• Haha
Reactions: fatTribble

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My Instagram account is working. I haven't really added to it for a long while, but it's quite full anyway.

I wonder if all of Meta is online in Northern California and nowhere else.

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
In my head I'm picturing the last scene from Return of the Jedi, where people and creatures all across the galaxy are celebrating and shooting off fireworks.
You mean the people and Ewoks shooting off fireworks on Endor?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Should’ve kept it offline. Nothing of value would be lost.

This is all over the news as if the world has ended. It’s terrible how much people are addicted to this crap.

Do you have any idea how big a slice of the economy is generated by small businesses on those platforms?
I don’t like Meta either, but there is a price to be paid (by all of us) for shutting it down.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I am the first one to dislike Meta and Zuckerberg, but it is undeniable that the various Meta platforms have an economic impact that runs in the many hundreds of Billions of USDs (to the wide global economy, not Meta’s accounts).
This has been estimated many times in different studies.
In fact, if you are to believe Meta’s own estimates, in the US alone they generate $415 Billion USD in economic activity, annually, and linked to 3.1 Million jobs.

I am no economist, but it seems to me that to shut something like this down from one minute to the next would have negative consequences for all of us.
As much as you dislike Meta (as I do), shutting it down overnight is probably not a good thing.

Reactions: Cape Dave

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Thought it was just my internet connection as my IG kept saying it couldn’t load posts. Left it until just now and see it is working again. Was a needed break from social media for me, not going to lie.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Whenever I hear about Meta or X having any kind of downtime, I think of the final scene from Ready Player One where Wade explains that his group voted to turn off the Oasis for 2/3 days a week in order for people to actually interact AS people and not avatars.

I get that Meta and X generate billions of dollars, regardless of how shady their business dealings or methods are so from an economic stand point, not great if they're down for a few hours.

From a HUMANITY and MENTAL HEALTH stand point, the world could use a few more outages...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.