Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian017

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
Does the 90 day thing only apply if you want to change the AppleID the computer is currently assigned to? Is it possible to have 2 computers with the ability to download past purchases from the same ID

I have past purchases set up with my ID on my iMac, If I tell my MacBook to download past purchases frm the same ID, would this lock my iMac out for 90 days? Or does it only stop my MacBook only from downloading from ANOTHER ID?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I have friends that have three itunes accounts. 1 is German for german content, 1 is english for english content and 1 is american for some content not available on the other two stores.
It is the such a pain in the a** with their media server. It cant download automatically from the other accounts even when changing it manually etc. Always says everything is downloaded. Impossible to get it to work. Due to the 90 day limit.
I understand that apple doesn't want you to share content with other people but if its in same house with devices registered under the same name why in gods name cant you have several working accounts. It frustrates me so much.

I for instance live in Germany with german credit cards etc. German iTunes store doesnt have any english content, WHY THE ******* cant you just choose english???? I then have to get myself british / american gift cards, make a different account from which I then get frustrated about because I cant download something when I want to.

Does the 90 day thing only apply if you want to change the AppleID the computer is currently assigned to? Is it possible to have 2 computers with the ability to download past purchases from the same ID

I have past purchases set up with my ID on my iMac, If I tell my MacBook to download past purchases frm the same ID, would this lock my iMac out for 90 days? Or does it only stop my MacBook only from downloading from ANOTHER ID?

With the automatic downloads thing yes you can download the content automatically on another computer under the same ID. No it doesn't lock it out, the 90 day thing is when changing the computer to a different apple ID to download content purchased by that other ID.

brian017

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
With the automatic downloads thing yes you can download the content automatically on another computer under the same ID. No it doesn't lock it out, the 90 day thing is when changing the computer to a different apple ID to download content purchased by that other ID.

Thanks for the clarification The-Pro :)

I agree it's a PITA been restricted on how you use the stuff you buy, another case of the content holders punishing the honest people. No wonder many people turn to piracy.

I realise I'm violating Apple's ToS by buying items in a iTunes Store of which country I don't reside in, but at least the content providers are still getting paid for their work. I could get my content by less legal means with no restrictions at all, but because I'm honest and like to pay the actors and producers for their work, I'm restricted on when I can use my purchases. It makes no sense :(

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Thanks for the clarification The-Pro :)

I agree it's a PITA been restricted on how you use the stuff you buy, another case of the content holders punishing the honest people. No wonder many people turn to piracy.

I realise I'm violating Apple's ToS by buying items in a iTunes Store of which country I don't reside in, but at least the content providers are still getting paid for their work. I could get my content by less legal means with no restrictions at all, but because I'm honest and like to pay the actors and producers for their work, I'm restricted on when I can use my purchases. It makes no sense :(

I agree.
I dont at all understand why apple only offers content in the language of the given country. I just cant make sense of it. Even germans might want to be able to buy english original version movies. I dont know how it is in other countries but it makes me furious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.