Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mashiach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
In a House Near the Sea
Now me and a friend have been sat here for two hours trying to sort this out scouring the web as we do.

Firstly started friends mbp up and the screen didn't do anything but i can access his mac from screen share and use it. When checking system profiler it is saying he has an intel GMA 64 mb shared graphics card when the sr mbp was shipped with a geforce 8600 he has the same mbp as mine an thats what mine has.

Can anyone figure out what to do to get his screen working again.
Like i say i can access his mac and use via mine with screen share.

It also seems like i cant use his track pad but i can click things. his keyboard and soundcard work too.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
From what I read it looks like a GPU issue. You may need to take it to apple fro repair.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
driver problem? back up his data and reinstall the os :)

K

If it was a driver problem I would think that it would just operate weirdly but system profiler would recognize the card all the same.

From what I read it looks like a GPU issue. You may need to take it to apple fro repair.

Hence what your saying may make sense, if I am correct, in that because the GPU is toast the system is trying to revert back to the onboard integrated graphics instead.

It will be a full logic board replacement which is £600 odd if your not covered in anyway. Wonder if this is another case of the nVidia chip problem?

Mashiach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
In a House Near the Sea
yeh we phoned apple and they said the same thing logic board replacement.

What do you think though he has replaced his hard drive should he take it out before he sends it off and put the old one back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.