'The Whole Pantry' App Developer Admits Faking Cancer to Boost Sales

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After facing a wave of controversy in March over reports of false claims made towards her cancer diagnosis, Australian indie developer Belle Gibson this week spoke out, admitting that "none of it's true" in regards to her ever having cancer (via News.com.au).

Last month, when $300,000 of her app sales failed to find its promised home at certain charities, the legitimacy of her cancer claims began to be questioned. Gibson is the founder of The Whole Pantry, a healthy lifestyle and diet app that focuses on naturally-occurring ingredients and solutions to complicated recipes.

[​IMG]
    Gibson claimed that her app, which launched in 2013 on iOS, was the culmination of a lifestyle and choices that helped her personally overcome terminal brain cancer, a statement she's now claiming to be completely false when talking to The Australian Women's Weekly earlier this week.
    Amid the firestorm against her, Penguin Australia has stopped selling her book and Gibson has faced monetary troubles as numerous accountants have instructed her to provide any leftover funds from The Whole Pantry's sales to the charities she initially pledged money to.

[​IMG]
    The Whole Pantry Apple Watch app before it was removed by Apple.

The Australian Women's Weekly suggests that Gibson may suffer from Factitious Disorder, whose sufferers feign illnesses and disease to gain a wider audience and recognition. Despite the whole ordeal causing her to shut down The Whole Pantry's Facebook page and even her own personal Instagram account, Gibson hopes her honesty on the matter helps her grow from the situation.
    Apple began promoting Gibson's app The Whole Pantry as a featured spot on its Apple Watch app page, going so far as to fly Gibson out to Cupertino to assist her in being one of the first-wave launch apps for the Watch. The company ended up pulling the app from its App Store, and stopped promoting the Apple Watch version, when the fraud allegations began in March.

Note: Due to the controversial nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: 'The Whole Pantry' App Developer Admits Faking Cancer to Boost Sales

2. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

" Gibson may suffer from Factitious Disorder, whose sufferers feign illnesses and disease to gain a wider audience and recognition."

come on now.

4. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

5. FrizzleFryBen macrumors 6502

Okay, she has mental issues and lied... Profiting from false claims, is that a crime in AU?

Where's the money that was supposed to be donated? Isn't that a crime?

Does anyone know what % was supposed to be donated?

I can't believe her smug, "can't we all just get along" attitude

6. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

I don't think she's going to get the kind treatment that she's naively hoping for.

She's basically said something like "I think all the people I stole from will understand me, and will want to give me a cuddle".

If only that was the way the world worked...

7. kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Seems reasonable...

An apology that doesn't answer for the money going where its supposed to go, that answers the questions we already had the answer for (and proof of), and then goes on to explain about how the situation is all about the

LYING, THIEVING, VICTIMIZING

individual. Poor her...

Yeah, that works.

When the money is where it should be, when she pays for the lives she wrecked with bullsheite, and doesn't make it a pity me trip... then it MIGHT qualify as an actual apology. No, I won't treat you with respect until these things are done, AT MINIMUM. You screwed up, and you need to EARN respect back. No, it is NOT a given.

8. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

What she has done is mass fraud. I Think she needs to go to jail.

9. ninjadex, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

ninjadex macrumors 6502

From the News.com article:
    "The young mother — she has a 4-year-old son called Olivier — claims she was forced to take care of herself from the age of five."

From an article in September 2014 in The Age
    ""When I was first diagnosed - my mother fell into complete denial and fear and I had to let go of that relationship". "

Time to spin it in a new direction, eh?

10. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Had the same thought. There's apparently some medical reason you can fall back on to explain anything you don't want to take personal responsibility for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought people were more honourable when I was a kid.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

An absolutely horrible, terrible excuse for a human being. Sickening.

12. extricated, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

Well, she obviously succeeded in avoiding brain cancer. :rolleyes:

Sad that someone would do this.

13. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

If that was true there would be no politicians there. That said I just can’t understand why people in the public eye do this. I could get away with it as I’m not in the spotlight, but her? Somebody, somewhere is going to find out.

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

People saw through her lies about being a victim of cancer, so now she's saying she's a victim of being ridiculed.

Uh, yeah. You deserve that. You're not supposed to like being ridiculed. You deserve a hefty fine and prison time for the lies you've said, in addition to the ridicule.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The snake oil salesman of today.
    All for the money. Hope she gets none at the end.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Have you got a slow news day, this story broke more than a month ago?

http://www.flamingopink.com.au/2015/03/belle-gibson-whole-pantry-cancer-scam/

17. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

What a horrible thing to do to generate sales.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Oh my god. This.

This has been increasingly common, and it's sick.

At least she has a recurring theme now. Faking illnesses.

20. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

She did wrong, perhaps broke the law. But, me buying an app is if it's good and needed, not if the developer has cancer or had cancer.

21. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

This is business...sadly.

Unethical business.

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

and she dares to call herself the victim? like lmao

23. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Did this actually happen? I can't believe this actually happened!

24. bpcookson macrumors 6502

bpcookson